Chevrolet Colorado & GMC Canyon Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
That title may be a little misleading as I will be using this truck as a daily driver as well, but I need help in deciding what add-ons and dealer options I will need for my CO.

I know it will have the Z71 package, but what else do I need to get for my truck? My intended use are jeep and fireroads but no rock crawling as that's just way too hard on any daily driver.

Thanks for the help!

Blue

·
Registered
1,030 Posts
Lift kit
Skid plates
Off road tires

Hopefully the aftermarket is quick to respond with a nice lift kit.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
1,030 Posts
Maybe there will be more, but it is hard to pinpoint specific weaknesses on a truck that none of us have driven off road, or broken yet.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Maybe there will be more, but it is hard to pinpoint specific weaknesses on a truck that none of us have driven off road, or broken yet.
Yes, that's true. But I don't believe GM is coming out with anything new on these vehicles are they? The engine and suspension are all tried and proven in other vehicles so I would suspect we have learned what we need to know from those.

I'm sure the CO and Canyon is going to have some quirks as with all vehicles and they will reveal themselves over time I'm sure. Hopefully those will not be anything too major.

Blue

·
Registered
2,725 Posts
That title may be a little misleading as I will be using this truck as a daily driver as well, but I need help in deciding what add-ons and dealer options I will need for my CO.

I know it will have the Z71 package, but what else do I need to get for my truck? My intended use are jeep and fireroads but no rock crawling as that's just way too hard on any daily driver.

Thanks for the help!

Blue
ha a 2wd would be more then nuf for that

·
Registered
424 Posts
Depending on how hard it is driven daily, it may never make it off road. LOL......Let's see, where did I put that crystal ball that tells when something will break?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Depending on how hard it is driven daily, it may never make it off road. LOL......Let's see, where did I put that crystal ball that tells when something will break?
Wow, Chevys are that unreliable? Are you suggesting I should go with a Tacoma then? You know that is not the first or second time I have been told that. Sure makes me wonder about GM quality. Especially on a GM forum.

·
Registered
424 Posts
Wow, Chevys are that unreliable? Are you suggesting I should go with a Tacoma then? You know that is not the first or second time I have been told that. Sure makes me wonder about GM quality. Especially on a GM forum.
U read it all wrong. There r folks out there that can destroy a Sherman tank in an afternoon. None of the auto mfgs. have figured out how to smarten up/tighten up the thinking process of the loose nut behind the wheel. Have u ever seen a thread "I didn't know how deep the puddle/hole was"......well duh, if u didn't know, why did u drive off into it with your daily driver (present company excluded of course). I'm just sayin', use a little common sense with a daily driver....if u want it to be reliable on a daily basis, that is.

·
Registered
2,725 Posts
no he is talking about offroading and when not to fuck up ur rig

now then

look here u came on here asking about a truck that no one has but based on are trucks there just fine there are a few of us that do go and beat the hell out of are trucks im one of em my truck is a z85 4cyl and ill go were every one else goes no problem but thats also because i built my truck to take that are truck have 4l60e's been around for a long time we know the week links are trucks have been around since 04 the after market has made parts for are trucks that takes time

you will be getting a new truck and the only thing thats proven is the v6 and it will have limited support thanks too the camaro the trans will be unproven dont know if its the 6l90e yet so this is totaly byer be ware u will be a ginny pig its up to u or u can go and be like all the other tacoma cock suckers out there that still dont have a hilux

·
Premium Member
441 Posts
Back in 1993, I bought a new 1994 S10 4X3 V6 and I kept that running with few problems other than maintenance stuff to deal with. Always had full size Dodge & Ford trucks before that.
In 2003, I had 257K on the S10 and decided to go for one of the new Colorado's that was supposed to be out in Oct or Nov... and delayed to Dec or Jan of 04. So, early Jan 04, I parked the S10 in the driveway and got me a 2004 Z71 4X4. From what I found out later, it was one of the first sold in CT. It's now been 176K good miles later and that chance I took on the Colorado LS was considered a good choice.
If I was working and not retired, I'd probably consider one of the new Colorado trucks. Don't remember if the new V6 is a version of the 4.3 I had in the S10. If it is, I wouldn't hesitate to get is again. My old one never had even a drop of oil leak from it. Put a can of Slick 50 in it each yearly anniversary and mobil 1 every 4-5 K miles starting at the first oil change.

·
Registered
2,725 Posts
Back in 1993, I bought a new 1994 S10 4X3 V6 and I kept that running with few problems other than maintenance stuff to deal with. Always had full size Dodge & Ford trucks before that.
In 2003, I had 257K on the S10 and decided to go for one of the new Colorado's that was supposed to be out in Oct or Nov... and delayed to Dec or Jan of 04. So, early Jan 04, I parked the S10 in the driveway and got me a 2004 Z71 4X4. From what I found out later, it was one of the first sold in CT. It's now been 176K good miles later and that chance I took on the Colorado LS was considered a good choice.
If I was working and not retired, I'd probably consider one of the new Colorado trucks. Don't remember if the new V6 is a version of the 4.3 I had in the S10. If it is, I wouldn't hesitate to get is again. My old one never had even a drop of oil leak from it. Put a can of Slick 50 in it each yearly anniversary and mobil 1 every 4-5 K miles starting at the first oil change.

nope 3.6 there going for mpg not towing power

·
Premium Member
441 Posts
Oh yea, I remember that now.... also noticed I called my S10 a 4X3..... never could type worth a darn, and I made my living on these things.

·
Registered
424 Posts
......and I believe the new fangeled DOHC 3.6L is completely different from the old school pushrod 4.3L.

·
Steel Rivers Chapter
12,577 Posts
no he is talking about offroading and when not to fuck up ur rig

now then

look here u came on here asking about a truck that no one has but based on are trucks there just fine there are a few of us that do go and beat the hell out of are trucks im one of em my truck is a z85 4cyl and ill go were every one else goes no problem but thats also because i built my truck to take that are truck have 4l60e's been around for a long time we know the week links are trucks have been around since 04 the after market has made parts for are trucks that takes time

you will be getting a new truck and the only thing thats proven is the v6 and it will have limited support thanks too the camaro the trans will be unproven dont know if its the 6l90e yet so this is totaly byer be ware u will be a ginny pig its up to u or u can go and be like all the other tacoma cock suckers out there that still dont have a hilux
not sure if i'm smarter, or dumber after reading this

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
U read it all wrong. There r folks out there that can destroy a Sherman tank in an afternoon. None of the auto mfgs. have figured out how to smarten up/tighten up the thinking process of the loose nut behind the wheel. Have u ever seen a thread "I didn't know how deep the puddle/hole was"......well duh, if u didn't know, why did u drive off into it with your daily driver (present company excluded of course). I'm just sayin', use a little common sense with a daily driver....if u want it to be reliable on a daily basis, that is.
Thanks for clarifying that. You had me really worried about GM's quality.

Yea, I know some guys in my unit like that. They don't take care of their equipment at all and then wonder why they are always having problems with it. I don't get that at all. But then again, I was raised to take care of my stuff. My Dad made me realize early on that whatever we had, we needed to take care of it so that it would last because there was no way we could afford to replace it. You would be surprised how many summers of fun we got out of an old, used, and beat up Kawasaki 100 dirt bike.

So based on what we know so far about the CO and the history of its components, do you feel it would be a worthwhile investment?

Blue

1 - 20 of 29 Posts