Chevrolet Colorado & GMC Canyon Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
k guys have a really really long story. my truck was bought in august of 2004 with 6 miles on it. i got my lisence in oct. 2007, and the truck had onlt 11,000 miles on it(my grandpa drove his truck and mine to kinda give the other ones a break, but he likes his silvy more so it got more treatment while mine sat), and now ever since i been driving it the brakes would squeak in the mornings, hell i figured no biggie, everythings fine. now it's gotten to the point where it squeaks in the morning forever, now regular driving(speed limit, no messing around at all) and my breaks when i'm done driving it 20 miles home from school they smell like i've been doing 140 and been breakin hard as hell. my friends dad said that as my truck sat not getting driven the breaks and stuff rusted, and all of a sudden all the driving it's been givin has "crystalized" my breaks which may be messing them up. i think he's right on this, but i wanted to check with you guys to see if maybe you guys had the same problem. i know this is long but i had to explain alot lol. so hit me back with what you think is the problem.

·
Registered
1,433 Posts
my brakes squeak like a BITCH.....but i havnt changed anything on them :lol: my truck has 30,000 so i probably should huh?

anyways if he has to change his pads or rotors, can anyone suggest a good replacement?

J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
my trucks got 20,450?? i think. but the hot smell i get, i haven't seen anybody else have that problem. and badazzmason, i'm 15, if i looked at my brakes i'd be clueless, i know nothing about brakes man, and what they look like if they're messed up. i may take it to my friends dads shop if you guys don't know what's goin on, cause i'd like to try and do the fix myself unless it's major ya know.

·
Registered
2,464 Posts
my brakes squeak like a BITCH.....but i havnt changed anything on them :lol: my truck has 30,000 so i probably should huh?

anyways if he has to change his pads or rotors, can anyone suggest a good replacement?
My truck has almost 60k and I havent changed anything.The only time they squeak usually is if it's rained or I havent driven it in a couple days,but,it always goes away within a mile or so.

When it's time for me i'm going powerstop,not outrageous price and their slotted and look great.

R

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
there was a service bulletin on squeaking rear brakes and they claimed the fix was to resurface the drums. they did this to my truck 6 months ago and no difference, still squeaking. ive looked at the front and rear brakes, everything seems fine as far as normal wear and tear for 37000 miles. lots of pad and shoe left with no cracking or anything. drums and rotors are the same way, no cracking, pitting and no vibrating.

we can take a look at em on sat jordan when we change the oil but i will bet its really no big deal. we can paint your drums while we got em off....

·
Registered
2,464 Posts
my trucks got 20,450?? i think. but the hot smell i get, i haven't seen anybody else have that problem. and badazzmason, i'm 15, if i looked at my brakes i'd be clueless, i know nothing about brakes man, and what they look like if they're messed up. i may take it to my friends dads shop if you guys don't know what's goin on, cause i'd like to try and do the fix myself unless it's major ya know.
I didnt realize you were that young,but there has to be a first time for everything right.Inspect them with someone that knows what their looking at,more than likley it's not going to be serious.

J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
well damn. that explains the squeaky rusty, but what about the bad smell? i'm talkin this shit smells like my brakes is fooked man seriously, and i can tell a little difference in em man. they don't stop like they used to. i know i know teh miles are gettin on em but the smell kinda worries me.

J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I didnt realize you were that young,but there has to be a first time for everything right.Inspect them with someone that knows what their looking at,more than likley it's not going to be serious.
yea man. i'm 15, but i try my hardest to do what i can by myself, but sometimes i just can't so i go to my 355 sites. lol.

J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
but man do you really have an idea to what may be going on???

·
Registered
577 Posts
do you get youre license at 15 in SC? i bet youre truck brakes are crystalized but i cant realy describe what the look like. i just got my license in nov and my truck had sat for two years in a salvage yard (before i rebuilt it) i actualy just ran my truck for about 200 meters (1/8 mile) with the brakes on and it cleared it up. good luck and you might try that.

R

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
well damn. that explains the squeaky rusty, but what about the bad smell? i'm talkin this shit smells like my brakes is fooked man seriously, and i can tell a little difference in em man. they don't stop like they used to. i know i know teh miles are gettin on em but the smell kinda worries me.
we will look at em. at 20k they shouldnt be bad but shit happens.

J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
dude i thought it was my motor today it smelled so bad. i was like this can't be my brakes it has to be my exhaust or my motor, but no man. it's my front brakes for sure.

J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
do you get youre license at 15 in SC? i bet youre truck brakes are crystalized but i cant realy describe what the look like. i just got my license in nov and my truck had sat for two years in a salvage yard (before i rebuilt it) i actualy just ran my truck for about 200 meters (1/8 mile) with the brakes on and it cleared it up. good luck and you might try that.
yea man you can get it at 15. like 6534342323 people's asked me that. yea man my birthday's 4/9/1992, i'm fifteen years old lol.

·
Registered
2,464 Posts
Hard to say without inspecting them myself,but your buddy's dad could be right.If they are when you look at them the'll be........shiney is the only wat i can describe it.

J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
ppreciate it man. me and some of my carolina 355er's gonna take a look at it this weekend. lol.

J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
haha. couldn't do some of my shit w/o em, they're trustworthy :355:

·
Registered
3,187 Posts
my brakes squeak like a mother in the morning i took off the the wheels and everything looks fine. I think its just the pads. Probably the same with you just change the pads an see if that works.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts