Chevrolet Colorado & GMC Canyon Forum banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,847 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My belt sounds awful on a rainy day cold start...Squeeky/chirpy noise.. Once everything warms up, the sound goes away.. I brought this problem up during warranty and all GMC did was replace the belt at around 18k... That seemed to cover me for about 20k or so until it started again. What to do fellas? :shrug:

M

·
0 Posts
All I can say is replace the belt again. No dressing is a permanent fix. You could also try a bar of soap or surfboard wax, but there again, it's not permanent.

·
Registered
3,615 Posts
mine does the same thing. i think its sexy.

not!!! .....may have to pull that excuse just to get them to replace them tho
i'll do it right before 36k hahaha

·
Registered
1,203 Posts
really good lube did itl for me. i got this stuff from RED LOIN. its great really sticky stuff. doesn't run like wd-40 .. i'll try and bring it to the meet

·
Premium Member
3,847 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Good feedback fellas!! So...Zach is the only one not to have this issue... Others have applied belt "dressing" to it with success...

Soap... Hmmm might have to try this first. Soap sounds like the least messy way.. Maybe apply it from underneath the truck to the belt while it is running and hope I dont lose a finger?:wtf2:

My co-worker, 2003 Silverado HD, rolled into work the other day making this same noise... So I hit him up with the question and he told me to lay some WD 40 down on the belt. I am hesitant to follow his advice because if it is that easy, why is his belt making the noise in the first place?? :ugh:

M

·
0 Posts
Good feedback fellas!! So...Zach is the only one not to have this issue... Others have applied belt "dressing" to it with success...

Soap... Hmmm might have to try this first. Soap sounds like the least messy way.. Maybe apply it from underneath the truck to the belt while it is running and hope I dont lose a finger?:wtf2:

My co-worker, 2003 Silverado HD, rolled into work the other day making this same noise... So I hit him up with the question and he told me to lay some WD 40 down on the belt. I am hesitant to follow his advice because if it is that easy, why is his belt making the noise in the first place?? :ugh:
Yeah, all WD-40 is gonna do is make the belt slip.....quietly.

·
Registered
9,094 Posts
Same here!!:dawg:

I've just learned to deal with it. If I remember(which I never do) to stop by the parts store and score a new one when I'm out and about, then I'll just do that, but like I said, the stuff never comes to mind.

·
Registered
3,608 Posts
I heard about these... Have you installed it on your truck? I like this idea and have heard good things about the Gatorback..
our ranger that we recently sold...it was horrible in the rain! nasty squeel. it cured it good.

·
Registered
24 Posts
I'm surprised Dawg Catcher hasn't hit this up. His fix, and my Dad's fix, which worked for me, Dove Soap - bar form. Let the truck idle and hold the bar to the underside of the belt as it runs. Mine still squeaks a touch at a hard right or left turn, but nothing else. :yup:

·
Premium Member
3,847 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I just wanted to update Rob that I replaced the belt (with OEM) and noise is gone (in lieu of earplugs). :click:

2 belts in 51k... Normal or excessive?

·
Premium Member
3,847 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I am thinking that I might need a new belt tensioner... GMC said I did not need one but hearing most of the feedback, I am thinking they just hated doing warranty work.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts