Chevrolet Colorado & GMC Canyon Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've seen this topic posted everywhere, still no solution found.

Driving through SF on a sunny day at an intersection on Van Ness going uphill...
Gauges start flickering up and down
ABS Fault and Traction faults begin flashing on the dash
The engine rpms surged, then fell, and the engine died.
Didn't have AAA, went to the firestone nearby and bought a brand new battery to get out of SF.
Fortunately that worked.

After a couple days back home, the colorado wouldn't start back up. No crank, no click, no dash lights work, nothin.

This is the trucks first major problem.

Alright so, things about my truck, and what I've tested already...

[*]5cyl 2004 chevy colorado regular cab.

[*]Check engine light does come and go due to a p0300 and p0171 code, which I found results from a leak in the exhaust manifold (due to a bolt which was broke off in the engine block that is a piece of *&%! to remove, so I just left it.)

[*]New tires, and brakes are good.

[*]12 in subs in the back of the cab, had them there from previous owner. No problems resulted in over 6 years from the subs and stereo, (maybe now?)

[*]HID's just installed about 2 months ago. (Not sure if this could affect the problem.)

AFTER THE TRUCK BROKE DOWN

[*]I took out and checked the alternator, it passed 2/2 times.

[*]Battery checked and tested good.

[*]I replaced the terminal heads on the battery cables. Cables are good, heads were a little shitty.

[*]I replaced the Mega Fuse.

What's weird is when I replaced the Mega Fuse, the truck was dead, completely, no sound from the ignition at all, but after new mega fuse was installed, truck started. I assumed the battery was completely dead, but it wasn't after the fuse was replaced?
Unfortunately the same original issue reoccured after two days, (ABS/traction lights appeared ~~ the truck broke down again.

Since the alternator and battery are good, I assume it has to be the connection between them thats causing the alternator to not recharge the battery.

I read in another forum about the Generator Battery Control Module that could cause connection issues.

Possibly the battery cable heads that attach to the fuse box that slip on top of the Mega Fuse?

Just trying to find the next path to take....

Let me know if any other info can help.

·
Premium Member
3,690 Posts
:welcome:

"What's weird is when I replaced the Mega Fuse, the truck was dead, completely, no sound from the ignition at all, but after new mega fuse was installed, truck started. I assumed the battery was completely dead, but it wasn't after the fuse was replaced?"

"Since the alternator and battery are good, I assume it has to be the connection between them thats causing the alternator to not recharge the battery."

Are you confirming that the battery is "dead", each time that you have this problem? If the battery is not charging, you should see a "Battery" light or get a "Battery not charging" message on the IPC. If both the battery and the alternator are good, you might have a problem with the ignition switch. There isn't a Generator Battery Control Module in your truck. They didn't appear until the 2007 model year.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Th battery is not charging, and I do get an indicator telling me so while driving. Right now the battery is dead or close to it.

Fortunately my truck will start with a new battery or a jump, you think the ignition switch could have something to do with it?

Any thoughts on the PCM?

Just went and bought a multimeter, so I'm researching what would be best to test.

I think it has to be a problem with the charging system. I'll update with the tests in the morning.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.