Chevrolet Colorado & GMC Canyon Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can anyone recommend truck shop that does body lifts and leveling in Baton Rouge.
I did get quote from Kirk's, but they were well over $1,000 for 2" lift and leveling.

thanks

·
Registered
3,008 Posts
You can try distinctive metal works in Lafayette to see if they could install it. He does suspension work.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Does that sounds right about $1,000 for 2" body lift and leveling.
I would do it myself, but I never did this before and rather let someone do it right.
Does anyone know if Kirk's in Baton Rouge is reliable or recommend another truck shop for this.

·
Registered
3,161 Posts
cajun offroad in laffayete is supposed to be good. i got quoted by a shop a couple years ago. in a different state though for like $700 for my body lift. ended up doing it myself. with the help of a friend.

·
Registered
4,096 Posts
haha nice cody. it's crazy how much labor is. i know they aren't paying more than 250 for that body lift.

·
Registered
2,685 Posts
Can anyone recommend truck shop that does body lifts and leveling in Baton Rouge.
I did get quote from Kirk's, but they were well over $1,000 for 2" lift and leveling.

thanks
I'm not sure that ya'll are on the same page or that I'm sure what what exactly you want.
Is that for a 3" body lift and leveling the truck or for just a 2" lift in the front and level the back out? A body lift is 3". Turning the torsions up to lift the truck up will net you about 2" and either shackles or a AAl in the rear to level it out. So is the price for body lift and 2" of suspension, or just the body lift and crank the torsions up to level it out, or just a body lift?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I measured the fender height, front end was 35" and rear was 37".
Yes, assuming 2" body lift to the front end of the truck to match the rear fender height. I really do not want to mess with the torsion bars. Just want the truck to have a level look to it.

What is a fair price for parts and labor?

·
Registered
2,685 Posts
I measured the fender height, front end was 35" and rear was 37".
Yes, assuming 2" body lift to the front end of the truck to match the rear fender height. I really do not want to mess with the torsion bars. Just want the truck to have a level look to it.

What is a fair price for parts and labor?

Considering your only 3 post so far, are in this thread and asking a question about something you're obivously not familiar with, there is no reason to go all bold on your reply. I used to do this type of work for a living, everything from air suspensions, to body lifts, to full suspension lifts, and everything in between. In your original question you asked about a body lift and leveling the truck, that is to seperate things, yes I can see that being over $1000. Feel free to do the math on the parts and labor (see below). Since you obivously don't know exactly what you are looking for, here is all the information I can give you. You can feel free to take it from here.

You don't do a body lift to just one end it spaces the body (cab and bed) off of the frame the same. The only two body lift kits on the market are the 1.5" s-maxx one and the 3" performance accessories one. Some people have built 1" body lifts out of hockey pucks, but we don't exactly have alot of those laying around down here. If you are just wanting to level the front end out get a set of torsion bar keys and differential spacers from s-maxx, they are a vendor on this site. Prices on the body lift kits are about $250 for the 1.5" and normal price on the 3" is around $400, but stylintrucks.com has it on sale for $250 right now. The labor to install a body lift is going to run anywhere from probably $500 on up, depending on the shop's rates; it's a lot of work and will take a shop roughly a day to do.

The only way you are gonna get a level look is to either raise the front suspension (messing with the torsion bars) or lower the rear suspension (lowering block). The 3" and 1.5" body lift is going to keep the same 2" rake as the factory since it moves the body of the truck up the same front and rear.

Heres the link to their price list for s-maxx's product on this site.
http://www.355nation.net/forum/suspension-maxx/19155-suspension-maxx-prices.html

Heres the link to where they are talking about the front differential spacers (only needed if you have a 4x4, not required on a 4x2).
http://www.355nation.net/forum/suspension-maxx/19586-differential-spacers.html

Heres the link to the how-to on installing the torsion keys
http://www.355nation.net/forum/suspension-maxx/17761-how-install-suspension-maxx-leveling-lift-lowering-kit-4x4-z71.html

Finally, heres the link to the S-Maxx page on this forum, you can read up in there and see what all is involved and what other people who have bought their products have posted up. I know that there isn't much posted up by people who have bought there products in the section, but if you search for suspension maxx I'm sure you'll find more information and pictures about their product and installs.

Suspension Maxx - Chevrolet Colorado & GMC Canyon Forum

If you do decide to do the torsion keys up front they are fairly easy to do and can be done in your drive-way with no special tools. Just make sure that you get an alignment afterwards. If your not the handy type, I wouldn't expect a shop to charge more than $150 to install them, but that's only a guess. It may be more, may be less.

And if I come across as an ass, it's because I assumed that the bold lettering in your reply was meant to imply that you had a problem with me asking exactly what you wanted or that I was to stupid to understand, if you meant nothing by it and accidentaly hit the bold button. I apologive for any remarks that may have offended you.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I just used the bold to make it easier to read, it was nothing about the questions.
I'm glad you are asking me the right questions, because when talking to body shops, it never clearly stated the options or methods used to raise the body. Some only talk about the torsion bar adjustment and others warn that adjusting the torsion bars will create more problems than its worth.

I have the 2WD Z-71 and just wanted to give it level look in fender height. The front end just looks too low compared to the rear end. I'm not interest in the jacked up look.

To use the 3" body lift in the front and 1.5" in the rear, I would have to purchase two separate body lift kits 1.5" & 3" or is there combination kit of 1.5" & 3" out there.

I agree, never did body lift or suspension lift. So I just do not know what is a fair price in labor.

Thanks again,
Dane

·
Registered
4,096 Posts
ok man you use the same body lift throughout the truck. a 3" body lift sends you 3" body pucks to lift the entire truck 3". he is saying you have the option of a 1.5" bl or a 3" bl.
since you are not interested in the jacked up look the best and most effecient way to solver your problem is to crank your torsion bars. you won't even need the keys more than likely since you are only going 2". if you have access to a pull bar w socket, 2 jackstands, and a jack, you can do it in your drive way (you don't even need the jack and stands but it's so much harder if you don't). turn the torsion bar bolt til you get it level(measure) drive around check your measurement if it's went down crank a lil more and repeat until you get it where you want it. get it aligned and your done.

and cranking the tb's is not bad whoever told you that lied to you. like anything if you take it to far your gonna mess stuff up but you can get almost 4" out of your tb's

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
one last question, with body lift does any of electrical & fluids lines(fuel, brake line) need to be extended.

·
Registered
2,685 Posts
one last question, with body lift does any of electrical & fluids lines(fuel, brake line) need to be extended.
Fuel filler gets extended and there is a steering shaft extension, the rest is just relocating and freeing up the slack in the wiring.

What he is saying is that for lifting the front 2" it's free, aside from the cost of the alignment.

·
Registered
3,161 Posts
if you try to do a different amount of body lift between the front and back you will get something much like this.

if i were you i would crank the torsion bars. and call it a day. just make sure to take it to an alignment after. if you plan to run a larger tire a good tire shop will probably crank them for free if you buy the tires and have them align it. the only problems that have ever occured from cranking them is either caused by over cranking (trying to get like 4" of lift). or occasionally they will start to sag after time which means the truck will start to lower itself down towards stock height. but i wouldnt be concerned with that.

·
You Smell That?!?!
6,216 Posts
call smaxx and order the parts(the leveling kit), drive to lafayette, and help me install in....
cost = 215+gas

im not doing th ebody lift cause i have never done it. i am ordering the smaxx kit next week and putting it on my truck

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I'm just trying to learn the nuts and bolts of lifting a truck.
I want to make the right decision that involved in this, understanding the concerns and avoiding any possible damage to the truck. So, knowing that wiring has to be adjusted and possible steering shaft extension gives me insight in raising the body.

·
Registered
3,161 Posts
the leveling kit should be pretty simple. the body lift can be a pain in the ass. i got a really fucked up kit which made it worse. just make sure to follow the directions and have at least 1 person help you.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts