Chevrolet Colorado & GMC Canyon Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2,640 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I'm sick of my lights dimming when my eFan kicks on or my turn signal blinks. Can anyone tell me approximately how much wire I need to buy to upgrade the Alt -> ground, Alt -> Battery, and Battery -> ground wires?

Thanks!

·
0 Posts
your normal headlights dim with your fan kicks on or are you talking about the 50-bagillion other ones?

·
Registered
2,640 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I guess it's even more noticeable that my gauges, radio, dashlights, etc. dim when the turn signal is on. And when I crank up the radio they dim on the bass hits.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Upgrading the big 3 will help, but it completely won't solve the problem. I'm running 4ga and still have dimming (with 700 watts of sound system). All you need is 5 or 6 feet of red and black wire. I upgraded the alternator to battery, battery to stock fuseblock, battery to ground, and engine to ground. I used a bolt from the front of the engine instead of replacing the factory wire for the engine ground wire - it was too much of a PITA to get to it. I just ran it to the same point that I did the battery ground at - the bolt that's behind the battery box the factory battery to ground uses. The rest I just traced and replaced with 4 guage and good connectors. Be sure to cover the alternator bolt well so you can't accidentally short it out if you drop a wrench on it in the future. I'll try to post some pics later on it.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Ok, I left out a few things. I upgraded mine like this: I ran 1/0 from the battery positive terminal to a dual fuseblock. One side goes to the factory fuse block with a 4ga wire. The other feeds my system with another 4ga wire. Then I ran a 4ga wire from the other side of the factory fuse box to the alternator (the same was it was originally hooked up). I did upgrade the factory mega-fuse to 150 amps since I wanted to be sure I could pull max current through it and to get the lowest ESR from it I could. I then ran a 4ga wire from the battery negative terminal to the factory grounding bolt behind the battery box. I also ran a 4ga from one of the alternator mounting bolts to the same place for a better engine ground. I left the factory 6ga engine ground intact because it would have been bitch to remove and it doesn't hurt anything.

If you do something like this, you're going to have to upgrade the battery terminals. I used Stingers with a 1/0, 4ga, and 2 8ga outputs. And if you do that, it's going to be a bitch to tighten up the negative as it's not a SAE sized post - it's a little small. But it can work. I've attached a schematic and pics of my mods. Let me know if you have any questions.

Attachments

1 - 5 of 5 Posts