Chevrolet Colorado & GMC Canyon Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Even though I got a Rhino Liner in the bed of my truck, I still wanna get a cover for it. Now I just gotta decide what to get. So, I'm asking for opinions.

Hard cover, soft cover, roll cover, or a cap?

I'm leaning more towards the low-pro hard cover. Don't really like the soft ones much cuz they need the support rails, and with my tailgate not wanting to unlock, that'll make it harder to get stuff in and out of the bed. Roll covers have the box that sits up at the front of the bed, and, as I'm sure we all know, there isn't really enough room to lose like 2 feet for that, especially since I'm gonna have to carry my stuff in the bed after I finish here at WyoTech. A cap? Eh, not really my style. Sure, it gives a lot more room to store stuff, but I just don't like them.

So, any opinions on them? I know it sounds like my mind is pretty much made up, but, convince me otherwise, and I might change it.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I hear what you guys are saying, but the thing is that I'd like something that is lockable, since I'm planning on bagging it. What I was planning on doing is putting the compressor(s) and tank(s) in the bed up by the cab. That way they're protected from the elements, and I don't have to worry about a rock or something kicking up and damaging them. And, if I just get a soft cover, then, if someone knows they're in there, or if someone thinks that there might be something worth stealing in the bed, they could just slice it open. A locking hard cover is a bit more difficult though. But, then again, I might be wrong, and they might be the same. >.<

·
Registered
4,682 Posts
If I had to do it over again, I don't know if I'd get the Checkmate again.

I like the fact it's a flush mount, but in order to get it to look top notch, it's gonna cost you to finish it because they come raw.

It'll end up costing the same if not more than what a Snugtop or Gaylord cover would. And those come painted and everything. There is no hassle of finding a shop that knows how to smooth fiberglass, etc.

Plus, the checkmate just doesn't feel as solid as those do. It's pretty flimsy, IMO.

But it does do the job.

·
Registered
237 Posts
If you're baggin' it, I'd say get a locking hard cover, they're more expensive, but worth it for the looks and security.

I have an Extang Black Maxx and I am very happy with it. The support bars are adjustable and easy to manage. The snaps have 2 positions so you can loosen it in the winter when it is cold and it constricts, or tighten it in the summer when it is warm and gets a little slack. It is extremely easy to roll up or completely remove the tarp and the supports just pop out so you can have full use of the bed while leaving the rails in place. I think it looks great and I never keep anything valuable in the bed, so security wasn't a factor for me. Plus the warranty can't be beat.

·
Registered
515 Posts
checkmate got bought out by gand t truck products. i think they suck now. i used to deal with checkmate for my s10s so i went to get one from them and the new owners sent me the wrong tono cover!

·
Registered
2,464 Posts
If I had to do it over again, I don't know if I'd get the Checkmate again.

I like the fact it's a flush mount, but in order to get it to look top notch, it's gonna cost you to finish it because they come raw.

It'll end up costing the same if not more than what a Snugtop or Gaylord cover would. And those come painted and everything. There is no hassle of finding a shop that knows how to smooth fiberglass, etc.

Plus, the checkmate just doesn't feel as solid as those do. It's pretty flimsy, IMO.

But it does do the job.

Wow thats good to know,thanks for the heads up.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
If you're baggin' it, I'd say get a locking hard cover, they're more expensive, but worth it for the looks and security.

I have an Extang Black Maxx and I am very happy with it. The support bars are adjustable and easy to manage. The snaps have 2 positions so you can loosen it in the winter when it is cold and it constricts, or tighten it in the summer when it is warm and gets a little slack. It is extremely easy to roll up or completely remove the tarp and the supports just pop out so you can have full use of the bed while leaving the rails in place. I think it looks great and I never keep anything valuable in the bed, so security wasn't a factor for me. Plus the warranty can't be beat.
Yea, that's what I was planning. I figured that it would cost a bit more, but with what I'm planning on doing, it would be a small expense.

·
Registered
466 Posts
I have line-x in my bed and still wanted a tonneau as well. i came across an ACCESS Roll-UP for $125 and picked it up and i love it. Although I don't think I could justify buying one new at $479 shipped

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Oh, I would indeed get a lockable hard cover then.
Yup. Now I need to find one. Depending on how much my tax return is, I might either get a bed cover, or maybe a new radio. Well, I guess I'll have something to do when I get home from school now, especially since I haven't even decided on what radio to get. I do know that I want the satellite radio prep package on it though so it's easy to hoom my XM up to.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
1 - 16 of 16 Posts