Chevrolet Colorado & GMC Canyon Forum banner

221 - 240 of 244 Posts

·
Super Moderator
13,732 Posts
Re: Brake upgrade 09+ brakes(front) on 04-08 355s ???

Question for those that have completed the 09+ upgrade. What is the smallest diameter wheel can I run? The reason has to do with what size wheel I will need for a spare. I have 20's on my truck but I need a spare wheel and I believe my 15" will not work. my present spare is one of my original 15" wheels.
The '09+ trucks all came with a 16" diameter spare steel wheel. The stock spare tire size is P215/70R16. This was necessary to accommodate the larger front disc brakes.

If you don't mind changing two wheels, you could always put your 15" spare on the rear and then move one of your good 20's from the rear to the front. Sure it's a bit of a pain-in-the-ass, but it would get you out of a jam.

·
Premium Member
798 Posts

Thanks I was kind of thinking that was the case. Guess I'll look for a 16" rim and put a tire close in diameter to what I have on now.

·
Premium Member
798 Posts

I hear ya James I have a whole set of 15's in my garage I would love to get rid of also. The 15 worked fine for my spare but now I'm ready to do my full brake upgrade and got to get a larger wheel.

·
Premium Member
670 Posts

looks like i have the same "wrong" calipers/brackets as you got.

getting to the bottom of this, i'm thinking the brackets are for a different gm vehicle.
I've noticed about half the 09+ caliper pictures on the RockAuto website show the wider 7.5-inch bolt spacing distance for the caliper brackets and a 5-inch spacing is required to fit the 04-08 spindles?

The A1-Cardone & Centric brand calipers are the only ones with the correct caliper bracket hole spacing.

·
Premium Member
798 Posts

Hey you can get then from another place too Freeballin. I purchased my calipers from Brake Performance and they came with the correct brackets. I'm going to sell the new ones I purchased from GMParts Direct. When I ordered my powdercoated calipers I didn't know they would come with powdercoated brackets so that was a plus.

·
Registered
1,408 Posts

having issues with my upgrade

hubs won't fit

·
Roll Damn Tide!
631 Posts

bump

·
Registered
172 Posts

Anybody know which rotor goes on what side from the ssbc brake kit? The part numbers I have are A2677 and A2678. So if somebody could please tell me which one goes on what side I would appreciate it as the instructions doesn't say.

·
Registered
25 Posts

I have a 2009 Z85 w/t reg. cab. Has anyone found a larger brake upgrade for the 09? Perhaps from another GM truck? If not I will begin to research. Mine will need new brakes before long.

·
Registered
2,686 Posts

in for an upgrade on 09 and up trucks, even a better caliper
for our rotors would be ok.

·
US Army 19yrs and ......
45,284 Posts
Discussion Starter #234

YellowStuff pads and SS braided lines will be a huge difference in braking and pedal feel Al.....I have both with my 09+ brake as well as slotted/drilled rotors
@TurboAl

·
Premium Member
798 Posts

True Jesse they do create more brake dust but their stopping power is a lot better. What's a little extra wheel cleaning to a guy who keeps their truck clean anyhow.

·
US Army 19yrs and ......
45,284 Posts
Discussion Starter #237

Cleaning wheels is a cheap task in my mind.......people here in the DC area drive like assholes.

Stopping power > Dust/wheel cleaning = cheaper then a insurance claim too
@Jesse @BigR

·
Registered
2,686 Posts

I have a set of front drilled and slotted rotors from R1 Concept and a set of Wagner
extreme duty pads sitting on the shelf in the garage, picked them up on sale.
will use them when i need front brakes. only 27,450 mi on truck more than 50%
still on pads. will go with the braided lines also.

·
Registered
937 Posts
I finallyyyy did the swap today after years of procrastination.. all I can say is WOW!!! totally night and day difference! It made such a big of a difference! This truck stops better than I've ever seen. Anybody that has ever thought about doing this swap needs to do it. Best $200 I've ever spent. Oh, and also it makes it so much easier if someone is there to help you hold the hub.

·
US Army 19yrs and ......
45,284 Posts
Discussion Starter #240
Welcome to the Club!!!!!

221 - 240 of 244 Posts