Chevrolet Colorado & GMC Canyon Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Member's Technical crew
4,292 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys been really busy been a while since I logged in!
I just finally had some time to really play around the the BCM's, and now I can do some cool things!

Lighting;
-enable/disable 04-06 Colorado/06 h3 style marker drls.
-enable/disable Cdn (compliance drls cannot be turned off ever!) or USA style (drls function but can be turned off by turning switch to the left)
-enable Cdn style bright markers when. Head lights of and switch turned to left.
-turn on off rear split marker lights (h3 style)
-enable/disable front fog lights
-disable drls entirely
-enable cargo lamp

Tires;
Disable tpms
-or set tire pressure from 5-120psi

Traction control system;
Disable or enable

Abs system;
Change from h3 type to Colorado, or from 04-08 to 09-12 style
-change fluid level indicator type h3/ or Colorado

Rear defog;
enable/disable.

Transmission type;
Auto
Manual

Door locks;
Remote keyless entry yes no.

Cruise control light;
Enable/disable

Pretty cool eh! Anything you think I should add to that list? Just in the early stages of development so far. But the TPMs was the most exciting to me. This allows swapping a 07-08 bcm into a earlier Colorado to run the newer clusters. Especially the 210 kpa. 120 mph ones.

I'm looking for 09-12 bcms to play with if anyone has one for cheap even if its beat up. Hit me up if you want to give some BCM programming a whirl.

Thanks -Jamie

Reactions: WV NATIVE

·
Premium Member
1,081 Posts
Please forgive my tech ignorance.

Is it possible to somehow delete the ABS message on the DIC?

·
Member's Technical crew
4,292 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Please forgive my tech ignorance.

Is it possible to somehow delete the ABS message on the DIC?
Depending on why the abs message is being displayed? If could replicate the message I can likely delete it providing its coming from the bcm and not the abs module. What error code do you have? When did the message start?

·
Premium Member
1,081 Posts
Depending on why the abs message is being displayed? If could replicate the message I can likely delete it providing its coming from the bcm and not the abs module. What error code do you have? When did the message start?
I don’t have a message but I’m planning ahead. I would like to delete ABS and thought it would be nice to get rid of the associated DIC warning message. It’s not a necessity but would be nice not clearing the message all the time.

I’ve been slowly chopping up my truck this year and my plans don’t include keeping the ABS.

·
Member's Technical crew
4,292 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I see, that’s interesting! If the bcms sending errors to the cluster I can likely stop the message. But if the abs sends messages direct to the cluster I can’t do anything about it.

·
Registered
63 Posts
I will definitely have some work for you. I want rid of the drls on my 05, TPMS in my 11, and have access to an 09 BCM. When I have the 09 in hand, I can send it.

·
Premium Member
1,081 Posts
I see, that’s interesting! If the bcms sending errors to the cluster I can likely stop the message. But if the abs sends messages direct to the cluster I can’t do anything about it.
I’d be interested to know if it’s possible. I simply have no need for ABS but I’m just enough OCD that I’d rather not have any warning lights/messages.

·
Member's Technical crew
4,292 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I will definitely have some work for you. I want rid of the drls on my 05, TPMS in my 11, and have access to an 09 BCM. When I have the 09 in hand, I can send it.
Ok sweet, yeah love to get get my hand on a 09 BCM.

·
Member's Technical crew
4,292 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I’d be interested to know if it’s possible. I simply have no need for ABS but I’m just enough OCD that I’d rather not have any warning lights/messages.
So far I can only replace class 2 messages with an existing on... so we would need to find a two messages that your truck doesn't use, and I can replace it.. should work to turn out the abs light, and message.
I can change the message that sends the manual upshift light to disable abs light. Now what other light would your truck not use?

·
Member's Technical crew
4,292 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Ok so found one more thing in the code.. Seat belt switch type.
2004-2006 BCM can go either way with the code.. enable or disable passenger presence (2006-12)system or direct seat belt input (2004-05)

2007-2008 bcm needs to have some resistors? Diodes? chips added and one swapped out, plus the code changed to enable the 2004-05 style drivers seat belt switch. Here is what you have to change, very tough to solder tiny little diodes.. or pull up resistors? I got the chips from a fried 2004 bcm. The locations are there for the 2008 BCM:)

Attachments

·
Member's Technical crew
4,292 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
So..yeah now I have a 2004 truck with a fully functioning 2008 BCM, with TPMS, and 130mh/200km/hr cluster:)

So for BCM tunning I need to have your BCM shipped to be, means down time, or I can ship a loaner 2004 bcm with no millage in it, so your cluster millage wont be updated or disturbed. It will light up like a Christmas tree on the dash idiot lights... but who cares.. only temporary.

·
Premium Member
1,081 Posts
So far I can only replace class 2 messages with an existing on... so we would need to find a two messages that your truck doesn't use, and I can replace it.. should work to turn out the abs light, and message.
I can change the message that sends the manual upshift light to disable abs light. Now what other light would your truck not use?
First of all....that’s awesome! Thanks.

My truck could do without any of the Service 4wd messages or anything 4wd related. I swapped in a manual transfer case so I no longer use any of the electrical parts of the 4wd drive system. Does that sound like it would work?

·
Member's Technical crew
4,292 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
First of all....that’s awesome! Thanks.

My truck could do without any of the Service 4wd messages or anything 4wd related. I swapped in a manual transfer case so I no longer use any of the electrical parts of the 4wd drive system. Does that sound like it would work?
Good idea, perhaps, but I don't see much about 4wd in the bcm, I think it Goes directly from the TCCM to the cluster. And from what I know if you have 4wd and you remove the TCCM you don't get any error messages on the cluster do you?

·
Premium Member
1,081 Posts
Good idea, perhaps, but I don't see much about 4wd in the bcm, I think it Goes directly from the TCCM to the cluster. And from what I know if you have 4wd and you remove the TCCM you don't get any error messages on the cluster do you?
Not sure. I know that I had to unplug the dash switches for 2wd - 4H - 4L when I installed a new stereo yesterday and the SERV 4wd message came on.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Abs system;
Change from h3 type to Colorado, or from 04-08 to 09-12 style
-change fluid level indicator type h3/ or Colorado

What is this about? Would changing these settings make the ABS operate differently?

·
Member's Technical crew
4,292 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Not sure. I know that I had to unplug the dash switches for 2wd - 4H - 4L when I installed a new stereo yesterday and the SERV 4wd message came on.
Try unplugging the TCCM under the seat. and see if not message or light on the dash happens. As for the message after the radio.. you likely used a aftermarket radio interface? They do not play nice on the class 2 data buss, I plugged my scoshe chime module in the other day! To test the seat belt chime, chime works. But low and behold its back to its old tricks again.. my brake and ABS light was on and it said serv brakes. Unplugged chime module reset the codes, and no more errors. I just use the RAP mod, and no chimes.. lol dumb chime module

·
Premium Member
1,081 Posts
Try unplugging the TCCM under the seat. and see if not message or light on the dash happens. As for the message after the radio.. you likely used a aftermarket radio interface? They do not play nice on the class 2 data buss, I plugged my scoshe chime module in the other day! To test the seat belt chime, chime works. But low and behold its back to its old tricks again.. my brake and ABS light was on and it said serv brakes. Unplugged chime module reset the codes, and no more errors. I just use the RAP mod, and no chimes.. lol dumb chime module
I’ll try unplugging the TCCM this week and see if the message returns.

As for my stereo I should have clarified what happened. I had to unplug the 4wd buttons, emergency flasher, and traction control button to remove the center trim panel and gain access to the stereo.

I wired up the stereo and was testing everything while the 4wd buttons, emergency flasher, and traction control button was unplugged. The SERV 4wd message displayed but went off after I plugged everything back in. I suspect the message came from unplugging the 4wd buttons because I can’t imagine the flashers or traction control button caused the warning. 🤷🏻‍♂️

·
Registered
63 Posts
I have that 09 module now. Send me an address and I'll ship it to you.

On the ABS, can you change it from 09-12 Colorado to H3? I have an H3 rear axle in my 2011 factory V8 Canyon. The problem I am having is with tone rings. The 355 has a 40 tooth tone ring behind the axle flange. The H3 is the same as a fullsize with a 55 tooth ring inside the axle housing. You can see where this would cause an issue. The 355 ABS is expecting a 40 tooth count and getting 55. It does all kinds of weird things and just about cause me to wreck. Currently I leave the rear sensors unplugged to avoid this issue. My thoughts were leaning toward swapping in the h3 brake master cylinder/ABS (it's all one unit). Reprogramming the 355 ABS module would be far more effective in what I am trying to do.

Kane

·
Member's Technical crew
4,292 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I have that 09 module now. Send me an address and I'll ship it to you.

On the ABS, can you change it from 09-12 Colorado to H3? I have an H3 rear axle in my 2011 factory V8 Canyon. The problem I am having is with tone rings. The 355 has a 40 tooth tone ring behind the axle flange. The H3 is the same as a fullsize with a 55 tooth ring inside the axle housing. You can see where this would cause an issue. The 355 ABS is expecting a 40 tooth count and getting 55. It does all kinds of weird things and just about cause me to wreck. Currently I leave the rear sensors unplugged to avoid this issue. My thoughts were leaning toward swapping in the h3 brake master cylinder/ABS (it's all one unit). Reprogramming the 355 ABS module would be far more effective in what I am trying to do.

Kane
Interesting, I didn't know the reluctor was different. I haven't cracked the case open on the ABS module, it isn't programmable by the dealer through the OBD2 port. So it likely is only able to be read out, and flashed VIA Jtag. If it's a processor I'm familiar with that, may not be too bad.. bad a lot of RD time for that.

It would be easier to swap in the H3 setup, and hydro boost brakes, while your at it! That would be cool:) But what about the front ABS wheel speed, reluctor? And tire size is also going to be different? Perhaps that doesn't matter? Since its taken at the wheel?

Other option swap in a 04-08 abs 3 channel module and just run one brake line to the rear. Your 09-12 has the 4 channel ABS. The early ABS unit doesn't have a rear axle tone ring, just calculated rear wheel speed from the PCM. I should be able to change the abs type in the 09-12 BCM to work with the 04-08 unit. I will check this using your 09 BCM.

My address is
Jamie Groeneweg
4548-206B Street
Langley, BC, Canada
V3A-6P1

I will be moving 5000kms across the country to Ontario. Come June 30th, so as long as it gets here before that, otherwise I'll give you y Ontario address. Please send marked as gift and a low value or they ding me for taxes, on something I didn't buy. Unless your in Canada too, then that doesn't apply.

·
Registered
63 Posts
I can get an ABS module for the 09 up if you are interested. These aren't from my daily driver so no worries on turnaround. Feel free to do all the experimenting with it you wish. Whenever you are done, I'll provide my VIN for programming to my truck. Hopefully you can disable TPMS. That's all I really ask for this one. I would like DRL's disabled on my 05 but it's at the axle shop right now.

The H3 brake system is not hydroboost, it is all electric. From what I understand, the ABS pump functions as the brake booster by charging an accumulator. The lines are routed different as well so it's not as simple as a drop n swap. The wiring is the same but the plugs are different so that would be another issue. The H3 plug would need to be re-pinned with the 355 wires. Then I'm not sure how the system would cooperate with the truck electronics since there would be a VIN discrepancy.

The front reads correctly so long as I use 09-10 H3 front wheel bearings. Tire size is irrelevant as long as all four are the same.

As for going backwards, I'm pretty sure I would also need to swap to an 07-08 cluster. ABS should be functional again but without the all clear stabilitrak message on the bus, the light would be on and DIC would continue to give an error message. Going to the three channel is a whole lot of work for not much gain. All it would really accomplish is turning off the Stabilitrak error message and light on the cluster.

My truck is a 2011 factory V8 Z71 that has H3 suspension front and rear including the e-locker differentials.

I'll get it mailed out this week.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts