Chevrolet Colorado & GMC Canyon Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey I recently bought a 2011 gmc canyon slt and today I drove it came home it was parked for hour and my wife came home and said the truck was making a loud sound. So I went outside and noticed it was smelling from the hood with a bad burning smell. Could it be the battery? And remind yall it was parked for hours

·
Premium Member
3,564 Posts
Welcome to the Nation.

"truck was making a loud sound" "smelling from the hood with a bad burning smell" Not much to go on here. What did the loud sound, sound like. High pitched or low? Did it sound mechanical? Did you open the hood and inspect the battery? Was the battery hot? Did you check the battery voltage? Does the truck start? Did the loud sound and burning smell go away? Did you disconnect the battery...just in case?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Welcome to the Nation.

"truck was making a loud sound" "smelling from the hood with a bad burning smell" Not much to go on here. What did the loud sound, sound like. High pitched or low? Did it sound mechanical? Did you open the hood and inspect the battery? Was the battery hot? Did you check the battery voltage? Does the truck start? Did the loud sound and burning smell go away? Did you disconnect the battery...just in case?
When I made it outside the loud sound was gone but she said it was very loud. Disconnected the battery and bought it to O'Reilly this morning they tested it and said it was good..but before I Disconnected it I tried to start it but it wouldn't do nothing but the horn and lights was still working

·
Registered
370 Posts
So you drove the truck home and parked it. And everything was running fine at that point? And the truck was parked in the driveway when the Boss came home. She reported hearing a loud sound from the parked vehicle. When you went out to investigate, the sound was gone, but you could smell a burning smell. And you could not pinpoint the source of the smell. Is that a fair set of statements?

Battery tests OK, but vehicle would not start prior to removing the battery.

Are there any aftermarket electronics on the truck. Alarm, lights, remote start, radio?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
So you drove the truck home and parked it. And everything was running fine at that point? And the truck was parked in the driveway when the Boss came home. She reported hearing a loud sound from the parked vehicle. When you went out to investigate, the sound was gone, but you could smell a burning smell. And you could not pinpoint the source of the smell. Is that a fair set of statements?

Are there any aftermarket electronics on the truck. Alarm, lights, remote start, radio?
I narrowed it down to the starter when I pulled the starter out it had that same bad smell. Put a new starter in now it has a rough start and giving a po353 code which indicates a misfire on the 3rd cylinder

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

Yes the vehicle had been parked at home for at least 3 hrs b4 she got home but when I got outside the noise was gone I seen the smoke and smelled the burning

·
Registered
1,441 Posts
Do you have after market remote start? Sounds like something was causing the starter to spin for a few hours until it burned itself up. Don't see how the misfire code would be related, but since you had some type of electrical issue, I'd clear the code and see if it returns.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Do you have after market remote start? Sounds like something was causing the starter to spin for a few hours until it burned itself up. Don't see how the misfire code would be related, but since you had some type of electrical issue, I'd clear the code and see if it returns.
No after market remote start installed and I cleared the code and it returned after driving a couple miles. I'm about to change the coil pack and plugs today and see how it does

·
Registered
370 Posts
When you changed the starter, did you remove the intake manifold? Never had to, but I have read that makes access easier.
If yes, could it be possible a seal didn't seat right causing a misfire?
That code usually traces back to the coil so you are likely on the right track. Let us know how it works out.
Wish we knew why the starter spun itself to death though.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
When you changed the starter, did you remove the intake manifold? Never had to, but I have read that makes access easier.
If yes, could it be possible a seal didn't seat right causing a misfire?
That code usually traces back to the coil so you are likely on the right track. Let us know how it works out.
Wish we knew why the starter spun itself to death though.
No I removed it for the side driver behind the front driver tire and it was nothing about it easy lol but I read the code wrong or it changed because today it's saying the crankshaft position sensor and I'm having a hard time find it now its raining so I have to wait till it clears up

1 - 12 of 12 Posts