Chevrolet Colorado & GMC Canyon Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
349 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
well today i was puttin the truck back together after i gutted the pre-cat. i was putting the bolts back in to tighten the manifold, and one of the heads of the bolts busted off in the block. What should i do??

·
Another day.....
2,704 Posts
Oh shit aint` no mechanic nut but i think you got to drill a tiny hole in the screw then un screw it i think or use a tap and die kit that also might help
IMO that`s all eeekkk

·
Premium Member
3,764 Posts
nope you can get it out with a easy out. Im on my phone now but when im at home i can send u more info on getting it out

·
Premium Member
3,764 Posts
Yup thats it. You can get them from sears.

Each easy out tells you what size drill bit to use to drill your initial whole.

First you drill a hole about 1/8" deep in the top of the broken bolt as straight as you can.

Then put the easy out bit into the whole you just drilled and it should catch and reverse the bolt out.

It kinda works like a backwards drill bit. Iv done it plenty of times and it has always worked. Buy yourself a torque wrench next time and install those bolts to the correct specs. They broke off cause you over torqued them.

·
Registered
349 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
thats the thing, it broke off before it was even in there all the way
thanks for the info, ill have to get one of those kits, i also have to get a new bolt for it too

·
Premium Member
3,764 Posts
thats the thing, it broke off before it was even in there all the way
thanks for the info, ill have to get one of those kits, i also have to get a new bolt for it too
Hmm if it broke before you got it in there all the way then you should try to get it out with the easy out, but you might have cross threaded it. So best thing to do before putting the new bolt in is trying to rethread it with a tap and die set using the one for the bolt size. So if it was cross threaded hopefully it will correct itself.

·
Registered
3,711 Posts
If its still stuborn, use can use a little heat with it, and your easy out. If the easy out doesnt work, you can weld a nut onto the bolt and use a wrench. good luck

·
Registered
2,640 Posts
The factory broke one of the bolts in my block. Once it warms up I'm going to back it out.

·
Registered
3,443 Posts
I broke one of mine off to... Not a big deal theres not really any issues i've been monitering everything and it seems fine :shrug:

·
Registered
679 Posts
I gutted my manifold recently and noticed the last bolt closest to the firewall was broken flush with the block. Is this a big problem or do you think I could get away with just leaving it?

·
Registered
104 Posts
The closest bolt to the firewall has been broken since I've owned my truck, plus I broke another doing the pre-cat gut. Been keeping an eye on it and no leaks as of yet.

·
Member's Technical crew
12,060 Posts
I have had the same exact bolt broken since I gutted my cat. no leaks yet..

1 - 14 of 14 Posts