Chevrolet Colorado & GMC Canyon Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi all i have a 2005 colorado with a bad bcm tried everywhere to find a new one gm says its discontinued tried reman everyone seems to use dorman but dorman says no availability and not expecting that to change so that leads me to used great i found one installed everything works except it actually starting and running due to bcm vin does not match truck so passlock has fuel system shut down which i expected as everyone says it would need reflash so no problem i called gm and wrong its a big problem as gm says that they cannot change the vin on a colorado bcm and they have no way to fix the problem. has anyone been able to find a way to fix this?

·
Registered
142 Posts
Have you attempted the Passlock security relearn process? The one that takes about 30 minutes? I am not sure that will work anyway until the BCM is programmed, but its free.

And the dealer is telling you it cannot reflash the BCM to your VIN? Have you called another dealer? Are they saying you are stuck until you can get a reman BCM?

that thread looks promising for a repair tech.

or this?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I tried the security I found but I may not be right it was key on crank back to run for 10mins on turn key off 30sec turn key on try to crank still no start. Is this the correct procedure? If there is another i will give it a try.

As for the dealer my local dealer says once a vin has been programed into the bcm it can not be changed and said they have one in their shop now they have had for weeks due to not being able to reflash called another gm dealer he said he could try if I brought the truck and left it but that they have never been successful with anything but new bcm. I am a mechanic for the local municipality where I live and know the service man at the local gm personally and he says that pretty much unless I can find a remaned bcm with no vin stored the truck is unrepairable and basically worth scrap as gm will not give them the ability to change a vin once its in a module.

My next question to him was if a gm dealer cannot remove a vin how does a reman company ie Dorman remove the vin so it could be reflashed? And is the any way to actually bypass the passlock all together?

·
Registered
142 Posts
Those are very valid questions on reman. Maybe give that Ebay vendor an email to see how they work....

You can bypass Passlock in a couple ways. Have a PCM tuner execute a VATS delete on that module. Or, cut the signal wire to the BCM with the truck RUNNING. Thats the tricky part right now. Do some searches on security bypass here. There is a lot.

I do not know how that will work in your situation right now though.

Your procedure is correct

Turn key to crank, then let it sit at run for 10 minutes (until security light turns off)
Key to off for 30 seconds
repeat 3 times.
On the 4th try it should start.

Again, that is in question due to the non native BCM....

·
Registered
218 Posts
From the 2005 shop manual:

BODY CONTROL MODULE PROGRAMMING AND SETUP

BODY CONTROL MODULE (BCM) REPLACEMENT

If the body control module (BCM) is replaced, the following procedures must be performed in the following order:
  1. BCM Reprogramming-Refer to Body Control Module (BCM) Programming/RPO Configuration in Computer/Integrating Systems.
  2. Learning the restraints ID-Refer to Body Control Module (BCM) Programming/RPO Configuration in Computer/Integrating Systems.
  3. Theft Learn-Refer to Programming Theft Deterrent System Components in Theft Deterrent. A new BCM will learn the Passlock information automatically but the PCM must still learn the theft information from the BCM.
  4. Program Key Fobs-Refer to Transmitter Programming in Keyless Entry.
BCM REPROGRAMMING
If the body control module (BCM) is reprogrammed, the following procedures must be performed

1. BCM Reprogramming-Refer to Body Control Module (BCM) Programming/RPO Configuration in Computer/Integrating Systems.
  2. Learning the restraints ID-Refer to Body Control Module (BCM) Programming/RPO Configuration in Computer/Integrating Systems.
  3. Theft Learn-Refer to Programming Theft Deterrent System Components in Theft Deterrent.
  4. Program Key Fobs-Refer to Transmitter Programming in Keyless Entry.
INFLATABLE RESTRAINT SENSING AND DIAGNOSTIC MODULE (SDM) REPLACEMENT
If the sensing and diagnostic module (SDM) is replaced, learning the restraints ID procedure needs to be performed. Refer to Body Control Module (BCM) Programming/RPO Configuration in Computer/Integrating Systems.

PASSLOCK SENSOR REPLACEMENT
If the Passlock Sensor is replaced perform the theft learn procedure. Refer to Programming Theft Deterrent System Components in Theft Deterrent.

KEY FOBS REPLACEMENT
Refer to Transmitter Programming in Keyless Entry for the proper procedure.

·
Registered
218 Posts
...and WRT the reference for the "Programming/RPO Configuration..."

BODY CONTROL MODULE (BCM) PROGRAMMING/RPO CONFIGURATION

INTRODUCTION

The procedures below are designed to set-up the body control module (BCM) correctly during BCM related service. Before you start, read these procedures carefully and completely.

IMPORTANT : The following procedures must be followed:

1. Programming the BCM
  2. Learning the restraints ID
  3. Programming Theft Deterrent System Components
  4. Program Key Fobs
PROGRAMMING THE BCM

IMPORTANT
: After the procedure is completed, the personalization settings of the BCM are set to a default setting. Inform the customer that the personalization must be set again.

Perform BCM special function "Request BCM Info. for SPS", then follow the instructions on the screen. Refer to Service Programming System (SPS) in Programming and Setup for more information.

LEARNING THE RESTRAINTS ID
Perform BCM special function "Setup SDM Serial Number in BCM", then follow the instructions on the screen.

PROGRAMMING THEFT DETERRENT SYSTEM COMPONENTS
Perform BCM special function "Request VTD Info. for SPS", then follow the instructions on the screen. Refer to Programming Theft Deterrent System Components in Theft Deterrent.

PROGRAM KEY FOBS
Refer to Transmitter Programming in Keyless Entry for the proper procedure.

IMPORTANT : After programming, perform the following to avoid future misdiagnosis:

1. Turn the ignition OFF for 10 seconds .
  2. Connect the scan tool to the data link connector.
  3. Turn the ignition ON, with the engine OFF.
  4. Use the scan tool in order to retrieve history DTCs from all modules.
  5. Clear all history DTCs.

·
Registered
2 Posts
My 04 w/100k shot craps on the bcm; replaced entire edition new key and salvage bcm mileage now shows 189k and same no start.

Sending my original bcm to G7 computers in Canandaigua NY for them to repair. This the only place I located that may fix the problem. I asked them to delete passlock and to test the entire board.

·
Registered
2 Posts
hi all i have a 2005 colorado with a bad bcm tried everywhere to find a new one gm says its discontinued tried reman everyone seems to use dorman but dorman says no availability and not expecting that to change so that leads me to used great i found one installed everything works except it actually starting and running due to bcm vin does not match truck so passlock has fuel system shut down which i expected as everyone says it would need reflash so no problem i called gm and wrong its a big problem as gm says that they cannot change the vin on a colorado bcm and they have no way to fix the problem. has anyone been able to find a way to fix this?
G7 computers in Canandaigua NY might be able to help, I'm sending my bcm there this week to see if they can repair if not I have a huge piece of crap chevy. If so this is my last one its an 04 w/100k.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Latest update I was able to get the truck running with the 30min key on key off relearn but security light now stays on all the time radio is locked and ecm and time both have codes for bcm pass code incorrect but truck runs and drives now to find a decent priced tuner to have them disable vats

·
Registered
142 Posts
Keep us posted. Glad the truck is at least functional now. Big step there.
Im curious about that BCM clone service from the Ebay link. That might be the ticket.
I don't think a VATS delete in the PCM will free your radio . You will need expert advice on that though. Perhaps it can be deleted from either side of the handshake .
Knowing that a used BCM will allow the truck to run is a big deal. Now to tidy up the rest.
My 04 w/100k shot craps on the bcm; replaced entire edition new key and salvage bcm mileage now shows 189k and same no start.

Sending my original bcm to G7 computers in Canandaigua NY for them to repair. This the only place I located that may fix the problem. I asked them to delete passlock and to test the entire board.
So they can delete pass lock from the BCM side too? OP will be interested in that too.
The cluster will display the greater of the mileage readings, so that is why yours shows 189k now.
Did you do the 30 minute relearn process, and still no start?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Keep us posted. Glad the truck is at least functional now. Big step there.
Im curious about that BCM clone service from the Ebay link. That might be the ticket.
I don't think a VATS delete in the PCM will free your radio . You will need expert advice on that though. Perhaps it can be deleted from either side of the handshake .
Knowing that a used BCM will allow the truck to run is a big deal. Now to tidy up the rest.

So they can delete pass lock from the BCM side too? OP will be interested in that too.
The cluster will display the greater of the mileage readings, so that is why yours shows 189k now.
Did you do the 30 minute relearn process, and still no start?
I've talked with local Chevy dealership service man he thinks he can unlock radio on radio side if not I can install aftermarket radio. And yes used bcm will still run all body functions and start the truck with no reflash now to figure out workarounds on security light and ecm/time passcode errors but as for functions and drivability everything functions well

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #13

Crazy mine reads 189k now as well. I was able to bypass the no start by doing key on try to start go back to run and leave it for at least 10 minutes then key off for at least 30 seconds then repeat 2 more times on the 4th try to crank it should start hope it helps you until you get your reman bcm back unfortunately mine is not repairable as it melted one whole corner of the board

1 - 14 of 14 Posts