Chevrolet Colorado & GMC Canyon Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I checked my zq8 bumpsteer before.
It’s terrible ,everyone’s is. It’s built in to the truck. Much engineering went in to making the toe setting toe-IN. This is safe to prevent the rear from spinning out. It’s a big part of why the front washes out in a corner. Why you have to keep turning the steering wheel in a hard corner.
I recently widened my front track by 1”. It handles better. I thought I’d recheck bumpsteer. Unfortunately it’s still the same.
The numbers: 1/8” toe in per wheel per 1” of travel.
So on the average 3” of compression the combined toe-in is 3/4”!!
Crazy scrub.
What to do to fix...
0B26E9BD-272B-4864-863B-B8D59E670E81.jpeg

·
Registered
1,322 Posts
Pretty simple fix. Put one of those plates on both front discs. Measure the distance between the the left and right side in the front and then in the back. Loosen the jamb nut on the tie rods and adjust the tie rods until the distance in the front of the wheel is the same as the distance in the back of the wheel. Toe in = 0. I have no idea what "bumpsteer" is, and I don't understand most of your post, but I do know that in the 70's when I worked at a service station, whenever we replaced a front end component, when we put everything back together, we did a very basic alignment and we gave the vehicle a bit of toe in. It was based on the assumption that there was some wear in some of the components of the front end, and as the vehicle began moving forward, the resistance would cause the toe in to become minimil, or go away completely. I've always done my own "red neck" alignments whenever I work on my front end and if you want the toe in to be zero, you do it yourself. The inner tie rod end will spin freely in the steering rack. Loosen the jamb nut and use channel lock pliers on the splines and adjust the same on either side to keep the steering wheel straight. Not a difficult fix. You've got all the fancy equipment. You are aware of and understand the problem. Fix it. Not a difficult task. You could have fixed it in the time you took to type this post.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts