Chevrolet Colorado & GMC Canyon Forum banner

1 - 20 of 77 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
so I've done some searching... alot actually, even on "that other site" and I've got all kinds of options and part numbers for doing a 2/3 drop on my Z85. I wanna know what works best. The 2/3 drop seems to be the most common... i'm considering going 3/4 but have some conserns on clearance.

So whats works the best for a drop?
Front - Drop coils, A-arms, Coil Overs, Ball joints??
Rear - Drop leaf spring or Bocks (but probably both)??

:355:

·
Quadruple O.G.
5,624 Posts
If you want 3 go arms if you want 2 go ball joints if you want looooow go coilovers.

For the back I dont like using anything more than a 3" or 4" block with stock leafs. If you have the $ for the leafs I would say get those. The leafs actuley lower your truck a little more than 3".

·
Registered
9,094 Posts
Well, I think it's all a matter of personal opinion. one guy will like this setup better....another this one....

My opinion is I love my balljoints and blocks setup. My truck rides almost like it did before the drop. I'm not a fan of springs up front. Don't have much experience with/around the A-arms although if I was to drop something 3" I'd go with those instead of BJ's/Springs.

And another personal opinion is that 2/3 won't look like much of a drop on a Z85. If you don't want it that low, but just a bit lower than it is, then cool. But if you really want to be "dropped" a 3/4 looks much better. And as far as clearence, I don't think it'll be as bad as you're thinking. You're not gonna get "hung up" on things unless you keep your factory tranny x-member. If anything most people who do a 3/4 are worried about ride quality. But there again, it's all a matter of personal opinion.......

·
Quadruple O.G.
5,624 Posts
Well, I think it's all a matter of personal opinion. one guy will like this setup better....another this one....

My opinion is I love my balljoints and blocks setup. My truck rides almost like it did before the drop. I'm not a fan of springs up front. Don't have much experience with/around the A-arms although if I was to drop something 3" I'd go with those instead of BJ's/Springs.

And another personal opinion is that 2/3 won't look like much of a drop on a Z85. If you don't want it that low, but just a bit lower than it is, then cool. But if you really want to be "dropped" a 3/4 looks much better. And as far as clearence, I don't think it'll be as bad as you're thinking. You're not gonna get "hung up" on things unless you keep your factory tranny x-member. If anything most people who do a 3/4 are worried about ride quality. But there again, it's all a matter of personal opinion.......

Yep I agree

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited by Moderator)
lets say i went 2 with ball joints, then i could still go one more = 3 with drop coils, correct?

ya i'm going to make my own blocks after i drop the front to level the rear out perfectly and we make ubolts where i work so its no problem, cost me $7 when i did the same to my s10.

ball joints it is then i think, ones not better than the other handling wise is it? What about cutting the belltech drop coils, or even the stock ones to get an inch, seems to a few people doing that? good idea bad idea??

yea since ive got the Z85, a 3/4 would be the same as a ZQ8 2/3 so that does make sense. So i'll probably go a-arms then or would bj's and drop coils be better?? blocks are easy im gonna make them like i said to level it out perfectly, fab my own xmember to i think.

·
Registered
9,094 Posts
Yea, a 3/4 looks sweet on a Z85. I think it's just up to you if you want A-arms or BJ's/Coils. I'd go with A-arms myself, not up to date on the price of them, but it might be cheaper to get one component instead of 2.

The x-member is a must have. And they're not the most "elaborate" pieces to make so you should have no problem fabbin one up...:355:

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yea, a 3/4 looks sweet on a Z85. I think it's just up to you if you want A-arms or BJ's/Coils. I'd go with A-arms myself, not up to date on the price of them, but it might be cheaper to get one component instead of 2.

The x-member is a must have. And they're not the most "elaborate" pieces to make so you should have no problem fabbin one up...:355:
but once the xmember is in, shouldnt have any other clearence issues with 255/35/20?? No fender rubbing or anything tho eh... wont have to swap out bump stops....?

·
Registered
9,094 Posts
You won't have any clearence issues between the truck and the road, parking lots, driveways, etc... Like, your frame isn't gonna get hung up or anything like that.

The rims/tires I can't really help ya! I'm just on the stock ZQ8 wheels and tires. Someone more knowlegable with rims and tires on these trucks will have to chime in. My tires only rub when I hit a big dip or pothole in the road. The tops of them will scrape the splash shield. Or on heavy cornering too...

And the bumpstops, you shouldn't have to replace them, just trim down the bigger yellow one, or remove it all together.

·
Registered
24 Posts
I have a 3/4 on my Z85, running 245/35/20's. The only problem I've ever had was when I was running the longer rear bumpstops, so I removed them. Next step is a set of toxic drop shocks. I might do 1" spring in front and then swap out my 4" block with a 3" leaf and 2" block. :shrug:

·
Registered
81 Posts
You won't have any clearence issues between the truck and the road, parking lots, driveways, etc... Like, your frame isn't gonna get hung up or anything like that.

The rims/tires I can't really help ya! I'm just on the stock ZQ8 wheels and tires. Someone more knowlegable with rims and tires on these trucks will have to chime in. My tires only rub when I hit a big dip or pothole in the road. The tops of them will scrape the splash shield. Or on heavy cornering too...

And the bumpstops, you shouldn't have to replace them, just trim down the bigger yellow one, or remove it all together.
hahahaha i wasn't worried about bottoming out and getting hung up on sewer cover... i just got my canyon yes, but i've had 2 s10s that i've slammed, just somewhat new to these ones. also my tires should be the same overall height as your stock wheels, approx 27" height so there shouldnt be any major diffs.

I have a 3/4 on my Z85, running 245/35/20's. The only problem I've ever had was when I was running the longer rear bumpstops, so I removed them. Next step is a set of toxic drop shocks. I might do 1" spring in front and then swap out my 4" block with a 3" leaf and 2" block. :shrug:
so you runnin no bumstops or did you put some other smaller ones in??

·
Registered
1,363 Posts
hahahaha i wasn't worried about bottoming out and getting hung up on sewer cover... i just got my canyon yes, but i've had 2 s10s that i've slammed, just somewhat new to these ones. also my tires should be the same overall height as your stock wheels, approx 27" height so there shouldnt be any major diffs.
I have a ZQ8 and I have a 2/2 drop on it right now. My fenders are 28 1/4 from the ground. I scrub alot. But atleast I look sexy.

·
Registered
81 Posts
I have a ZQ8 and I have a 2/2 drop on it right now. My fenders are 28 1/4 from the ground. I scrub alot. But atleast I look sexy.
2/2 ZQ8 = 3/3 Z85... looks like you have stock tires which would be the same height as my 255/35/20s....

define "ALOT" ....:dawg:

you have 2 sets in the rear. I took out the larger ones.
oh ok, i will have to take a better look tonight... do you still bottom out tho with just the smaller ones?

and are drop shocks really necesary, im prob just gonna rub my stockers until they go, which they will quicker if it dropped then thow something else in...

·
Registered
1,363 Posts
2/2 ZQ8 = 3/3 Z85... looks like you have stock tires which would be the same height as my 255/35/20s....

define "ALOT" ....:dawg:
alot of bumps, driveways, intersections, bridges. I got droped this weekend and my splash guard things are already wore off on the drivers side.

drivers side= 28 1/4
passangers side = 28 3/4

damn chevy lean.

I am on stock 07 ZQ8 wheels.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
alot of bumps, driveways, intersections, bridges. I got droped this weekend and my splash guard things are already wore off on the drivers side.

drivers side= 28 1/4
passangers side = 28 3/4

damn chevy lean.

I am on stock 07 ZQ8 wheels.
do you happen to know your tire size by chance, 07 isnt different from 04-06 i dont think..

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
i have 20s.... 255/35/20 = 27" inch tall, same as what my stock 15s were.

·
Registered
9,094 Posts
I wouldn't worry too much about the tires scraping the splash shields. It's really not bad. If you drive it normal, it'll barely do it. Once I got my drop on, I got into the habit of taking on/off ramps as fast as I could! lol So mine got shot pretty quick. Or you could always stiffen up the ride with drop shocks?

·
Registered
1,363 Posts
well I cant take on/off ramps at all with out scrubbing the whole time. ask rrcn, he rode with me it was like sssssshhhhhhhhhhh (thats the sound of my wheels scrubbing) all the way around the on ramp.

1 - 20 of 77 Posts