Chevrolet Colorado & GMC Canyon Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I built a tire carrier yesterday after work, if I was to do it over again I would do a lot of things differently. The goal was to make It pretty simple.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
My original plan was to bolt two pieces of angle iron in the bed then bolt the carrier to those. After thinking about it I decided to just weld the carrier to a plate then bolt it into the bed. If I was to do it again I would have just welded the pipe directly to the plate opposed to having a t joint at the bottom and two pieces of angle iron on either side. if you guys have any questions feel free to ask.

Attachments

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
1 more if you guys want pics of specific things let me know.

Attachments

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I made a few changes to the carrier a while back after it pulled itself out of the bed.... I ditched the flatbar that was at the base then I put a mounting plate underneath the bed that the carrier bolts through. This way it has more material to grab so it wont rip through the bed again. Next thing on the list is to cut the handles down on the part that holds the wheel to the carrier, I didnt realize how long they were until looking at other peoples tire carriers.

Attachments

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yes ill probably end up putting gussets on it.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
More changes...... added gussets, cut down the thread, and I also cut down the handles on the part that holds the wheel to the carrier.

Attachments

1 - 8 of 8 Posts