Chevrolet Colorado & GMC Canyon Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First off, I'm a total dolt for doing this. Changing the water pump last night, trying to finish before nightfall (and hoping to be done before today's rain storms). All is well, in that I successfully removed the water pump (fan, etc. - what a chore!) and I re-installed. Did a new belt, too. Now the problem - unbeknownst to me, I over-tightened ALL FIVE bolts holding the water pump. I crank up and go to Advance to return the fan tool that I borrowed and all appears well. I go to leave, and when I crank up, the water pump falls right out of the block. Because, dummy me, I overtightened those little bolts. So, now what? Can I get the bolts out? Do I bite the bullet and have it towed? There is an automotive repair shop near where I left the truck, but they are talking in terms of $1000 for getting the bolts out. And, there's the, "we might not know what will happen because we'll have to take off the timing cover and there's the chance of damage to the water jacket" stuff that they are telling me. I find this scary.

What would you do? That is, assuming you'd done something so stupid as to overtorque the bolts to begin with?

·
DK Moulds
2,012 Posts
Well I have dome the same..well not all 5..when I replaced all that stuff last year..I changed the water pump..and over torqued one bolt..snapping the head..luckily I was able to get it out without damaging the threads.

How confident are you..or do you know someone who would be willing to attempt that? Its not the best area to work in..but if you take your time.. And make sure you are dead center with bolts..save ya some $$$

|mobile|

·
Premium Member
2,761 Posts
It would be best to try to find someone that will attempt to remove the bolts without removing the cover. Removing the cover is labor intensive as the oil pan has to be dropped to allow the oil pickup tube to be disconnected from the oil pump, which is located in the cover assembly. I don't know how they would damage the water jacket unless they are talking about damage that might occur during the broken bolts removal.

Just in case that you need the info, The front cover assembly (including the oil pump) is available from this website for $116.84+shipping: ENGINE ASM-3.. Fits: CANYON 2WD, CANYON 2WD Crew Cab, CANYON 2WD Extended Cab, CANYON 2WD Regular Cab, CANYON 2WD Z71 FLEET, CANYON 2WD Z71 SL... | Nalley Buick GMC Brunswick

It is also available from gmpartsdirect.com for $153.09 shipped.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Wow, thanks!

I was headed down the path of removing the front cover, but couldn't get the crankcase pulley off. When we broke the torque wrench trying to do that, I decided to give up. There happens to be a shop right where the truck is sitting, but when I talked to them, it was apparent that they were going to charge me a huge amount of money. So, I'm having it towed to a shop where I actually know the owner. We'll see what happens. Nothing is so frustrating as being able to see how to do something and not being able to do it. :( Anyway, I appreciate all of your insight.

·
Premium Member
2,761 Posts
If you plan on accomplishing your own maintenance, it would be a good idea to have some detailed instructions pertaining to the tasks that you will be attempting. One good source is a subscription to alldatadiy.com For about $28, for the first year, you will have access to all of the information available in the GM Service Manual.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks. I'm learning. All of this was the result of a stupid mistake - so lesson learned; don't work on something when you're tired/hungry/not thinking clearly.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I broke the bolts off about 1/2 down. So in effect, the heads and the non-threaded part of the bolts.

·
Registered
2,959 Posts
.. - so lesson learned; don't work on something when you're tired/hungry/not thinking clearly.
Truer words were never spoken..
And we've all been there.

Hey, I've known guys who had serious industrial accidents 'cause they were in a hurry, it was the end of the day, etc.

Hope you get it back on the road soon without losing too much $$$.

·
Super Moderator
1,880 Posts
If you knew someone with a tig welder, I used to stack beads on the tip of broken bolts so I could grab them with vice grips and turn them out. Not sure how applicable this is space wise or with electronics hooked up and all... knowing the electrical system in these, I wouldn't chance it, but I tbought I would throw the idea out there in case it sparked another one thT worked.

also, make sure the holes are clean and DRY before putting bolts in. Any water will create a lot of force due to the hydraulic affect when tightening the bolt.

·
Premium Member
5,710 Posts
Thanks. I'm learning. All of this was the result of a stupid mistake - so lesson learned; don't work on something when you're tired/hungry/not thinking clearly.
More important than tired and hungry is rushing.

Have you made a decision yet? From your other thread, last I knew is you were planning to take it to a shop where you know the owner?
Perhaps if you guys are close enough, he can teach you how to do the work too. Just so you have more experience.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I had it towed to the shop that's not too far from me. It's probably two miles from my house. I know the owner, but probably not well enough to hang out after hours or that sort of thing. But, I feel like he and his guys are honest. More to come...

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
....stopped by on the way home from work today. Mr. S. says, "It's bad". He had just closed, so I didn't stick around to bother him too much. They are having to pull the front cover off to get at the bolts. I'm assuming all five bolts go through the front (timing) cover into the block?
How bad do you guys think this might be? I guess in terms of hours invested....
*sigh*

·
Registered
91 Posts
Couldn't you have just used an EZ out to extract the broken bolts? Or would that area be too tight to get it in there? I'm not familiar with what's involved in changing the water pump, but when I've broken bolts, I've always used an EZ out or a left handed drill bit. Just something that's nice to have in the toolbox for times like that!

·
Premium Member
505 Posts
Couldn't you have just used an EZ out to extract the broken bolts? Or would that area be too tight to get it in there? I'm not familiar with what's involved in changing the water pump, but when I've broken bolts, I've always used an EZ out or a left handed drill bit. Just something that's nice to have in the toolbox for times like that!
That's what I was thinking...pull the grill and the radiator and you have a straight shot.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
The bolts were broken off at the beginning of the thread; so down in the timing cover holes. I was concerned that I might not be able to get nicely centered with the left handed drill bit / ez out. I dunno. Maybe I've screwed the pooch. :(

·
Premium Member
5,710 Posts
He has two threads, here and Colorado fans.

It's a time thing, and inexperience. Awkward area. Not having the knowledge of EZ out and not wanting to risk drilling the threads of the block.

I mentioned somethign about the necessary tools but he hasn't responded. Perhaps he doesn't have the tools, combined with the time to learn and do the work. He's looking at a weekend, or at least a full day - assuming a shop wants an hour per bolt. Never mind the front cover, oil pan ,etc.

·
Premium Member
2,761 Posts
The bolts were removed for the pump change so they should not be frozen in place. They are broken off, so there shouldn't be much torque on them. Unless the threads in the cover were "pulled" by the overtorque, the remaining pieces shouldn't be that hard to extract. Depending on how far the pieces are recessed, they might even come out with a sharp punch and a hammer. Access, as others have mentioned, is the key.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #20 (Edited)
Yeah, I have two threads - thanks. I'll respond to the other one on Colorado Fans, too. Sorry. And, I really appreciate all of the responses. I'm sure this has given folks all over the country a chuckle at one guy's stupidity. :-(

No, I don't have the necessary tools. I have some, but not all. No breaker bar or torque wrench. I do have a nice metric and SAE set of wrenches. Plus, the weather here has been horrible (storms, rain - for days). My buddy and I tried to take the front cover off while it was in the parking lot where I lost the water pump. No joy - couldn't get the crankshaft pulley off. At that point, I decided to throw in the towel and have it towed to ******'s Automotive here in town. They are about two miles from my house and the owner has always been very helpful. More importantly, I feel they do honest work. They've been around for years and anyone I've talked to that has been there recommends them. I've had them do work for me in the past.

My situation here is pretty stupid -and could have EASILY been avoided all together if I'd just stopped for a little while and gotten my wits about me. Live and learn, I suppose. At this point, I'm only guessing at what the labor might be. And of course, there's the time bit - wife's in school, grandfather is in the hospital, etc. You know, life - just like everyone else. I can't really complain as I brought this on myself. And so, I'm waiting for the phone to ring with news of the truck. I'm not rushing them, though. I'm just wondering how much time it'll take, because that'll be the driving factor in the cost of undoing my screwup.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts