Chevrolet Colorado & GMC Canyon Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, hope you don't mind a newbie asking for advice. Anyways, I bought my Colorado back in December and have just recently been looking to fix it up. The main thing is the paint on the bed and tailgate.

Here's an album of the problems: Colorado Bed/Tailgate Paint Problems - Imgur

I got a quote at Maaco for $740 for prep and paint work, just for fun. Way more than I would like to spend. I'm wondering if all of that is possible to do myself. I assume I would most likely have to paint the whole sides of the bed, and the whole tailgate. How much work would it be to do this myself? I have little to no experience with auto paint, so I'm not sure how it would turn out, but I think my dad does. The chip on the left side of the tailgate mics out to around 3/16", so I assume it's been fixed and Bondo'd before.

Should I take the bed completely off the truck? I have a 2 ton cherry picker in my garage, if that would make it easier. I guess just let me know what you would do with it, because every time I look at it I get overwhelmed by the amount of work it looks like.

Thanks guys

·
Registered
73 Posts
doing it your self isnt too bad, you can go the rattle can way but you'll have to do a lot of wet sanding to get it just right, you could also get a cheap air gun to paint it the only thing is that quality auto paint is a bit pricy and depanding on how much fade you have the color might not be right, they have computer that do a pretty good job at matching paint but then of course the price might be more since its "custom" paint. Other option look around at junk yards maybe you can get lucky and find one in the same color you have

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
:bump:

It turns out that Maaco might end up being my cheapest option. Victory Red paint is crazy expensive. I'll probably end up doing all of the prep work myself, including the sanding, possibly even Bondo if I need it. Man, I really wish I noticed these spots before I bought the truck.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yeah, it sounds cheap until you actually start looking into it. The shop is giving me a deal of $550 to prep both bedsides and the tailgate and prime-paint-clear all three. Still might do some of the prep myself, not sure how much I trust them to do a good job

·
Registered
486 Posts
It looks like the fender flares are trapping moisture and rusting the fender. I wonder what's under those flares. You might want to pull them off to see.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts