Chevrolet Colorado & GMC Canyon Forum banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello ladies and gents, I've been lurking around the forums for a while. I've had my 09 colorado for almost two years now and I think it's finally time to lower her. Its an LT extended cab. I want to keep as close of a ride to stock as possible. I do not want to notch it at this time so after some searching, I think I am going to try a 3,3 drop and modify the bump stops (or if there is an aftermarket one that works that I haven't found can someone please let me know). I plan on doing DJM lower control arms and MMW static upper control arms in the front (my truck already has an issue with a hair too much negative camber in the front, so I'm hoping with the drop it'll be able to be straightened out with the uppers) and I plan on using Belltech lowering springs in the back. Should I change my factory shocks to Belltechs. I really do not want to use blocks as I hate how they ride. Do I have to worry about pinion angle at all with only going 3 inchs? And will the cab support have to be notched for the driveshaft

edit truck has the stock rims, which I believe is tire size 215/70/16.

·
Monkey Slut!
9,479 Posts
If your looking for stock ride then I wouldn't get those arms, I would use Belltech's drop ball joints instead. Anything lower than 2 inches stock ride goes out the window. Upper arms are really only needed for 4 inches of drop or more but wouldn't hurt anything with less drop. If your looking for new shocks in the front I would go with the adjustable struts, that way you can go lower if you need to later on down the road.

Leafs are fine, just add your overload leaf to them and stock shocks should be fine.

·
Registered
679 Posts
Jesse pretty much nailed this one. That will give you the best ride, close to stock. I personally would buy the front and rear shocks. But yours is an 09 so in sure the stock ones have plenty of life left.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Why are you suggesting ball joints over the control arms? Will I have to worry about pinion angle, and will I be okay without a notch? Like previously stated, I am nervous about my camber issues that I already have so that is why I am going for the control arms. Thanks for the help so far guys.

·
Monkey Slut!
9,479 Posts
Ball joints maintain the factory ride where the arms do not.

Pinion angle isn't a problem with only 3 inches of drop. As long as your only doing 3inches you'll be fine.

If your going with the MMW uppers then you shouldn't have camber issues. The uppers are a little bit longer I believe and should correct it.

·
[MTS] Who is this guy?
3,779 Posts
I am curious @Jesse how is it that the arms don't maintain factory ride? Aside from making your more likely to rub the inner fender...what about them causes the ride to change?

Also OP, I have run 4" blocks on the back of my truck for 8 years now and the only ride quality issues I have had is the stock rear shocks going out and me never replacing them. Oh and of course the occasional axle slap with the big bumpstops removed. With 3" springs in the back you will end up with 3.5-4" drop over time because the Belltech springs are soft. Also with Belltech Springs you most definitely will need new shocks as there will be a decreased travel compared to stock which means your stock shocks will be at least partially compressed at all times.

·
Registered
108 Posts
If I wanna drop my Xtreme, what would be the recommended drop with notching?

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Will I have enough clearance with the stock tires? I really don't want to do a 2,3.

·
Youngen!
6,515 Posts
Like jesse said anything more then a 2'' drop up front your ride goes to shit. Ball joints are the way to go.

If you go 2/3 or 3/3 you will not need a notch. If i did it again id get a notch before i went down to 5'' in the rear, my axle sat on my frame 24/7. If you go with a 3'' rear drop you wont need a notch and you will maybe bottom out if you dont take out your bump stop.

If you wanna go 3/3 or 3/4 just get 2'' ball joints and 1'' belltech adjustable struts for up front then go with 3'' leafs and a 1'' block or just 3'' leafs.

You really have no need for the MMW uca. Take your truck to a good shop and they can align it right.

I didnt get my uca till I was 4'' up front. I am now at 6/7 and have a perfect alignment. And my truck rides like complete shit

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Will the front struts give me a true 3 inches? I am not too fond off the lowering ball joints. Are the adjustable struts, belltechs coilover? Do you have part numbers. I am a mechanic and will be doing the alignment myself. Like previously stated, the truck has camber issues that I was barely able to get out with the stock control arms, so I nervous with the drop making it worse

·
Youngen!
6,515 Posts
Why are you not a fan or ball joints? They are so much better then lca. They are belltech adjustable struts. 0-2'' you can set them at.

For coilovers your looking big bucks.

If you wanna do a 2/3 drop just get a set of 2'' springs and 3'' blocks and call it a day.

·
Youngen!
6,515 Posts
Yup they are coil overs. So you can change the ride height on them If you wanna spend the money on them go for it then add the 3'' leafs aswell.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I'm sorry I feel like such a newb hahah, this is why I'm glad
I posted. Are these the adjustable struts you were talking about? Ride quality is definitely my number one concern, so if I have to spend a little extra for that, I will. Plus this is my college graduation to myself.

·
Youngen!
6,515 Posts
No i have actually struts that have spacers you can add or take out for more or less drop. But If you want go with the adjustable coil overs and leafs and you should ride pretty good. You will also set your self back about 1k. And it will take awhile to get a set of MMW uca. I waited a good 2 months!

·
Premium Member
798 Posts
I'm sure you see people have different opinions on the subject of lowering. A couple things most can agree on.
1) You do not need UCA's for a 3" drop.
2) You don't need a notch for a 3" drop.
3) When you lower your truck you will notice the "Chevy lean" more. That is the drivers side is about 1/2" lower than the passenger side. Also that the differential housing is not centered in our trucks from the factory. So your right side tire will stick out more than the left.

From that point opinions differ. So here is mine.
I noticed you said you have an issue with negative camber, you need to check that out first to see the cause. I have DJM LCA's. When I first installed them I put KYB struts on and had a good ride. I have since went to KW/Belltech adjustable struts so I can go lower than 3". The ride is still great. Another opinion you didn't mention is QA1's and how much you wanted to spend on the project. I think most agree with a 3" drop in the front your stock wheel/tire combination will cause you to sometime rub the inner fenders on bumps. Any change to the stock geometry takes some thinking on what you will need to keep you ride quality. Alignment should not be a problem from a good shop.

Regarding the rear I have 4" blocks and have never used springs so I'm not in a position to comment on them. My 4" blocks work good and it keeps the stock geometry. I have KW/Belltech rear shocks on my truck. I've heard others say what Skizzo said about the Belltech rear springs being soft and over time losing tension and taking your rear drop lower. Something to consider if you even carry anything in the back of your truck. If you do consider blocks not sure you know this or not, you need the correct ones as 09+ trucks have a larger centering alignment pin than earlier trucks. You can get the correct blocks from JTR.

Good luck man 3/3 will look good on your truck I'm sure.

·
Registered
2,686 Posts
since you live in NY i would not do more than a 2" drop, you will hate it
if you go lower. this will give you a factory type ride for BAD roads.
the Bell Tecs from Summit work very good for bad roads. i used them.
also the blocks from JTR. check your pinion angle after you drop. JTR also
sells the 2 and 4 deg shims

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I ended up going with the belltech coil overs for the front and the belltech leaf springs for the back, I think this will have me happiest until I finally notch it. Should I check my pinion angle or will I be okay? I plan on notching the cab support just for safe measures

1 - 20 of 45 Posts