Chevrolet Colorado & GMC Canyon Forum banner

blown fuses/ fuel injection issues

2K views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  Conner larsen 
#1 ·
so I have a 2009 Colorado 2.9l rwd extend cab,

I was driving home, coming down a hill and tried giving it gas and nothing had happened. I looked at my rpm gauge and realized the truck had died, went to start it and would only crank but not start. put gas in it, it had spark, topped off the oil, and still nothing. we checked ignition fuses and 1 was blown. put new fuse in and tried to start but nothing happened then we checked the new fuse and it was blown just by trying to start the truck. we found its not getting fuel and need help rom there.

so why is it blowing fuses?
why wont it get fuel?
and what other issues could it be?
is it the pump? the injectors? the filter? the fuel rail?

with it blowing fuses we think there is a short and the pump wont work because it is grounding to the frame. someone else had to of had the same issue, so please help me out and get the truck running.

#2 ·
I'm no expert, plus never had a fuel issue with my 2010 Colorado, but have you checked the top of the fuel tank where the fuel pump is mounted? Aren't these trucks notorious for the pump mount retaining ring rusting away? Specially for trucks that spend their life up North in the salt belt.

#3 ·
so I have a 2009 Colorado 2.9l rwd extend cab,

I was driving home, coming down a hill and tried giving it gas and nothing had happened. I looked at my rpm gauge and realized the truck had died, went to start it and would only crank but not start. put gas in it, it had spark, topped off the oil, and still nothing. we checked ignition fuses and 1 was blown. put new fuse in and tried to start but nothing happened then we checked the new fuse and it was blown just by trying to start the truck. we found its not getting fuel and need help rom there.

so why is it blowing fuses?
why wont it get fuel?
and what other issues could it be?
is it the pump? the injectors? the filter? the fuel rail?

with it blowing fuses we think there is a short and the pump wont work because it is grounding to the frame. someone else had to of had the same issue, so please help me out and get the truck running.
The ignition fuse provides power to the four coils and the AC compressor relay. How did you determine that the engine was not getting fuel? Disconnect all four ignition coils and see if the fuse still blows. What tooling do you have to troubleshoot with? Test light, multimeter, scan tool?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.