Chevrolet Colorado & GMC Canyon Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking at buying a GMC Canyon with the 5.3 V8 and was curious if there were any years that are better/easier to mod with things like cams etc...

The 09-11's don't have VVT correct? It would seem easier to put a cam in a motor without VVT.

Thanks for your time and information.

'Moe

·
Registered
173 Posts
I think 09 and some 10s got the non vvt 5.3. I know mine doesn't have that. I think the vvt/dod started in late 2010. I could be wrong, still new to these trucks.

·
Registered
220 Posts
Good to know. I found a 2009 Canyon with a nice price tag that has me considering it and delaying the purchase of a diesel Canyon for a few more years (let discounts/incentives show up first).

·
Registered
378 Posts
I haven't seen any dyno sheets with a 5.3 but I do know people with the L99 6.2 are getting really nice gains putting a vvt cam in.. but install will cost more with vvt.

·
I'm "That Guy"
1,185 Posts
Best plan:

Get 355 with v8 w/vvt.
Pull motor.
Sell motor.
Find 6.0 or 6.2.
Put 6.0 or 6.2 into 355.
Add boost.
Watch rubber disintegrate :D

·
US Army 19yrs and ......
45,284 Posts
There are several companies that offer VVT delete kits.........solves the VVT issues

·
Registered
2,757 Posts
I just made it to South Carolina with 4 bodies and a bed full of luggage. 600 miles and averaged 22mpg

·
US Army 19yrs and ......
45,284 Posts
I just made it to South Carolina with 4 bodies and a bed full of luggage. 600 miles and averaged 22mpg
Well if you drive with MPGs in your mind its easy to get good mpgs.

Last year in the Tahoe I averaged 22.2 on the way to OBX

·
Registered
2,686 Posts
Djsonic, here's my last dyno tune, going back when it gets cooler for retune again.
Comp VVT cam

Attachments

·
Registered
423 Posts
The type of gas can determine economy as well. In New York, I averaged 16mpg on the highway. With good Ol Oklahoma gas, I'm back up to 21 mpg on the highway.

·
US Army 19yrs and ......
45,284 Posts
Well by doing the VVT delete you can use any cam you want; not all LS cams will work with the VVT because of the cam phaser

·
Registered
2,686 Posts
TSP has some of the best VVT cams you can buy. the 220/220
is very popular for 5.3's

1 - 20 of 27 Posts