Chevrolet Colorado & GMC Canyon Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Nation Affiliate
1,005 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im found a 5-link setup from a link yall lead me to but i have a question. I have read in magazines about a colorado bagged out on 22s like i am planning and he had to narrow his axle like 3". Is this necessary or not?

·
Registered
1,920 Posts
Yes and No.

Everyone I know has narrowed the rear end. Except for me and Speed81.

If you get a billet wheel where you can select the back spacing you don't need to.

If you want chrome wheels and what not and have a wider selection of 22s yeah you will need to shorten it.

·
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
5,884 Posts
Upstatelowridin or whatever his name is from "over there" with the Superior Blue RC didn't narrow his rear either, he's got billet wheels. I think Bonspeed Laguna's or something.

·
Registered
178 Posts
I just talked to a shop that did a crew cab on 22" ARE rims, and they did a rear-end swap. They bought a 6-lug Nissan rear end from a wrecking yard for 100 bucks, and supposedly everything bolted up like stock.... it was just a bit shorter than the Colorado axle. Wish I would have known that before I spent $750 to shorten mine :(

·
.:: MR. September ::.
247 Posts
Yes and No.

Everyone I know has narrowed the rear end. Except for me and Speed81.

If you get a billet wheel where you can select the back spacing you don't need to.

If you want chrome wheels and what not and have a wider selection of 22s yeah you will need to shorten it.
X2..

I just talked to a shop that did a crew cab on 22" ARE rims, and they did a rear-end swap. They bought a 6-lug Nissan rear end from a wrecking yard for 100 bucks, and supposedly everything bolted up like stock.... it was just a bit shorter than the Colorado axle. Wish I would have known that before I spent $750 to shorten mine
hmmmm interesting. so I take it the rear end was out of a hardbody? I might look in to this because next summer I am planning on bumping up to 22's in the rear.

·
Registered
178 Posts
X2..

hmmmm interesting. so I take it the rear end was out of a hardbody? I might look in to this because next summer I am planning on bumping up to 22's in the rear.

let me know.. I can drive by and ask the guy about the axle... I think I am going to have this other shop redo my entire rear suspension all over again.....

·
Nation Affiliate
1,005 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
That is interesting let me know as well cause i got a lot of scrap yards around and my life easier if necessary to narrow.

·
Premium Member
732 Posts
I did not have to narrow my rear end, running stock extreme wheels as of right now, the rear is set up to run 22's

·
Nation Affiliate
1,005 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Just thought about this and why would billet rims make a difference from chrome?

·
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
5,884 Posts
Just thought about this and why would billet rims make a difference from chrome?
You can pick the width and offset of a custom billet rim whereas with a regular off the shelf rim you can't and are limited in your choices for offset/width. Most regular off the shelf 20/22" wheels won't have a high enough offset to tuck in the rear.

·
Registered
94 Posts
billet wheels are custom made to order and you can get the backspacing and widths to the dimensions you need. chrome wheels are set sizes basically

·
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
5,884 Posts

·
Nation Affiliate
1,005 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
That is a very pretty penny is it possible yall could show me what kind of spacing yall used and how they look on yalls trucks

·
Registered
178 Posts
That is a very pretty penny is it possible yall could show me what kind of spacing yall used and how they look on yalls trucks

mine has 22" x 10" Diablo's with 43mm offset. The front tucks because of the camber, but the rear needed another 1" to tuck. The bad thing was that 43mm was the most that the rim could be cut down to without being a hazard or giving the manufacturer liability problems. So the axle was narrowed a couple of inches.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts