Chevrolet Colorado & GMC Canyon Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
alright guys so ive been contemplating a full out build on the 2.8 just because i havent seen anyoone that has one. ive already seen where to get majority of the parts from
http://www.355nation.net/forum/forced-induction/61823-atlas-i4-i5-projects-boosted-hard-part-sources.html

now my question has anybody actually gone through with building the head? cams, os valves and springs to allow the engine to rev higher?

i saw where a guy had bought the pistons and rods and put them in his engine but never saw a final outcome of what kind of power he was putting down.

i realize a v8 swap would be cheaper and more than likely put down more power but thats not the route that i want.

any help, ideas, advice, links would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
831 Posts
Yeah, there's all sorts of dragsters that run the altas. Stock crank, forged rods and pistons. Hog out the ports, big cams. Spin to 8000.

This would be a terrible motor in a street truck.

·
Registered
641 Posts
I'm probably a little biased, but a 2.9l might be a better place to start for an all out build. They have bigger ports, bigger valves, and hotter cams. The 2007 2.9l is a direct replacement for a 2.8l. The 2008+ uses different sensors.

You might also be able to swap a 2.9 head onto a 2.8. I'm not sure about that though. The 2.9 pistons have valve reliefs and the 2.8s don't.

I have been wanting to build a 2.9 really bad. I'm just waiting for mine to blow up. So far no luck though. It just won't break!

·
Registered
831 Posts
Yeah, there's all sorts of dragsters that run the altas. Stock crank, forged rods and pistons. Hog out the ports, big cams. Spin to 8000.

This would be a terrible motor in a street truck.
A better option would be to beg LLV.MA5 to put together his $1000 turbo kit for the 4 cylinders. 350 RWHP, 29 MPG, 13 sec quarter mile times.

·
Registered
641 Posts
A better option would be to beg LLV.MA5 to put together his $1000 turbo kit for the 4 cylinders. 350 RWHP, 29 MPG, 13 sec quarter mile times.
I'm working on it! Can't wait to make them available. Everybody needs a 400hp 4 cylinder.

The OP might be getting a good deal on a used kit full of premium components though :naughty:

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
i dont see why this couldnt be a good street engine? maybe someone can let me in on things.
ive driven hondas that can turn 10000 rpms and still be streetable?
im coming from messing with hondas for the last few years and ive seen 1.8s make 600+ hp and still be daily driven, so why couldnt this be possible for our trucks?
of course a 600hp colorado wouldnt be as daily driveable as a stock one but with power comes sacrifice

·
Registered
641 Posts
The math says that 600hp on a 2.9 would require around 30psi boost (less with cams, ported heads, more rpm, etc). A turbo that could support 600hp on a 2.9 probably wouldn't create usable boost until 3500rpm or so. It just depends on your point of view as to whether or not that is streetable. With a manual transmission, you wouldn't have any problems at all. With an automatic, you'd need a high stall converter.

·
Registered
831 Posts
i dont see why this couldnt be a good street engine? maybe someone can let me in on things.
ive driven hondas that can turn 10000 rpms and still be streetable?
im coming from messing with hondas for the last few years and ive seen 1.8s make 600+ hp and still be daily driven, so why couldnt this be possible for our trucks?
of course a 600hp colorado wouldnt be as daily driveable as a stock one but with power comes sacrifice
Lol, is that a spin on spiderman? :)

If you're going naturally aspirated, you're gonna need some serious cams to make decent power. It'll kill the low end torque which is the opposite of what you want in a truck with weight approaching 2 tons and the aerodynamic properties of a barn door.
Also the big cams will necessitate a high idle, worsen fuel economy, and NVH.

^that would all be for an extreme setup. You could go with mild cams and not have much problem...you just wouldn't have a whole lot of power either.

That's why I say look into boost. Boost gives you torque across the rev range and would be a better match for a truck.

·
Registered
641 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
yeah hes taking his off and selling to make way to make an affordable kit for everyone that really wants boost.
but sorry guys i should have mentioned that this will be a boosted application.
but with me running the 2.8 i cant rev quite as high as his 2.9 which i didnt know was a drop in for the 05.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
maybe he is, maybe hes not ;)
but yeah he's definitely really knowledgable with these engines, and a good fabricator too!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts