Chevrolet Colorado & GMC Canyon Forum banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've seen many trucks with a blacked-out Chevy logo. I was wondering either how to do that, or where I can get one. The gold one, in my opinion, doesn't look all that great on my black truck. >.<

·
NW Surfrider
5,351 Posts
I believe there is a write up on the site somewhere...but i believe the general gist is that you remove the grill...sand the gold paint from the inside...repaint and then clearcoat and reassemble...i know others will update this in the morning though...

·
Registered
563 Posts
i was able to get the bowtie off without removing the grille. its a bit of a pain though. and your arms gotta be small enough. i cant do it anymore haha.

theres to 10mm nuts holding the bowtie on. just take them off and pop the bowtie off the grille assembly. and paint as you wish.

IMO...if i had a black truck i would paint the bowtie black with a red outline :)

·
Registered
2,464 Posts
i was able to get the bowtie off without removing the grille. its a bit of a pain though. and your arms gotta be small enough. i cant do it anymore haha.

theres to 10mm nuts holding the bowtie on. just take them off and pop the bowtie off the grille assembly. and paint as you wish.

IMO...if i had a black truck i would paint the bowtie black with a red outline :)
or maybe paint it like a metallic silver!

Yeah man, just sand (properly) and spray paint away!!

I did mine and it came out perfect :)
gonna b doin mine soon and i like both ideas was just gonna paint it black now i have some thinkn to do

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
<.< >.> Umm...What about for those of us that have no painting experience what so ever? That's why I was wondering if there's just one I could buy. But, as for the small arms, I don't qualify for that. >.<

·
Registered
9,094 Posts
Holy FUCK!!! DO NOT, I repeat, DO NOT use 100 grit paper. That is WAY too coarse. I sand BONDO with 80-180 grit sandpaper, so why would anyone use a grit that coarse when all you're looking to do is scuff up the surface so paint will stick!?

400 grit is the lowest I would recommend, but even that is more than you'd need. Really, all you need is a Red Scuff Pad available at your local Auto Paint Supply store. Just scuff up the bowtie till it's uniformly dull....

If you're unsure about your spray painting abilities, maybe you can either take your bowtie out, or find one at your local junkyard, and take it to a body shop and have them spray it black for you. I can't imagine them charging you any significant amount of money for such a small piece.

·
walking is for the poor
6,854 Posts
Shit man. I'll delete that. Do you sand the top or the inside then?

·
Registered
9,094 Posts
Just the outside of it, since you're painting the outside. I haven't seen/heard of anyone taking the emblem apart to spray the inside?? I'm not even sure you can take these emblems apart in the 1st place, without messing them up.

·
Registered
358 Posts
Just go get a rattle can and give it a go...if it turns out shitty the first time you can always sand it down and give it another go...
exactly... i did this with no experience and found a way to fuck up so i just sanded it down and resprayed and it turned out good.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #13

·
Registered
9,094 Posts
After you get the money? It's $10!! hahahaha

I would prefer to have mine painted, but this seems like a reasonable option for you. Just buy the sticker and slap it on, done.

·
Registered
661 Posts
Yeah paint it, I'm gonna paint mine but since you wanted to know where to buy one I thought I'd show you. I would definately paint it.

·
Registered
4,682 Posts
Just paint it man.

It'll be a great time to learn to spray if you can't already. :lol:

Remove the two 10mm nuts from the back of the grille, lightly scuff it, spray a few light layers of paint, a few coats of clear and you're good to go.

It's almost impossible to fuck up. Just take it easy with the can, don't go all crazy with it and lay it on like it's butter or anything. lol.

·
Registered
563 Posts
just paint it man. spray paint and sandpaper is cheap! and even if you F up the first time you still have extra paint to try again.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts