Chevrolet Colorado & GMC Canyon Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
433 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I just started my truck up to pull it into the garage and call it a night and noticed it was blowing out white smoke at idle..even after it was warmed up...and the amount of smoke increases as you give it more throttle :mc: ...what do you guys think it could be?

·
Registered
433 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hmm well I thought at first its because I'm low on coolant I havent replaced since the body lift but truck wasn't over heating or anything..

·
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
5,884 Posts
It doesn't have to overheat to be a headgasket. Check your dipstick and under your oil cap. If there's a chocolate milk like film on either then there's coolant in your oil as well and I wouldn't drive it like that as you can do major damage. If you're still under warranty all you can do is take it to the dealership. My guess is it's a headgasket as well.

·
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
5,884 Posts
I don't think so, that's only for the valve seat/spring problem. It might cover that, but I'm not sure.

·
Registered
53 Posts
bummer...white smoke..is it smoke or steam? probably head gasket.. hopefully not cracked or broke head...Sorry dude :(

·
Registered
2,435 Posts
just take it in and tell them you think its got the head problem, dont say anything about the smoke. if you have a bad head gasket you most likely will have low compression in atleast one cylinder, in which case they will consider it to be the head issue and more than likely replace the head fixing the problem.

if it infact is a blown headgasket and not just condensation. you could do a block test on it, its easy to do and only cost $40 or so from most parts stores, that would tell you 100% if it is or not.

do you see a coolant leak??? it shouldnt be low for no reason.

·
Registered
433 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
just take it in and tell them you think its got the head problem, dont say anything about the smoke. if you have a bad head gasket you most likely will have low compression in atleast one cylinder, in which case they will consider it to be the head issue and more than likely replace the head fixing the problem.

if it infact is a blown headgasket and not just condensation. you could do a block test on it, its easy to do and only cost $40 or so from most parts stores, that would tell you 100% if it is or not.

do you see a coolant leak??? it shouldnt be low for no reason.
I stated in post number 3 that its low bc of the body lift...but theres still plenty in there....when i started the truck up this morning there wasn't any smoke...after i drove for a few minutes there was some smoke, but not as much as last night, and it went away after a few minutes and hasn't come back...do you guys think maybe its nothing seriosu?

·
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
5,884 Posts
If it doesn't come back it was probably just condensation like schardbody mentioned.

·
Registered
2,435 Posts
I stated in post number 3 that its low bc of the body lift...but theres still plenty in there....when i started the truck up this morning there wasn't any smoke...after i drove for a few minutes there was some smoke, but not as much as last night, and it went away after a few minutes and hasn't come back...do you guys think maybe its nothing seriosu?
why did putting on a body lift make your coolant low??? did you remove the coolant jug/hoses, or remove the radiator???

i havent seen a BL done on a colly/canyon so i dont know if you have to remove the radiator like most to lower it.

·
Registered
2,435 Posts
You have to reposition the radiator with the BL.
i know it has to be lowered to keep the fan functional (if you keep the mechanical fan) but i wasnt sure if it had to be removed to do so. on the nissan i owned that i did i didnt have to remove it to lower it, same with the toyotas i have done.

·
Registered
433 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
i know it has to be lowered to keep the fan functional (if you keep the mechanical fan) but i wasnt sure if it had to be removed to do so. on the nissan i owned that i did i didnt have to remove it to lower it, same with the toyotas i have done.
Yeah I removed it becuase you have to grind away at the stock bracket...and its easier with the radiator out of the way

·
US Army 19yrs and ......
45,284 Posts
isn't paranoia driving fun?
Sure is........when is this fucker going to blow?????
:lmaof: :lmaop: :lmaop: :lmaop:

Yes, I agree with everyone fo sho.......Headgasket....DOHC...cann you say bitch

Jeremy

1 - 20 of 21 Posts