Chevrolet Colorado & GMC Canyon Forum banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
358 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i dont kno wat the hell is goin on so hopefully someone can help. my pads are constantly rubbing and squeeling. the pads are fine and they are ceramic son they shouldnt be doing this. its almost like the piston isnt retracting enough. could it be air in the lines?

·
Registered
3,444 Posts
No idea but I know mine squeel occasionally under braking... are you saying yours is squeeling while your NOT on the brakes?

·
Registered
358 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
they squeel both while on the brakes and off. its constant and annoying

·
Registered
358 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Generally, if they're squealing when you're not on them, that means you need new front brake pads. Get 'em done before you ruin your rotors.

Might as well check on the rears while you're at it.
thats the thing. the pads are basically new. i replaced the stock ones with ceramic pads a couple months back and they are still good. they still have a good inch left on em.

·
Registered
3,444 Posts
Generally, if they're squealing when you're not on them, that means you need new front brake pads. Get 'em done before you ruin your rotors.

Might as well check on the rears while you're at it.
Huh? i've NEVER heard of brakes just squeeling when your not pressing them. When I had my old camaro the car would whine/whistle under speed and the wheel bearings were going bad.

It sounds like it might be a wheel bearing or something in the rotating assembly if its doing it while driving and not braking. Does the sound get louder/quieter with speed?

·
Registered
358 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
no its always just a constant sound. yesterday i took off the caliper thinkin that something might be dirty and sprayed it with brake cleaner. didnt help but i did notice that when i turned the rotor it would just constantly rub like the piston isnt fully releasing. my friend told me that i might have air in the lines. right now im at 35,200 mile so im gonna try and take it up to the dealer soon.

·
Registered
3,444 Posts
Yeah man honestly... i'd take it to the dealership if your still on the stock braking set-up. But their gonna charge you "diagnostic time" while they check things out...

·
Registered
4,682 Posts
Huh? i've NEVER heard of brakes just squeeling when your not pressing them. When I had my old camaro the car would whine/whistle under speed and the wheel bearings were going bad.

It sounds like it might be a wheel bearing or something in the rotating assembly if its doing it while driving and not braking. Does the sound get louder/quieter with speed?
It's called an indicator.

They produce a high pitch squeal/screech to let you know your pads are running low and that they need attention.

·
Registered
358 Posts
Discussion Starter #10

They produce a high pitch squeal/screech to let you know your pads are running low and that they need attention.
read above. the pads are fine plenty left almost brand new

·
Registered
358 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Yeah man honestly... i'd take it to the dealership if your still on the stock braking set-up. But their gonna charge you "diagnostic time" while they check things out...
the only thing different is the pads. and they r not gonna charge me that $97 bullshit while under warrenty cause it is obviously a problem i couldnt have really helpped that much

·
Registered
3,444 Posts

Right, but those are ment to squeel when your pressing the brakes... not just driving down the road using the accelerator.

And about the diagnosis charge... if your still under warrenty I have no idea why you haven't taken it in yet. My truck was in the shop every single time I had an issue with it. USE AND ABUSE THE WARRENTY WHILE YOU'VE STILL GOT IT :)

·
Registered
358 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
the only problem is time. school mon. wed. fri. then work whenever possible. and like you i need my truck to work. i probly wont be able to till sat

·
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
5,884 Posts
I haven't taken a close look at the brakes on our trucks but I'm going to assume we have a floating caliper. It sounds like when you changed the pads you probably didn't lube the pins that the caliper slides on. If that's the case then that'd be the first thing I'd try. The special grease for it is only a couple bucks at any parts store, and it shouldn't take that long to take care of.

I don't know why you would need to replace your front pads so soon, unless it's from the extra weight of your wheels. I've got almost 50k on my stock pads without any problems.

·
Registered
358 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
im not sure wat you mean by the pins so i guess that could be it lol...i didnt have to replace them but i was geting a lot of brake dust on my wheels so i threw on some ceramics

edit: nvm i know now. i didnt do that and im prolly goin to in the mornin

·
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
5,884 Posts
FYI: I'm pretty sure our trucks came with ceramic pads from the factory.

·
Registered
358 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
if they were they were some shitty ones. cause i was getting brake dust all over

·
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
5,884 Posts
I don't have any problems with brake dust, but like I said maybe it has to do with your wheels. :shrug:

·
Registered
358 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
yea idk w/e

·
Registered
2,435 Posts
brakenit we do have floating calipers, but if he had a stuck slide pin i doubt he would have gotten the caliper back down over the new pads. i would take a look at the pad hardware, make sure you didnt bend any of it. your caliper only releases just enough to not wear the pads or cause heat while not on the brakes, you will still hear them touching the rotor though so unless it takes force to turn the rotor you are fine.

if you had a bearing going bad allowing the caliper to shift and hit the bracket your pedal would be lower than normal and the noise would go away when you hit the brakes because the caliper and pads would force the rotor to the upright position.

all this leads me to believe installation is the problem.

and NO you dont have air in the lines, if you did your brake pedal would be spongy. and unless you opened a hydraulic line or the bleeders there is no way air could have gotten introduced into the system.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts