Chevrolet Colorado & GMC Canyon Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay, so everytime drive over any sort of bumps, pot holes, train tracks my bed seems to rattle uncontrollably. It really bugs the crap out of me and I need a way to fix it.

Any suggestions to fix this problem or any thing cheap I can get to fix it.

Any advice is appreciated. :salute:

·
truck built on Saturday..
5,082 Posts
I guess check the bolts that hold the bed to the frame. If you have a 6" bed I believe there are 6 bolts?
That's the first thing to look at and it's free.
Is anything loose ore broken down there? Have you taken messed with the tube that feeds the gas tank from the bedside?

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I haven't messed with any thing down there no.and I hope that nothing is broken but I'll check as soon as I get home and let you guys know!

·
Premium Member
10,390 Posts
If your just talking about what you see in the mirror as the bed moves independent of the cab ( looks like the bed is wiggling ) its normal as the bed is bolted directly to the frame and the cab sits on rubber mounts so it does not appear to move as much but what your seeing is the rear hits a bump and twists the frame slightly and in turn you see the bed moving

If its something making noise then there has to be something loose or broken somewhere

·
Premium Member
19,139 Posts
While it sounds archaic, if it's a noise, crawl under the back end of the truck and start hitting things (ie: frame and crossmembers) from the bottom to try and recreate the rattle. Then, just listen and follow the noise to the source.

T

·
0 Posts
If nothing loosen or broken, it is normal to see it moving like that, maybe installing a rear swaybar will solve the problem. My bed was moving like crazy with the 3'' body lift, I made a long bar I installed betwwen the frame and bed, and no more wiggling

·
Registered
162 Posts
Just a thought. Could it be those plastic fender liners? They are really loose around the edge. I've came up with a low sounding rattle like some things loose on my truck that I only have pampered since new and never on gravel or off road. Its coming from the left side or left rear when I hit a bump. I got under it and pounded on every thing I could on that side and those plastic fender well covers are the only thing that will thump around when tapped on. But I don't know why they would decide to start doing it if that's what it is. What few screws that hold them are tight.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
If your just talking about what you see in the mirror as the bed moves independent of the cab ( looks like the bed is wiggling ) its normal as the bed is bolted directly to the frame and the cab sits on rubber mounts so it does not appear to move as much but what your seeing is the rear hits a bump and twists the frame slightly and in turn you see the bed moving

If its something making noise then there has to be something loose or broken somewhere
I only hear the rattle sometimes so I think I'm going to check and see if anything is loose, but thanks for the info man.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
While it sounds archaic, if it's a noise, crawl under the back end of the truck and start hitting things (ie: frame and crossmembers) from the bottom to try and recreate the rattle. Then, just listen and follow the noise to the source.
Yeah, that's what I'm hopefully doing this weekend!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts