Chevrolet Colorado & GMC Canyon Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
500 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
finished lowering my truck and theres not much of a diffrence in the front will the springs sag much beltech 2 inch

·
Registered
500 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
thanks for the help guys i'll start with one coil, the back looks good though 3 inch blocks

·
Registered
3,608 Posts
I just cut a coil off my DJM springs and it didn't drop it near an inch. maybe 1/2

·
US Army 19yrs and ......
45,284 Posts
Belltech? Yeah, either cut them or heat them up. Either one will do the job.

Jeremy

·
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
5,884 Posts
You should never heat a spring.

·
US Army 19yrs and ......
45,284 Posts
If if you don't know what your doing. I've done it numerous time as well some of my buddies and we never had an issue with it.

Jeremy

·
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
5,884 Posts
No, a spring is tempered steel. It's heat treated and has certain properties that make it work like a spring should. If it worked for you in the past you were lucky. It's not a matter of skill, to make the spring collapse you're heating it to a point of failure. When it cools it no longer has the same properties it had before and it's a problem waiting to happen. I'm not trying to be a dick, but that's not information I'm willing to watch someone give out without saying something. I've seen what happens over time to a spring that's been heated.

The picture of the spring on the left is a good example.

·
US Army 19yrs and ......
45,284 Posts
Well, yes it is not the preffered method, but it has been done since the 40's by the old school hot rod guys. Again, I've never had problems with it. The last truck I did this to was one of my Soldiers 01 S-10 and there was no problem.

Now on my truck I have saved the money and buy the right stuff and don't use the freeby mods on my truck(lowering). I bought coilovers/ balljoint drop and there it is.

Again, it has been a tried and true method for lowering cars and trucks alike. We don't have to agree on it, but it is what it is.

Jeremy

·
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
5,884 Posts
I know it was done in the past by old school hot rodders when there weren't any companies making lowering springs. Just because something was done in the past to get by because there was no alternative doesn't make it smart today. A heated spring will fail over time, the life of a spring that's been heated is significantly shorter than one that hasn't.

You're right though, you might get lucky with a heated spring and not have any problems. Then again, it might crack where it's heated and fail one day when you're driving down the interstate. It's the suspension to your vehicle, and isn't worth taking the chance IMO. Cutting a spring isn't really ideal either, but that's mainly because it changes spring rates and isn't good for a vehicle that you want reach it's full handling potential.

·
Registered
2,931 Posts
I would NEVER heat any spring to lower thats just askin for trouble plus its ghetto.

·
US Army 19yrs and ......
45,284 Posts
I know it was done in the past by old school hot rodders when there weren't any companies making lowering springs. Just because something was done in the past to get by because there was no alternative doesn't make it smart today. A heated spring will fail over time, the life of a spring that's been heated is significantly shorter than one that hasn't.

You're right though, you might get lucky with a heated spring and not have any problems. Then again, it might crack where it's heated and fail one day when you're driving down the interstate. It's the suspension to your vehicle, and isn't worth taking the chance IMO. Cutting a spring isn't really ideal either, but that's mainly because it changes spring rates and isn't good for a vehicle that you want reach it's full handling potential.
Well I will say this too, and that will be it from me on this topic. I completely see and agree with your ideals on this topic; Hence the reason I have not used either of those methods on MY rado. My rado only gets the best and NO short cuts, all Belltech and new.

But like you said, you can use it to get by. And that was something I SHOULD have made clear on the original post I made.:dawg:

Jeremy

·
Registered
500 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
When are you getting your rims on???
as soon as i find a place to cut them down for a reasonable price. I might just ship them to cali my wheel guys down there said the would do it for next to nothing if i paid for shipping :D

1 - 20 of 23 Posts