Chevrolet Colorado & GMC Canyon Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Cst spindles are in. Here's some pictures of the suspension. Shows the angles on the ball joints.

I happen to have some spacers for the upper ball joints. Hoping that will help out with the angle.

My question ; Can I flip the lower ball joint? I imagine that would be called a tie-rod flip lol. Is that safe/possible? My guess is no it's not because it looks like it seats at an angle in the spindle

·
I'm "That Guy"
1,185 Posts
There's a whole thread about flipping the tie rod...search for it. Long story short, if you do it, you'll have massive bump steer unless you do a custom UCA with uniballs and spacers to make the geometry correct again.

·
Registered
435 Posts
My question ; Can I flip the lower ball joint? I imagine that would be called a tie-rod flip lol.
A ball joint flip and a tie rod flip are 2 separate things.
Balljoint spacer will help with your balljoint angle but not your tie rod angle.
But my, opinion your balljoints aren't at any extreme angle.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thank you for the reply. I'll be leaving the lower alone, but will be putting the spacers on the upper tomorrow

·
Registered
435 Posts
Yours aren't to bad. But flipping it and a spacer on the top ball joint will certainly help.

Edit..You do plan on flipping the upper, then adding the spacer right?

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
I didn't plan on flipping the upper. Have tomorrow off, I'm adding the spacers. Think I should flip them while I'm in there?

I had considered flipping the lower, then The Google told me it was gonna be a pain in the ass.

·
Registered
435 Posts
I didn't plan on flipping the upper. Have tomorrow off, at the least I'm adding the spacers. Think I should flip them while I'm in there?

I had considered flipping the lower, then The Google told me it was gonna be a pain in the ass.
You have to flip the uppers in order for the spacer to b effective.
Its simple just drive the bolts out and press them in the other way pointing up. I used a deep socket and a vice to press my bolts back in. Reinstall it in the control arm on the under side. And use red Loctite.
V link V

http://www.355nation.net/forum/how-chassis-suspension/27148-how-ball-joint-flip-6.html

·
Premium Member
670 Posts
The tie rod end ball joints and spindles have a tapered seat area that only works in one direction. You would have to machine the spindles and use a larger diameter tie rod stud ends for it to work properly. Having the tie rods at such an extreme angle will cause bump steer on the rough roads and excessive tire wear.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts