Chevrolet Colorado & GMC Canyon Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, just got off the phone with my dad and my grandpa's '08 Colorado Z71 wont start. He's had the truck about 3 weeks and this is getting to be a daily problem. Been to the stealership twice with the truck and they tell him everything is fine. But when my dad hooked a volt meter to the battery it was turning 11 volts. Nothing was left on in the truck to kill the battery and it starts first try off a jump. I'm thinking he has a bad battery, but I was just curious if anyone else has had these problems.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
This was with the truck off just sitting there. It has 14 with the truck running. I'm an hour away from the truck right now, but I'm going to have a look when I get there. I hope its just the battery. I'm going to take it to Autozone and load test it just to make sure the dealer actually tested it. Damn, I love working for the zone... best college job ever.

·
Registered
2,643 Posts
Pretty common problem.

·
Registered
3,615 Posts
yeh it is a common problem. they tend to have a dead cell. tell them you want a new battery and if worst comes to worst go get a new battery or sabotage the stock one so they replace it lol

·
Registered
3,789 Posts
yah yesterday a guy came into my work, one of the chevy dealership salesmen and he said the manager at his lot was pissed because they had 15 cars with dead batterys on their lot hahaha

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
It was the battery. The dealership said that there was nothing wrong with it so I took the truck the autozone, tested the battery, and printed the little slip that showed it was bad. Then we took it back to the dealer and got a new one. Wytheville is full of idiots...

·
Premium Member
3,764 Posts
speaking of batteries. I pulled mine a few months ago and swapped for a optima. Well the other day i took a look at it in my garage and noticed it looked like it was expanding. Think im gunna take it somewhere and dispose of it lol.

·
Registered
3,615 Posts
did you/do you guys all have a mopar battery from the factory? i got my truck used with 12k miles and its got a mopar battery in it. thought it was strange but now i really wanna know....so is it?

·
Registered
619 Posts
speaking of batteries. I pulled mine a few months ago and swapped for a optima. Well the other day i took a look at it in my garage and noticed it looked like it was expanding. Think im gunna take it somewhere and dispose of it lol.
Never every put on battery on cement.....take it off as soon as you see this.....seriously.

·
Registered
3,789 Posts
Never every put on battery on cement.....take it off as soon as you see this.....seriously.
I thought with the new batteries now days you can leave them on the ground. They are encased in hard plastic...I have put batteries on the ground in my garage and then put them right back in the vehicle and no problem...Hmmm Mythbusters we need you!!!

·
Registered
3,615 Posts
i think thats only if you leave them on the ground for a period of time cuz i too have taken it out left it on the ground for 15 mins and put it back in....ive never had problems either

·
Registered
2,931 Posts
FYI Kragen/Checker/Shucks takes old junk batteries off your hands and they even give you $3 store credit each battery although they try to act like its a burden to them but fuckem. I take in at least 5 batteries a week i take from work and get hella free shit haha!!!

·
Registered
2,464 Posts
FYI Kragen/Checker/Shucks takes old junk batteries off your hands and they even give you $3 store credit each battery although they try to act like its a burden to them but fuckem. I take in at least 5 batteries a week i take from work and get hella free shit haha!!!
good to know

·
Registered
500 Posts
Ok, just got off the phone with my dad and my grandpa's '08 Colorado Z71 wont start. He's had the truck about 3 weeks and this is getting to be a daily problem. Been to the stealership twice with the truck and they tell him everything is fine. But when my dad hooked a volt meter to the battery it was turning 11 volts. Nothing was left on in the truck to kill the battery and it starts first try off a jump. I'm thinking he has a bad battery, but I was just curious if anyone else has had these problems.
Yes it's pretty common refered to as lot rot happens alot at dealerships where cars/trucks sit for long periods of time

·
Est. 1965
611 Posts
Mine was the same way and two of the other Z71's at the lot had a dead batteries.
Luckily it did not leave me stranded and it was replaced the next day.
I bought mine in Feb 07 and it was very cold for several weeks, I guess that did not help.

·
walking is for the poor
6,854 Posts
I looked it up on yahoo and found this.

Question said:
For years I've been told not to put a car battery down on a bare concrete floor. That it would drain the battery and somehow damage it's rechargeability (sp). Is this true or an old wives tale?
Answer said:
Many years ago, auto batteries were made with a wooden case around a glass jar with the battery in it. Any moisture on the floor could cause the wood to swell and possibly fracture the glass, causing it to leak. Shortly after the introduction of "Hard Rubber" containers, which were somewhat porous and of a less than ideal design, there was a chance of current being conducted through the container of a high carbon content if the moist concrete floor permitted the current to find an electrical ground. These are two of the older reasons for not storing batteries on a concrete floor.

There is absolutely no problem with storing any modern battery on a concrete floor.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts