Chevrolet Colorado & GMC Canyon Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Quick question here...

I'm trying to wire up a relay under the dash that is switched on with the high beams. The high beams (and flash to pass) are both ground switches, meaning they are sent voltage from the BCM and when the switch is closed, they complete the circuit to a common ground to tell the BCM to hit the high beams.

My question is this: is the voltage across the switch 12v or 5v? I'm apprehensive about running 12v from the battery to the relay and then tying the ground of the relay into the ground of the high beam switch if that ground was only intended for 5v.

Once I get this straightened out, I may post up a how to on wiring LED light bar-style fog lights. I've got them on a switch where you can either turn them on or have them come on with the high beams.

·
Premium Member
3,160 Posts
The ground point for the Multifunction Switch is G106 and is a common ground point. I think all of the circuits that ground at that point are 12 volt. I don't think that voltage matters to a ground point. It looks like all of the light circuits are 12 volt, except the signals to the instrument cluster, and those use the Data Bus.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
You were right, got everything all wired up and working. I'll work on a writeup for the whole thing this week, I think it's a pretty cool setup.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts