Chevrolet Colorado & GMC Canyon Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just wondering what everyone's doing about their frames rusting through. I had a friend send me a local picture of a Colorado broke in half and setting on the ground. Just last week I actually stopped and talked to a guy who had his 2004 Colorado break in half. Looking closely at his frame, it was completely rusted out just ahead of the rear spring mount. Now I'm worried that my "08 could be headed for the same fate. Are any of you even aware of this issue. What's the best way to prevent a major rustout from the inside. The guy said he was pulling a small utility trailer and all the sudden he heard a noise and the truck dropped down. It's bad enough he didn't think it was even repairable. He had the bed removed so I was able to get a good look at things.My jaw dropped when I saw the rusted out area (about a foot in length). These trucks are located in NW Ohio so we have normal salt on the roads in winter.

Any tips would be appreciated. I've heard Pro's and Con's about rustproofing..

Rick, 2008 Colorado

·
Premium Member
163 Posts
Unless you parked your truck inside its whole life, or you live somewhere there is no snow/salt, you will likely suffer the same fate as the rest of us at some point....

See Rotted Frame - Heads Up

Just wondering what everyone's doing about their frames rusting through. I had a friend send me a local picture of a Colorado broke in half and setting on the ground. Just last week I actually stopped and talked to a guy who had his 2004 Colorado break in half. Looking closely at his frame, it was completely rusted out just ahead of the rear spring mount. Now I'm worried that my "08 could be headed for the same fate. Are any of you even aware of this issue. What's the best way to prevent a major rustout from the inside. The guy said he was pulling a small utility trailer and all the sudden he heard a noise and the truck dropped down. It's bad enough he didn't think it was even repairable. He had the bed removed so I was able to get a good look at things.My jaw dropped when I saw the rusted out area (about a foot in length). These trucks are located in NW Ohio so we have normal salt on the roads in winter.

Rick, 2008 Colorado

·
Registered
386 Posts
Gotta have undercoating of some sort on them inside and out especially in snow/salt/brim environments. I have seen one Canyon and one Sierra with frame issues this year alone.

·
Registered
1,418 Posts
Rust? Only the snowbirds have that issue here

·
Registered
173 Posts
First I have heard of this issue. I keep the undercarriage clean as I can from salt in the winter months when it's warm enough to do a car wash with a good under body spray. In the spring I crawl on my belly like a reptile and spray it all off thoroughly. Not really seen any excess rusting in the frame . . . but I'm going to check it soon.

·
Registered
1,197 Posts
No rust here in southeast Georgia, by my truck is suffering from sunburn! Clearcoat starting to bubble up and chip off. Has anyone had any success with aftermarket kits where you scrape off the loose stuff an over spray? Yeah, I probably need to start a new post.

·
Premium Member
163 Posts
Problem with putting undercoating or oil inside the box frame is, unless you do this from day 1, all you are doing is putting oil over dirt and stuff that is already in there... The dirt is what holds the moisture against the frame and rusts it out from the inside.

·
Registered
12 Posts
My '04 frame rotted on the driver side. Fortunately I caught it when something could be done about it. I'm in NE Ohio and there is a welder here who specializes in frame repairs. He's done a number of Colorados. He suggested oiling the frame to promote longer life. I just chose to fix it then trade it in for a new truck. The handwriting was on the wall.

Attachments

·
Registered
134 Posts
I had some rot that was nowhere near that bad, but I went in and welded some plates in anyway, and I use "Fluid Film" inside and outside the frame to keep it from rusting internally further.

·
Registered
2 Posts
My '04 rotted out in the same exact spot at about 130,000 in Minnesota. Once I started poking at the rust, it all started falling away. I am just thankful that mine didn't break in half. There was not enough left to reinforce it like in the previous post. I bought a used frame that was in great condition and sandblasted and repainted it. I was just going to replace the rear 2/3 of the frame, but it was in bad enough shape everywhere that the shop couldn't find a good spot to splice it. They ended up just replacing the whole thing. In the end they only ended up billing me $2k.

Attachments

·
Registered
2 Posts

Rick, 2008 Colorado
Unfortunately all pickups are susceptible to frame rot. I've seen and experienced it with all of the big 3 including the midsize and mini's. The full size trucks usually get it between the cab and bed on the driver's side. If you live and drive in an area where salt is used the best recommendation i have is to pressure wash the best you can. A good primer and or undercoating sure couldn't hurt.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Problem with putting undercoating or oil inside the box frame is, unless you do this from day 1, all you are doing is putting oil over dirt and stuff that is already in there... The dirt is what holds the moisture against the frame and rusts it out from the inside.
This is why I use "Fluid Film". It's basically a cocktail of penetrating oil and hand lotion (lanolin) in an aerosol can (it's available up to 55gal drums as well). It doesn't ever dry, it just soaks and keeps creeping into rust and dirt, displacing air and water. Granted if its really thick dirt, its not going to soak all the way in, but that's a cleaning problem to take care of first. It needs to be periodically refreshed, and a little bit goes a long way.

I hesitate to use paint since I find it eventually chipping away with rust underneath. I use direct-to-metal (DTM) epoxy spray during body repair (I'm a hobbiest, not a pro), which is very good for general prep of panels and suspension parts, and generally cheap if you have the equipment already. Powder coating is another option if you want to spend that time and money. POR15 is great if you can properly clean and condition the rusty metal, but I don't recommend POR 15 on clean metal (POR = Paint On Rust) since it really doesn't adhere well - I've seen it peel off bare metal many times that was properly cleaned with the "metal clean" prep.

I'm also a fan of Rustoleum "Cold Galvanized" spray paint which is basically liquid zinc. I put this in all the inner door and fender cavities of my Corvair when I restored it. It also works pretty well as a weld-through primer (but you can't top-coat it), and you can buy it anywhere.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts