Chevrolet Colorado & GMC Canyon Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
my work van is in the shop and for the past 2 weeks ive had to use my truck for work daily and do about 60 miles a day. before that i never really drove it consistently. ive had it since 60k miles it now had 109k. always done oil changes every 5k miles with synthetic along with other regular maintenance.

i checked the oil before i started using it again. it was on the low mark so i added some so it was about middle of the dipstick. 2 weeks have gone by and 500 ish miles and its back to the low mark. i want to say it burned about a half quart. i park it on my driveway and no oil spots. checked the engine pretty good no grease or oil buildup at all on the engine. only a bit above the transmission pan and at the bottom back of the bellhousing that connects to the transmission. i would be thinking rear main seal but theres nothing by the rubber port and its evenly around the entire transmission pan. weird cause transmission fluid is perfect. def a decent layer of soot on the tail pipe tip. no check engine lights and honestly never have had one knock on wood.

i have to point out prior to starting using it again it did sit unused and not started for at least 3 months. before i noticed this problem i ordered spark plugs and was planning on changing all the fluids. but this weekend im going to be changing the spark plugs and im also going to clean the throttle body and maf. is there anything i can check or do to help? im thinking ill do a compression test while i do the plugs to see where that is at

any info would be appreciated thanks

·
Registered
1,328 Posts
I'd run it a thousand miles or so and see if it gets below the half quart low mark. I had a '69 Chevelle that always leaked down to almost a quart low, but never got any lower.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
thanks for the replies
Correct me if I’m wrong but I can put sea foam into a vacuum line and that should clean the pcv system? Any other ways?

I been doing some reading and see that there’s a baffle in the valve cover with a tiny oil drain hole that gets clogged easily. Might attempt that. I think first I’ll def do compression test and seafoam it. Always intended on doing seafoam but never got around to it. Def time

·
Registered
2 Posts
Since it sat for 3 months, I'd guess that every bit of oil had made its way out of the engine into the pan. When you started running it, that half quart is probably just dispersed into other parts of the engine. Like others have said, I'd just keep an eye on the levels after driving more and see if it continues to drop and go from there.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts