Chevrolet Colorado & GMC Canyon Forum banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok first off i did do a quick search so dont kill me if i missed something im trying to get the info asap im at the dealer now. just had my inspection done and they are telling me my rotors are totally rusted and pads are low. thats fine i guess but there saying its gonna be almost a 900 dollar job bc everything needs to come off and rotor pressed. is this true? i know i had that on my 91 accord but have never read it about these trucks. its a 2010 colorado. 4wd.
thanks for any help
jay

·
Registered
378 Posts
Buy powerstop rotors and pads and do everything you're self for under 150$

·
Premium Member
639 Posts
sounds like someone is trying to take you to the bank

I am not 100% sure on the 2010, but the rotor replacement on my 2006 was a bitch. you need to remove the hubs because of how the rotor is mounted to the back of the hub. do research before you pay for anything. 900 sounds very very very high, and exactly what is "rusted"? did you trailer your truck their, because if not and if the brakes are working correctly the only rust would be on non-moving parts and that should not matter.

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
ya im fuming bc i am at the dealer and this service guy is the same one ive been dealing with since i had my 05. im beyond mad that there screwing with me. thank you guys i really appreciate the crazy fast responses

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
amoore117 idk what "rusted" consists of. im gonna pull the rims tires off on sat with my dad and take a close look bc the dealer already put everything back on and parked it. i would think having a good relationship with this guy he would have wanted to show me. im totally confused at their actions.

and i will take some pics sat of the rotors to get some opinions what u guys think. thank u again

·
Registered
406 Posts
:shrug:
Rotors do not need to be "pressed" never go back to that shop again.
I could be wrong but I'm pretty sure 4X4 do need to be pressed. You would basically follow the how to for 4X4 Hub/wheel bearing replacement. I haven't done it yet but it seems like a fairly involved process. To me $900 from the dealer for their parts/labor sounds about right. It probably calls for 3-4 hours per side. :shrug:

·
US Army 19yrs and ......
45,284 Posts
They clearly think your a sucker.....fuck em.

buy the parts and do it yourself. There are How To threads for this.

I did all 4 ball joints, new endlinks(adjustable), slotted/dilled rotors, EBC YellowStuff pads, hubs(TIMKENs), 09+ calipers and shop time on Base for $930.
@comdrop9073 helped me out so we could get it done quick.

Factory rotros and pads as a kit(part number KOE5405) from RockAuto is about $95 not including the forum discount and shipping.............so $800 in Labor......damn I'm in the wrong business............they are straight up fucking people over

·
Registered
406 Posts
amoore117 idk what "rusted" consists of. im gonna pull the rims tires off on sat with my dad and take a close look bc the dealer already put everything back on and parked it. i would think having a good relationship with this guy he would have wanted to show me. im totally confused at their actions.

and i will take some pics sat of the rotors to get some opinions what u guys think. thank u again

The rotors are probably too corroded to be machined or maybe they're too close to the minimum thickness specification.

But you are right. They should have showed you the "rust" before they put it back together.

·
US Army 19yrs and ......
45,284 Posts
:shrug:

I could be wrong but I'm pretty sure 4X4 do need to be pressed. You would basically follow the how to for 4X4 Hub/wheel bearing replacement. I haven't done it yet but it seems like a fairly involved process. To me $900 from the dealer for their parts/labor sounds about right. It probably calls for 3-4 hours per side. :shrug:
I have done it 3 time now.........twice on mine and once on :supermod: truck

Only if you like to throw money away.......its not that labor intensive....even with only hand tools.

Maybe if you take a 2 hours lunch break per side and a few smoke breaks. Its maybe 2 hours per side with basic tools and an understanding of how everything comes apart. Some have done it in about 1hour per side. *** you can remove the rotors 2 different ways......remove the whole spindle/knuckle assembly or just unbolt the hub assembey from the spindle/knuckle and remove the rotor that way. I have done both ways.......I founf removing the whole spindle/knuckle the easiest.

·
US Army 19yrs and ......
45,284 Posts
The rotors are probably too corroded to be machined or maybe they're too close to the minimum thickness specification.

But you are right. They should have showed you the "rust" before they put it back together.
Rust or corrosion are scary words techs can use to up sell more shit and billable hours......more often then not.

I have some "rust" on my frame.....guess that means it needs to be replaced............please sense the strong hint of sarcasim there

·
Registered
406 Posts
I have done it 3 time now.........twice on mine and once on :supermod: truck

Only if you like to throw money away.......its not that labor intensive....even with only hand tools.

Maybe if you take a 2 hours lunch break per side and a few smoke breaks. Its maybe 2 hours per side with basic tools and an understanding of how everything comes apart. Some have done it in about 1hour per side. *** you can remove the rotors 2 different ways......remove the whole spindle/knuckle assembly or just unbolt the hub assembey from the spindle/knuckle and remove the rotor that way. I have done both ways.......I founf removing the whole spindle/knuckle the easiest.
I agree with you on the actual time it will take. I was just saying that the labor manual probably calls for 3-4 hours per side and that's why it costs so much. Plus the dealer price for rotors is gonna be way more than rockauto, autozone, ect.

·
Hybrid
5,842 Posts
*** you can remove the rotors 2 different ways......remove the whole spindle/knuckle assembly or just unbolt the hub assembey from the spindle/knuckle and remove the rotor that way. I have done both ways.......I founf removing the whole spindle/knuckle the easiest.
:bs:

·
Registered
2,959 Posts
Last time my front brakes were done (at about 110K) I had just arrived in the Milwaukee area (not my home area, there for work for 6 months) and the shop charged me something like (from memory) about $800, citing of course the labor to remove the captive rotors, etc.

At the time I had to get it done ASAP and didn't know anyone in the area.
The time in that situation was worth more to me than shopping it around for the best price.

That captive rotor design definitely requires more labor, but someone posted here a few months ago the advantages of a captive design.
I've since learned that most high-end performance cars use captive rotors.

If (that's IF, many folks here know more about it than I) it makes for a better brake setup, then I'm in favor of it even with the higher cost of maintenance.

·
Registered
242 Posts
Just had my brakes done (don't trust myself enough to DIY) at Firestone.....They originally quoted my $700.00 and after negotiating with them, I had new rotors and pads (OEM but whatever) for $499.00 and took one of their guys about 3hrs to do.

May still be a little expensive, but I know I would still be out there installing the front brakes if I attempted them (got them done 6 weeks ago).

·
Premium Member
626 Posts
Just got the power stop kit from rockauto for 129.00 I've replaced the Abs bearing assembly before so I figure should be too big of a deal, and hell a lots better than 500$!!!

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
US Army 19yrs and ......
45,284 Posts
I agree with you on the actual time it will take. I was just saying that the labor manual probably calls for 3-4 hours per side and that's why it costs so much. Plus the dealer price for rotors is gonna be way more than rockauto, autozone, ect.
I will agree with that statement

Am I missing something Mr Keystone. BTW, how the fuck are you doing stranger @dents-n-dings

1 - 20 of 42 Posts