Chevrolet Colorado & GMC Canyon Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
1,627 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My brakes are squealing HORRIBLY! I had the product update performed a couple months ago. I was just thinking about swallowing hard and changing my brakes at 17000 miles. BUT I still have the factory warranty...so I was thinking I might as well get it fixed for free! Than I started thinking about just plain fixing it myself since I will have the wheels off this weekend.

So I said all that to ask this simple question...WHAT THE HELL CAN I DO TO FIX IT?? Very harsh squealing !!! Slow speeds medium peddle pressure

·
Registered
2,464 Posts
Try to spray the rotors with brake cleaner,maybe put some disc brake stop squeek on the pads.

:mjb: sorry just wanted to do this,Haha

·
Registered
108 Posts
sounds like your screachers are touching the rotor which means your pads are worn thin. Just change the front pads and see if that works.

·
Registered
563 Posts
check the pad thicknesses first LOL. if theyre okay try scuffing the pads a little then apply some stop squeak like badazzmason said (i used bg brake quiet at work all the time, and it usually works 99.9% of the time)

oh yeah how are the rotors looking? glazed?scored? pitting?

J

·
0 Posts
mine does the same thing. started at about 15,000 miles :shrug: bt mine's an 04 and the warrantyis over :mad: now i have 22,000 and it still does it. :shrug:

J

·
0 Posts
well dude take it up to the place and let them check it out and get back to me. i need to know why my shit be screaching. lol.

·
Registered
1,627 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I just went out and looked at them.....The pad has like 1/4inch worth of pad left.

All though the rotors are VERY black and there is no scoring or pitts or anything..

I am thinking that the pads may be glazed.

J

·
0 Posts
I just went out and looked at them.....The pad has like 1/4inch worth of pad left.

All though the rotors are VERY black and there is no scoring or pitts or anything..

I am thinking that the pads may be glazed.
:shrug: i'l go take a look at min later

·
Registered
757 Posts
same thing happend to me at 32k miles took it to dealer they deglazed it twice never helped and supposedly turned rotors but i dont think they did... but l8tly its like it just stopped like something was in it or something i dont kno it only does it for me now when its really cold or really wet...

·
Registered
1,627 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
same thing happend to me at 32k miles took it to dealer they deglazed it twice never helped and supposedly turned rotors but i dont think they did... but l8tly its like it just stopped like something was in it or something i dont kno it only does it for me now when its really cold or really wet...
x2 on the really cold or really wet thing.

It was both today and it made me post :kiki:

·
Registered
2,435 Posts
x2 on the really cold or really wet thing.

It was both today and it made me post :kiki:
our OE pads are semi-metallic. this is the main problem, while good for braking distance, they are bad for noise. main reason is they absorb moisture as they cool. that moisture metal mixture turns to rust and takes a few stops to remove it before the squeal goes away.

the reason for squealing after warming up is just the friction material GM used. its a high metallic compound which like i said is good for braking performance, but thats about it.

a few things you can try. first is actually USING your brakes. do some hard braking, i usually do 60-20 slowdowns almost as hard as possible without abs engagement. a few of these will get the brakes good and hot and remove any debri bedded into the surface of the pads. its very important not to stop completely when doing this as it will cause hot spots in the rotor. after doing a few drive normal for a few miles to allow them to cool.

if that doesnt help the next step is deglazing the pads. take a piece of sandpaper and lay it flat on a board or something thats good and flat. i prefer 180 grit as it cuts the pad down quick. lay the pad on the paper and rub back and forth keeping the pad flat to the paper. let the sandpaper do the work, it doesnt take much pressure. once the pad looks fresh again (should be lighter in color across the WHOLE pad) you are done with that one. do this to each pad and reinstall using brake lub (brake quiet does nothing, i could explain why but its an arguement i dont wanna start because some people believe in it). apply brake silicon lube to the contact points of the pad to the caliper bracket and if you have some anti-seize apply it to the backside of the pad (thin layer for both lube and anti-seize is all thats needed). after this step the bedding of the pads to the rotor is the most important part of a quality brake job so dont do it any other way or you wasted your time.

you want to do 4 60-20 braking sequences only this time very light braking the first time with increased pressure each time, until the last time NORMAL brake pressure. whatever you do DO NOT stop completely during this process, if you get to a stop sign slow as much as possible without stopping and release the brakes before you stop moving, if you pause for a few seconds even if you are barely rolling its hard for a cop to say you didnt stop.

be warned when deglazing pads (scuffing with sandpaper) the first few times you brake its not gonna have full effect. to get full braking power you have to seat the pads to the rotors. dont follow too closely to someone.

hope this helps. and if someone really wants to know why or argue about brake quiet sticky stuff spray PM me, and we can have that discussion.

·
Registered
2,464 Posts
Haha,I think you may be refering to me and my suggestion above,but it was just an idea,I have honestly never used the stuff.But I am curious as to why it doesnt do anything.

·
Registered
563 Posts
im curious as well. maybe i only thought it worked because i scuffed the pads beforehand.

·
Registered
1,627 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
WOW. Thanks SC! I really appreciate the time you took to write that up! I will be doing that later...

·
Registered
2,435 Posts
WOW. Thanks SC! I really appreciate the time you took to write that up! I will be doing that later...
no problem dude, i spent alot of time perfecting the practice, so i might as well pass on what works for me. and i live in SCarolina where humidity is upper 90s most of the year, so i deal with this alot.

only thing i ask is for an update, because there are other tricks, usually way less effective as the before mentioned methods.

as for everyone else asking the "brake quiet" question, sorry, but 3M has paid me not to pay you, that way you will keep paying $7 for a can each time you do a brake job. J/K, i just dont feel like explaning it, just know that its a waste of time.

·
Registered
41 Posts
My truck only has the cold squealing issue when its been damp, about 3-4 stops and it goes away. Its NOT the front disk brakes in this case, its the drums. Nothing you can do about that part.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts