Chevrolet Colorado & GMC Canyon Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm thinking about buying a body kit for my colorado. I found one i liked that i can get for a good price but now i need to know how much it's gonna cost to get it installed. I have a standard cab so the skirts need to be cut(no standard cab kits available). The lowest rate for a body shop i could find was $60/hr. When i went in to the shop the manager seemed to have little interest and told me it should take about a week, which seems to be a bit of an exaduration. Does anyone know if this is about right or if not, know how many hours it might take on average for them really, to install it? ballpark?

·
CALI BOSS
6,326 Posts
Too many variables to be able to give you and idea.

What kit? How are the skirts mounted? How much will need to be cut" How many pieces?

I'm guessing a week is about right since they have to measure several times and hopefully only cut once for the skirts to be a custom fit. Then they have to bond the cut parts back together and surface them so it will look good when painted. Then the pieces have to be painted and cure for at least a day before they attempt to install them onto the truck.

·
Registered
1,827 Posts
Just install it yourself before you get it painted for a test fit incase you have to shave anything. Then gett it painted and put it back on yourself. They do make side skirts for reg cabs I wouldn't cut them.

·
Registered
7,558 Posts
pure sexiness! and you can plan for about a week in a shop to get this done right!

·
all your base
9,599 Posts
yeah, if you want to save a bit of money install them yourself.. test fit them and make the necessary adjustments, u may have to grind/sand a bit to get them to fit perfect... then take them to get painted and put em on yourself

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
it should already be saving a bit of money, if i go with the skirts made for the right cab it should cut down on shop time a fair amount, but yeah i will for sure give it a go myself and see what happens.

·
Quadruple O.G.
5,624 Posts
I installed and test fitted everything on my truck with the help of a friend. Its really not hard to do at all just time comsuming.......but it doesn't take a week to do at all.

It took about an hour to test fit the front bumper and predrill the mounting holes.

Test fitting the side skirts took about 4-5hrs. It took longer because I had to trim the factory zq8 flares so I could use them still with the skirts. Remember cut once measure 2-3 times lol.

Now the side skirts rubbed the bottom of my doors in a spot or two on each side so my paint guy loosened up the door bolts and kicked the doors up a tad so they wouldn't rub the skirts when you opened and closed the door.

It probley took me half the time to reinstall everything after I got it back from paint. Everything went right on and the fitment is next to perfect.

·
Registered
1,827 Posts
man i loving the sid skirts i need a pair too. i see your bumper sits low like mine. did you have the fender flares on before the skirts? i would just want to put on the skirts without the flares...what skirts are those? your truck looks bitchin!

·
Premium Member
21,130 Posts
i wish they had the street scene skirts for the crewcab but my only option was xenon

·
Member's Technical crew
12,060 Posts
These look great. But are there any cheaper kits out there? I have mine lowered, and cant justify paying so much for something I know will hit the ground at some time or another. Also I want that damn front bumper! that thing is tit's!

1 - 20 of 23 Posts