Chevrolet Colorado & GMC Canyon Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im looking into lifting my truck hopefully this summer or this fall depending on cash flow, but i have never done it before and i dont even know what im getting myself into or what I would need. I would rather buy a kit so it is all there in one purchase and i know itll work together. So I guess what Im asking is what is the best route to go to lift my 04 z85 4wd anywhere from 3-5 inches without creating safety issues since this is my daily driver.
thanks

·
Registered
1,030 Posts
Im looking into lifting my truck hopefully this summer or this fall depending on cash flow, but i have never done it before and i dont even know what im getting myself into or what I would need. I would rather buy a kit so it is all there in one purchase and i know itll work together. So I guess what Im asking is what is the best route to go to lift my 04 z85 4wd anywhere from 3-5 inches without creating safety issues since this is my daily driver.

thanks

Rancho, Skyjacker, and CST all make nice suspension lifts to give 4-5" lift.

If that is too much money, you could go for a 1.5 or 3" body lift, and gain 1.5 to 2" of suspension lift by cranking your torsion bars and installing longer shackles for the rear leaf springs.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
if I go with one of the full lift kits will it increase the load capacity of the truck or will it remain the same because of the chassis?

·
Registered
1,030 Posts
if I go with one of the full lift kits will it increase the load capacity of the truck or will it remain the same because of the chassis?

No, it will not increase the load capacity. Theoretically, it will decrease it, since you will be adding weight to the truck, especially if you mount larger tires. Also, if you go to bigger tires, you will effectively have a higher gear ratio, which will make your truck work harder when hauling, and your braking performance will suffer slightly too.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I dont haul so i am not too worried about that, however I do want to put on some bigger wheels and probably end up with larger diameter tires. I have the stock 15" wheels and they just look to small and I am sure they will look smaller after the lift. As for the breaking if it gets too bad couldnt I compensate by upgrading the breaking system?

·
Registered
1,030 Posts
I dont haul so i am not too worried about that, however I do want to put on some bigger wheels and probably end up with larger diameter tires. I have the stock 15" wheels and they just look to small and I am sure they will look smaller after the lift. As for the breaking if it gets too bad couldnt I compensate by upgrading the breaking system?

Most people don't complain about the braking anyway, so I would not worry much about that. But, if you run a 16" or larger wheel, you do have the option of upgrading the brakes to the 2009 - 2012 OEM brakes, which are larger and more powerful.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Most people don't complain about the braking anyway, so I would not worry much about that. But, if you run a 16" or larger wheel, you do have the option of upgrading the brakes to the 2009 - 2012 OEM brakes, which are larger and more powerful.

I was thinking of getting anywhere between 17 and 19 but I know i would have to modify the front bumper or replace it.

·
Nipple
6,350 Posts
Wheel diameter does not necessarily mean that you have to modify the bumper to fit. What determines that is width and offset/backspacing. Also the size of your tires is a major contributing factor.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts