Chevrolet Colorado & GMC Canyon Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Ride, Boldly, Ride
553 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Pretty happy with how this one turned out. I saw a couple pictures on here and around the web of guys with LED bars in the space in the lower bumper fascia, and it got me thinking of installing one. A couple days ago I finished mounting a 21" light bar there, and after finishing up a road trip I can now say it's officially not coming off haha! Here's some pics:

I wired it up to a relay that ran to a rocker switch right next to the headlight switch. I had never wired a relay before, so I was intimidated, but it ended up ok. Personally I like the contrast of the red rocker switch with the blue LEDs I had soldered in previously, although the pictures I got of it on the cell don't do it justice.

For the bracket, I grabbed a bar of 1/8 inch steel and cut it down to size. Then I lined it up with the two posts in the fascia and attached it via four old bolts I had from a previous mod (I forget which one to be honest, but glad I hold on to all my bolts!) From there, I measured out where the bar was centered and drilled holes accordingly for the light bar to attach to. After bolting it on, I ran some adhesive along the top for a little insurance. Doesn't rattle at all (at least not loud enough to notice when driving).

All in all, this mod surpassed my expectations, and I'm really happy with how it turned out! Up next is to get some LED fog lights to match the bar, and then upgrade the headlights to HIDs. What do ya'll think?

·
Premium Member
2,498 Posts
FYI -- just keep an eye on temps mid-summer where you are. On stock trucks that area serves as a 'scoop/deflector' to direct air around the radiator. I haven't heard of anyone having issues with trucks overheating by blocking the 'scoop', but just figured I'd give you a heads up.

·
Ride, Boldly, Ride
553 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks, good looking out. I thought I had read about that somewhere, not sure where now. I have the supermod efan, I'm hoping that will help combat any increase in temperatures. Either way, good info, I appreciate the heads up.

·
Premium Member
86 Posts
Hey man how did you mount the light bar to the piece of bar? what kind of brackets did you use?

·
Registered
1,238 Posts
Very nice and definitely brightened things up!

·
Legen..wait4it..Dary!
806 Posts
Link to lightbar? Im doing this. Thank you Sir for posting.

·
US Army 19yrs and ......
45,284 Posts
I like pictures

·
Ride, Boldly, Ride
553 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Gaaah sorry for bringing an old thread back to life. Was looking for a pic and saw that there were a few questions in this I never answered. Debating on ignoring it, but then felt guilty and figured at least future searches can at least be updated if I answer them. So sorry for the annoyance of reading an old post, but at least, hopefully this helps someone in the future.

Hey man how did you mount the light bar to the piece of bar? what kind of brackets did you use?
Idk if you can tell from the 4th pic, the one of the steel bar, but there are lines drawn on the ends of each side of the bar. I had measured these from the center of the bar, then drilled a hole on each of these lines. From there, I just bolted the light bar mounts that came with the bar (just connected with supplied nuts and bolts). After the install I added some quicksteel to the bottom of the mounts and covered the whole bar with herculiner. The bar still can be unbolted from the top part of the mount, if that makes sense (wish I had pics to explain if it isn't).

What kind of light bar is it? I'd like to do this, but I'd rather not spend $250+ for a light bar
Link to lightbar? Im doing this. Thank you Sir for posting.
Went back and found where I got it, but the link is dead. This is apparently a 24" light bar, not a 21" according to the description. I'll have to measure when I get back stateside. This was a cheapo sold from the seller " xpressservices" on ebay for $162. Looks like he sells a ton of light bars still, and from my experience (for what it's worth), I've had no complaints. I had the same plan of going relatively cheap, and it ended up better than expected. Dunno what budget anyone has for these but I feel like mine was on the cheap end of the spectrum. :shrug:

boldly i have a question and hoping you can help. If i get this LED (my first LED bar so i want to go cheap before i buy a nice one) http://pages.ebay.com/link/?nav=item...obalID=EBAY-US Can i adjust the mounts and mount my bar to where the 4 bolts are on your mount??
It appears from the picture that those bottom mounts are adjustable, so I would guess that those bolts shown could adjust so that they are perpendicular to where my 4 bolts for the mounts are. Additionally, in the lower description, it appears that the mounts can be moved from side to side. Personally, for the price, I say go for it! Granted, this is many months later, so hopefully you found what you were looking for.

Hope this helps with searches everybody.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts