Chevrolet Colorado & GMC Canyon Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i've been wanting to find out if any other owners have the same issue with a grinding noise when going over a speed hump. if feels like its coming from the driver side axle. i can feel vibrations coming from the driverside floor and i cringe everytime i hear that grinding noise. the truck came lifted about 2 1/2 inches when i bought it. my truck does have a lot of body roll so im thinking my shocks are not holding up the front end when it unloads coming off of a speed hump. anyone else has any opinions?

·
Premium Member
5,710 Posts
If it is a 4wd you may have a bad CV joint. Inspect the boot for tears. If there is a tear it may have throw the grease out and the joint is becoming dry, and is wearing.

The only reason I say that is because it may be articulating beyond the normal range and being amplified during that time.

If you are 4wd, it's recommended to lower the front differential after torsion bar lifting to reduce wear on the CV joints.

I know, that is a lot of 'if's'.....so I apologize if you are 2wd. In which case, I'm not helpful to you.

More background info will be helpful such as maintenance on your truck (history). What truck are you driving. How many miles. What type of lift was done. What size tires.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
If it is a 4wd you may have a bad CV joint. Inspect the boot for tears. If there is a tear it may have throw the grease out and the joint is becoming dry, and is wearing.

The only reason I say that is because it may be articulating beyond the normal range and being amplified during that time.

If you are 4wd, it's recommended to lower the front differential after torsion bar lifting to reduce wear on the CV joints.

I know, that is a lot of 'if's'.....so I apologize if you are 2wd. In which case, I'm not helpful to you.

More background info will be helpful such as maintenance on your truck (history). What truck are you driving. How many miles. What type of lift was done. What size tires.
its a 2008 z71 model on stock 15 inch rims and tire. i think the factory tire size for those rims are like 265/70? i inspected the cv boots and it doesnt look torn on either front end. i did a 1/2inch drop on the diff a couple weeks ago but since i bought the car used, i dont know what the previous owner's driving style was and if they wore out the cv joints. the car fax report didnt indicate any major repair, just the normal maintenance work. I did find a small tear on both steering rack boots. its leaking but nothing to panic at the moment. the lower ball joints seem to be working right at the moment. need new shocks maybe?

·
Registered
423 Posts
Could be tie rods or the steering rack. Lift up the front end off the ground and wiggle the tires. See if there's any play and where it's coming from.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Could be tie rods or the steering rack. Lift up the front end off the ground and wiggle the tires. See if there's any play and where it's coming from.
took a video of the outter tie rods. i was able to turn it on both front ends with moderate strength. is this considered too much play? i shook the tires and didnt hear any knocking. i was thinking just changing it out anyway since the truck is at 76000 miles and i got to replace the bellows boot on both ends.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-EkBna0gQpQ&list=UUy7aA1m96-BLDwnsy9h_cjQ&index=1

·
Registered
423 Posts
Take it to a shop that does a free alignment check. They should be able to diagnose it for you for free if you ask them to check your alignment. That's how I found out my inner tie rod is bad. Nothing serious so I'll get to it when I get to it.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Take it to a shop that does a free alignment check. They should be able to diagnose it for you for free if you ask them to check your alignment. That's how I found out my inner tie rod is bad. Nothing serious so I'll get to it when I get to it.
No shops around my neck of the woods that offer free alignment inspections. I'm ging to pop the outer tie rod loose this weekend and play around with it. Will post my findings

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Does it feel like you're fighting the steering wheel on the highway? Any abnormal tire wear?
Highway driving seems to be fine. We do have a lot of ruts on our roads up here in ak so the occasional pulling while driving is sometimes hard to diagnose without an alignment. Won't know for sure until this weekend when I break the tie rods loose from the knuckle to investigate the outer and inner tie rods for play. I do have a tear in both steering rack boots so hopefully my rack and pinion isn't busted.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
the bumping that is coming from underneath the driver side tends to happen when i go over speed hump or a small pot hole. I noticed that when i press the breaks when going over the speed bump it doesnt make that bump sound. so i've been doing alot of investigating the past few weeks and i happen to notice my caliper bracket being very loose on front driver side. i replaced the guide pins and lubed them up. the caliper bracket still has a slight wiggle but not nearly as before. i thought it had been a worn out guide pin but the truck still clunks over bumps. could that indicate a bad lower ball joint? i've done all the ball joint tests and nothing seems to show any signs of wear. its very hard to imitate the amount of force needed when the truck bounces down on those joints.

·
Premium Member
3,268 Posts
Have you checked to see if the tire is rubbing on something, like the fender well or something?

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Have you checked to see if the tire is rubbing on something, like the fender well or something?
definitely doesn't sound like tire rub. i may just start replacing parts starting with my lower ball joint and just work my way up until i replace the right part LOL

1 - 15 of 15 Posts