Chevrolet Colorado & GMC Canyon Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok guys ive read a bunch of threads but still have some questions regarding my specific basic application. ( most yall asking bout shocks on lifted trucks )

So my truck is stock hieght Canyon off road package ( same as z71?) It has the 17" rims and 31" tires. Truck only has 33k miles on it. Im considering replacing the shocks with either the 4600 or 5100 bilsteins my questions are...

1) are the off-road package (z-71) canyons stock shocks already bilsteins? This seems to come up in a bunch of threads. Some people say they are and some people say they aren't.

2) given that the truck only has 33k miles on it and the stock shocks are most likely fine, will it be worth while to upgrade the shocks now knowing that i will be taking the truck down some trails in the near future (also still using as daily)

3) i think id like to put the 5100 on and use them to level out the truck or preferably use them to give the truck a 1" lift. Im not looking to go big or get bigger tires as of yet so im keeping it at the stock height or just the 1" lift preferably, while keeping the 31" tires. My question is will the 5100 be to long a shock for this height of a truck? Are the 5100s to heavy duty for this specific truck? Would the 4600 be a better fit?

4) if i raise the front 1" via the 5100 shocks should i be adding a leaf spring in the back? Ill most likely be adding a camper shell with roof top tent or bed rails with roof tent so there will be that weight to consider. Also would like the capability to tow a small camper or boat in the future.

5) i dont own my own shop or a bunch of tools so this is most likely a install ill have my mechanic do. If i add the bilsteins and adjust to 1 inch lift are there any other things i should consider to do this properly.

Thanks to you guys who took the time to read this and hopefully have some good advice. :)

·
Premium Member
868 Posts
1.) No, they are not Bilsteins from the factory.

2.) Yes I recommend replacing them.

3.) Shocks don’t provide lift. Your in need of a torsion bar crank, diff drop, rear add-a-leaf, longer rear shackles then measure the rear for shock length. Also, I think the 4600 and the 5100 are valved the same

4.) Keep researching here. Lots of guys have added helper springs.

5.) I’d recommend doing it yourself. You need to learn! No offense intended.

·
Registered
2008 Chevy Colorado WT Z71 4WD
23 Posts
Bilstein are probably best shocks for a weekend warrior so good choice.

As far as the 4600 vs 5100 shocks go for your truck, both are tuned the exact same. The only difference is that the 5100 is meant for lifted applications while the 4600 is meant for stock height. Unfortunately, Bilstein don’t make a 5100 specifically tuned for our trucks with lift, so you’ll have to use the 5125 (universal 5100 shock) for the rear.

I’ll provide a chart of the different lengths down below that I got from Bilstein after multiple emails

The highlighted part number is the correct shock length for a 2in lift in the rear, so you’ll have to go an inch smaller if you want to do a 1” lift. Also, you’ll want to make sure it’s 255/70 valving in the rear.

sigh

You’ll also have to buy part numbers 2202G (bushing), E4-B46-60R1 (sleeve), and E4-GV3-Z009A08 (bonded barpin). You’ll need these because these universal shocks come in an Eye to Eye configuration with 12mm sleeves, but the lower shock mount in the rear of the Colorado is 14.4mm. The bushing and sleeve size are the correct size to fit the lower shock mount. Lastly, the upper shock mount in the rear of the truck is a barpin mount, which is what the part number is for.

Sorry if that was confusing. Let me know if you have any questions, I’ve been the tussling with Bilstein for 3 months getting all the info I needed for their shocks and out trucks 🙄😤

·
Registered
27 Posts
Hey! I have a 20008 Canyon Offroad 4x4, and Ive already looked at the 5125s. If youre gonna do a small lift like I have, here's the size of the 5125s that will work :)
Front: Product Details
Rear: Product Details

I havent found a good enough reason to actually buy them yet, but maybe soon! let us know if you get a set, and how they work and valving etc.

·
Registered
27 Posts
i just put In some 5165 Resevior shocks. They’re so nice. If you need help or a how to just hmu
You have your torsion bars cranked right? My front end ride rough as hell since I cranked mine. Did those 5165’s make a big difference?

·
Registered
2008 Chevy Colorado WT Z71 4WD
23 Posts
You have your torsion bars cranked right? My front end ride rough as hell since I cranked mine. Did those 5165’s make a big difference?
Well I could only put the 5165 in the rear because Bilstein doesn’t make a short enough shock for front. But I put the 4600 in the fronts with a TB crank and it’s really smooth. Same for the rear even with the AAL

1 - 7 of 7 Posts