Chevrolet Colorado & GMC Canyon Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
427 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had my 2010 V8 Colorado 4x4 paid off for about 2.5 years and the mileage was approaching 90k miles. I decided I wanted/needed a secondary truck to drive when I didn't really need the benefits of 4wd. Why wear it out when I know it would be tough to replace. Thus the hunt for a nice 2wd Colorado 3LT or Canyon SLE3, with a V8, started. I had strict requirements like low mileage (50-60k), certain colors (white, silver, or blue), and extended cab (not C/C). I gave myself an $18k budget. I would put in $4k cash down payment and finance the rest. I found several 3LTs and hardly any SLE3s. Most were too far away, wrong color, too high of mileage, or C/C instead of extended. For the amount of money that was being asked for these trucks, I just could not justify the expenditure for a 5 to 8 year old vehicle. About 10 months into my search (Sept. 2017), I ran across this truck using the search word 'lowered'. 2015 GMC Sierra 1500 Base 2wd with only 13,107 actual miles. Lowered on 20" Denali wheels. Already installed A.R.E. color matched camper shell, aftermarket Denali style chrome grill, S/S running boards, and a rubber bed mat. It also still had remaining time on the factory 3yr/36k bumper-to-bumper warranty and fit in my budget. The only thing was it had the 4.3L V6 motor. I test drove it and bought it. You probably ask, why is this guy posting this? Things don't always turn out as you originally planned, but it doesn't mean the outcome is that bad.

I have posted more details in 'My Garage' of this truck.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,236 Posts
Sweet look'n ride - congrats!

·
Premium Member
427 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Nice ride ...I wonder how much of a drop is that?? And what did he use for components/parts?

It is lowered using Rough Country Suspension Systems. It is a 2/4 lowering kit (P/N: 723.20). Also needed a 3-degree shim kit (P/N: 7052). Truck originally came with 17" wheels. The 20" wheels are wrapped with P275/55-R20 Continentals. There is no tire rub up front even with tight R or L turns.

·
Registered
2,682 Posts
Nice score for a DD, should get decent gas mi.
was it tuned for the tire/wheel swap ?

·
Premium Member
427 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The speedo was off by 5mph, dash showed 70 when GPS showed 75. I bought Rough Country's QuickCal speedometer calibrator (P/N: 90001 Model: TSD-100) and just followed the included instructions. It worked great, exactly as written. Checked against GPS and it was right on. Bad thing, it permanently marries itself to the truck's ECM/VIN during first usage. Can't be used on any other vehicle after that. Good thing, it also functions as a fault code reader. Not sure if it will reset the codes though.

On board computer shows I am averaging 21.1mpg right now. I live in the county and work in the city so traffic all the time. Plus I use the A/C anytime I feel uncomfortable.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts