Chevrolet Colorado & GMC Canyon Forum banner

brake light switch rip off

4K views 15 replies 10 participants last post by  Tonyhuffman 
#1 ·
I have a 06 Colorado and one day i noticed the cruise control wasn't working nor were the brake lights. called the dealer and they told me it could be the brake light switch. they wanted 205.bucks to replace it. i went to my local murrays parts world paid 13.00 for a new switch looked at where the switch mounted to the pedal assy .unplugged the wire connector twisted the switch pushed the new one onto the assy no tools needed and i saved 190.00 bucks and the trouble of geting an appointmtent to fix something so trivial montess007

#10 ·
First thing to check is fuses and bulbs. If all of the brake lights are not working, it can cause issues with the cruise. Next in line is checking the brake light switch. Make sure it is working correctly. After that is the multi-function switch. That is a pain because it involves removing the steering wheel.
Plenty of threads to look at. Start simple and work from there.

#13 ·
Good on you. My first 2007 was replaced under warranty. 2nd time, I made an appt first thing in the morning, thinking it was still under warranty. $120 and a 5 hour wait. After 3 hours, I looked it up in YouTube and became absolutely livid I fell for this. 3rd time, I replaced it myself and started keeping a spare. This is over the course of 14 years. You're obviously much smarter than me, but I eventually learned.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.