Chevrolet Colorado & GMC Canyon Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Don't know what is causing the discharging of my battery. Not sure but seems like ever since I had my amp installed its been doing it. No noise from speakers when shut off. Can the amp continue to draw current after the head unit is shut off. Is there a common cause for a battery discharging besides a bad battery as this was recently replaced.

·
Premium Member
5,710 Posts
Was it you who posted this question a day or two ago?
Or was it over at Coloradofans?

If it was you and it was posted over there, the same answers apply.

·
Premium Member
2,499 Posts
The amp itself could haw a parasitic draw or it could be keeping the BCM on if not wired correctly.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
My son-in-laws installed it. If it proves to be the amp, what next besides putting a switch on the wire going from the amp to the battery. Don't know what the bcm is or does.

·
Premium Member
5,710 Posts
BCM stands for Body Control Module.

It more or less interrupts power from the battery to components, such as the window switches. If the BCM fails, windows won't work because the signal never made it from battery to window switch. The BCM controls many things such as turn signals, headlighs, etc.

How long does it take for the battery to run low? Like an overnight thing, or maybe a sort of slow crank if the truck sits for 4 days?

Normally a heavy gauge wire is fed from battery to amp with a fuse. The same heavy gauge wire is used fora ground. A small wire, usually 18awg, is fed from the Remote Turn On Feed from the aftermarket HU (Head Unit) to the amp. The amp then only comes on when the HU is turned on. The Remote Turn on Feed is switched internally by the HU, not the vehicle. If it was not wired that way, then perhaps the amp is always on (look for power indicator light on the amp) even when the HU is off, and/or the ignition is off. He may have attempted to connect the amp to a 12v switched feed and mistook it for a constant feed resulting in the amp always being on.

If not that, other possibilities could be a short in a wire (nicked wire, poorly taped connection, etc.) or a bad amp.

·
Registered
96 Posts
I would say the same as 08canyon, check that remote wire. Use a dmm, while car is off, test that remote wire and see if there is any power. If there is, you will need to rewire that remote, which is quite simple. If not, we'll need to do some more troubleshooting

1 - 10 of 10 Posts