Chevrolet Colorado & GMC Canyon Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
371 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK when it comes to brakes there really isn't much here?

I'm looking for rear disk brakes (off of a factory vehicle) to swap on my rear, and the biggest brakes for the front which looks like it's the h3 swap.

Now I'm only doing this for the look honestly I don't need that much brakes (I'm sure it will help tho) I'm looking for a set of xtreme wheels and I want to fill them up as much as I could without spending $2600 lol

I see the rear h3 brakes mentioned did anyone actually try them?

How about Silverado brakes For the 8.5 guys?

·
Registered
2,959 Posts
I didn't expect any noticeable improvement from the Street Rod Manufacturing rear disk kit.
I was in it mostly for appearance and improved serviceability.

I was very pleasantly surprised at the improvement in braking power and improved pedal-feel.

This kit uses Olds Toronado/Cadillac Eldorado rear calipers. SRMC won't reveal which modified discs (drilled with the 355 bolt-pattern) they used.
Their current price for replacement discs is $62.

Street Rod Manufacturing Rear Disc Conversion Kit for the Chevy Colorado

http://www.355nation.net/forum/brakes/103769-streetrod-rear-break-kit-group-buy.html

I would do it again in a heartbeat.

·
the guy that always on
3,237 Posts
Another cheap option is swap in an Isuzu dana 44 rear axle. Same bolt pattern and hub bore. Disc brakes and usually a factory limited slip. Plus they are abundant and usually cheap. You may be able to get the rear, match you current gears, and get disk brakes for cheaper then a conversion kit

·
the guy that always on
3,237 Posts
Another cheap option is swap in an Isuzu dana 44 rear axle. Same bolt pattern and hub bore. Disc brakes and usually a factory limited slip. Plus they are abundant and usually cheap. You may be able to get the rear, match you current gears, and get disk brakes for cheaper then a conversion kit
Also your current rear could be sold and make a lot of it back.

·
Registered
2,686 Posts
I saw a few Isuzu rears on e-bay

·
Registered
371 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
This, are they the same width? Any threads you could link?

·
Registered
2,959 Posts

·
Registered
371 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I have the SSBC kit on my truck. It was $1200 for the rear kit.

Disc Brake Kit Rear - 1 (Single) Piston Sport R1 Plus with 12.8in Rotor
I cannot deny they look great, I can't see giving $1200 for just rear brakes.

I looked into the Isuzu rear end and it's a much better (read cheaper) option for me I found a whole rear end on Clist for $70 4.30 LSD disk brakes (that may be a deal but generally they sell for $150-$200) I wanted lower gears anyhow and don't have posi so this option solves a lot of problems for me.

·
the guy that always on
3,237 Posts
I cannot deny they look great, I can't see giving $1200 for just rear brakes.

I looked into the Isuzu rear end and it's a much better (read cheaper) option for me I found a whole rear end on Clist for $70 4.30 LSD disk brakes (that may be a deal but generally they sell for $150-$200) I wanted lower gears anyhow and don't have posi so this option solves a lot of problems for me.
So far my isuzu swap has cost me $150. The the rear and new leaf perches. This rear also opens you up to a lot more options as far as lsd/ lockers go. Pre 98 isuzus were 58" wms to wms and is a standard dana 44 rear. 98+ is 63" wms to wms and is a modified dana 44 with a larger ring gear and larger pinion shaft. The only other thing to consider is the flange type pinion yoke. Your drive shaft may be too long with the flange yoke. But a standard d44 yoke would solve that easy. I haven't gotten far enough into my swap to know if on a lowered application the drive shaft is short enough or not.

·
Registered
371 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
So far my isuzu swap has cost me $150. The the rear and new leaf perches. This rear also opens you up to a lot more options as far as lsd/ lockers go. Pre 98 isuzus were 58" wms to wms and is a standard dana 44 rear. 98+ is 63" wms to wms and is a modified dana 44 with a larger ring gear and larger pinion shaft. The only other thing to consider is the flange type pinion yoke. Your drive shaft may be too long with the flange yoke. But a standard d44 yoke would solve that easy. I haven't gotten far enough into my swap to know if on a lowered application the drive shaft is short enough or not.
ya from what i read the 98+ is a "super 44" 63" 96-97 regular dana 44 60 3/4" (i think that almost perfect for 2wd right?) the one i plan on buying is a 96.

·
the guy that always on
3,237 Posts
I'm not one hundred percent on the years and widths but I do think I remember there being three widths. Mine is from a 94 and it's 58". I measured my stock rear but since forgot the measurment I'm working on having my spring perches welded up soon so I should have more info on brake lines, parking brake cable and whatnot. Let me see if I posted that measurment

·
US Army 19yrs and ......
45,284 Posts
^^ To much guess work........for some rear calipers.

If you need to fab new spring mounts, modify the driveshaft(and have it balanced), the figure the yoke out.....then replace all the brake hardware thats probley bee sitting outside on the ground, drain the diff and refill.............thats going to quickly surpass of the rear disc conversion @Rick_crew was speaking of.

But trucks are like Burger King......have it your way. Please note: that's not always the best and or cheapest way....just saying.

·
Registered
371 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
^^ To much guess work........for some rear calipers.

If you need to fab new spring mounts, modify the driveshaft(and have it balanced), the figure the yoke out.....then replace all the brake hardware thats probley bee sitting outside on the ground, drain the diff and refill.............thats going to quickly surpass of the rear disc conversion @Rick_crew was speaking of.

But trucks are like Burger King......have it your way. Please note: that's not always the best and or cheapest way....just saying.

For just brakes I agree really not worth the trouble unless you really want rear disks (I do) but with the Dana swap you get a stronger rear end lsd (if you don't have G80) and a much lower gear ratio I know the guys with big wheels will benefit from this I'm swapping a 5.3 once I know all the details so on small tires (assuming traction isn't a issue) great quarter mile times.

On a side note my neighbor was dropping his fuel tank on his Silverado and I took a look under there and the backing plate looked identical so it may be possible to swap Silverado brakes just bore the hub on the rotors

·
US Army 19yrs and ......
45,284 Posts

·
US Army 19yrs and ......
45,284 Posts
PM's and messages don't get his attention so maybe this will? :shrug:

@Jesse

It has my attention now and I bought it up in the Moderator section
@ZQ8inCO

I'll advise you to get on the ball and get your parts out in a timely manner. These issues are not taken lightly here.

Tracking numbers are great things to provide buyers.......it covers both parties

1 - 20 of 22 Posts