Chevrolet Colorado & GMC Canyon Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,685 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have read about the many problems with our brakes squeaking. I just did a brake job not to long ago. The noise comes from the drivers side. I replaced rotors, pads, and brake hardware. Yes, I lubed the pins. It started to act worse after I was stupid enough to not double check my torque on the bolts. The bolt that holds the caliper assembly located on the spindle/knuckle came loose. Heard a loud bang from the bolt falling out and hitting my truck. Boy am I dumb.... Kept riding with it like that because I thought I must've thrown something up with my tire. I then heard metal bang to metal when stopping. Before all of this I had a caliper piston that wasn't willing to be compressed. So I thought maybe the piston was at fault. Then I noticed the bolt was gone and replaced it along with new brake hardware and grease for my pins. Now it makes a consistent squeak when rolling down the street. I was too embarrassed to tell you guys. Know I need your help. Pads and rotors look fine. I have been under the impression that my caliper may need to be replaced. Any thoughts or suggestions will be much appreciated. I'm a prior aircraft mechanic not an auto mechanic! I'm just a DIY guy who drives it as a dd.

Thanks bros,
Mat g.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Premium Member
2,761 Posts
Most disc brakes have a metal tab, on at least one of the pads, that will contact the rotor and cause a squeaking noise when the pad is worn. Maybe the tab got bent when the caliper shifted while the bolt was out. As an aircraft mechanic (47 years), I learned to place a torque wrench in full view during maintenance, as a reminder. Mistakes like that are not good on an aircraft.

·
Registered
1,685 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Most disc brakes have a metal tab, on at least one of the pads, that will contact the rotor and cause a squeaking noise when the pad is worn. Maybe the tab got bent when the caliper shifted while the bolt was out. As an aircraft mechanic (47 years), I learned to place a torque wrench in full view during maintenance, as a reminder. Mistakes like that are not good on an aircraft.

Not an aircraft mechanic anymore. I usually go by the torque specs. I used a torque wrench many times and I am very familiar in how to use them. The cheesy one I have isn't working correctly. No i did not drop it but I do have a brother who negligently uses my shit and breaks it without knowing/is to afraid to tell me. I will take a look at the tab but seemed fine to me when I removed yesterday. Also, I can't recall cleaning the new rotors but thought I did. I will probably just try another set of pads just in case. I will be sure to clean the rotor before I put the new set on.

G

·
0 Posts
Hello gunnyboy,

We are sorry to hear that you've been having these concerns with your truck. We understand that you are seeking advice and opinions from your fellow forum members and we may not be able to assist with any do-it-yourself information. However if you'd like to take it in to the dealership or if you'd like us to document your concerns in our system, we'd be happy to do so. You are welcome to send us a private message any time.

Thank you,

Andraya R.
GM Customer Care

·
maniac mechanic
5,779 Posts
Hello gunnyboy

We are sorry to hear that you've been having these concerns with your truck. We understand that you are seeking advice and opinions from your fellow forum members and we may not be able to assist with any do-it-yourself information. However if you'd like to take it in to the dealership or if you'd like us to document your concerns in our system, we'd be happy to do so. You are welcome to send us a private message any time.

Thank you,

Andraya R.
GM Customer Care
Really if this is the input you are going to provide, kindly leave the forum.

·
Formerly Metal_EMT
1,880 Posts
Really if this is the input you are going to provide, kindly leave the forum.
I almost have the script portion of this memorized. I understand the poster is likely employed by GM to post replies to this type of thread, however, it might be better help to create a thread that tells us how to contact GM Customer Care in the event of a problem with a dealership or that contacting GM directly may be useful. (i.e. We discover a safety defect in manufacturing that may warrant a recall or TSB or we discover a common problem in the 2015 model to address for 2016.)

Also tagging the GM account (if that still works) on threads where needed may work better.

P.S. :popc::popc::popc: and :th_ontopic:

G

·
0 Posts
I almost have the script portion of this memorized. I understand the poster is likely employed by GM to post replies to this type of thread, however, it might be better help to create a thread that tells us how to contact GM Customer Care in the event of a problem with a dealership or that contacting GM directly may be useful. (i.e. We discover a safety defect in manufacturing that may warrant a recall or TSB or we discover a common problem in the 2015 model to address for 2016.)

Also tagging the GM account (if that still works) on threads where needed may work better.

P.S. :popc::popc::popc: and :th_ontopic:
Hello HK_Titan,

Customers can reach out to us directly here on the forum by sending a private message or if you would rather speak with a representative by phone, our Customer Assistance Center would be happy to assist you. They can be reached at 800-222-1020, Monday - Saturday 8AM - 9PM EST.

Thank you,

Andraya
GM Customer Care

·
355 Parts Hoarder
6,842 Posts
Thread cleaned up, Keep it on topic Fellas.

If you have a Question or Comment for GM Customer Service, send them a PM.

·
Registered
1,685 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
This thread was trashed quick. I did notice today that if I barely apply pressure whilst driving the squeak goes away. May get new pads and get the rotor turned. I'll see what that will do. If not I'll go back to my original hypothesis of replacing the caliper.

·
maniac mechanic
5,779 Posts
It's tough to say. There's the metal brackets the pads slide on, maybe a backing plate came off a pad when the caliper came loose, you may have bent the abutment bracket the caliper mounts to, rotor could be bent.

Jack up the truck, take off the tire and spin the hub to pinpoint the squeak.

·
Registered
1,685 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
If it goes away with slight brake pressure it may be the brake pad shims I've had all kinds of weird noises from them

Just replaced the shims. They are brand new. When I turn the rotor with the wheel off. I still don't hear any noises. I hope I didn't f up that rotor. I'll find out more next week when I get a chance. Thanks for the input guys.

·
maniac mechanic
5,779 Posts
If you have no noise without you applying the brakes then it is either a glassed over rotor, the metal sliders not seated properly(I know you changed them but you could still install them wrong and they should be greased with Amazon.com: CRC Disc Brake Quiet 05016, 4 Fl Oz: Automotive) or you have something up with a pad.

Take 220 grit sandpaper and scuff the pads good and rotor and reassemble everything paying real close attention and use the grease I linked above on the sliders and the back of the pads.

·
RIP Forrest
12,421 Posts
If the caliper can't be compressed I would start there, I just had to replace one of mine for sticking and it was causing the brakes to drag bad

·
Registered
1,685 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I use the crc brake grease. Bought it last weekend. Guys, I made a rookie mistake. Let's just say when I installed the new rotors at a friends house, he ran out of thread locker. He told me to go home and remove/install with thread locker. We were engaged in heavy projects that day and totally forgot about it when I got back home. With my 3rd shift work keeping my mind occupied, I lost my train of thought. So today I got under there and sure enough.... Rotor bolts had started to back out. I don't know why I forgot to check the bolts on the rotors. Hell, I had removed that side several times. At least it's fixed. I am surprised firestone didn't see it! I took it to them a few weeks ago and they told me to replace the shims..... It's all good now... Thanks guys for trying to help out my retarded ass.... Moral of this story.... Use thread locker or a decent torque wrench.

·
Registered
1,685 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Maybe next time I'll have my head out of my fourth point of contact. So glad I don't have to hear that noise anymore. Now I can ride in peace....

1 - 18 of 18 Posts