Chevrolet Colorado & GMC Canyon Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
9,094 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've decided it's time to step it up and install a c-notch in my truck, the small bolt in type although I'd be welding it in. I just don't know what type to get or where to get it? I've seen install pics of the round, half-circle style one from Suicidedoors.com. Are those a pretty good notch? Or should I look for a traditional style bolt in notch? Is one better than the other? Where else can I find notches?

Thanks guys!

·
Registered
7,668 Posts
I've decided it's time to step it up and install a c-notch in my truck, the small bolt in type although I'd be welding it in. I just don't know what type to get or where to get it? I've seen install pics of the round, half-circle style one from Suicidedoors.com. Are those a pretty good notch? Or should I look for a traditional style bolt in notch? Is one better than the other? Where else can I find notches?

Thanks guys!
you could go get some 5" pipe that has at least a 3/16" wall and cut it in half and use that to do a notch. QUESTION: are you going to be 'bagging your truck ever? you might want to think about waiting to do a notch depending on your answer.

you're welcome

·
Registered
9,094 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Naw, no bagging. Maybe in years but no time soon. Where would I find something along those lines?

·
Registered
7,668 Posts
Naw, no bagging. Maybe in years but no time soon. Where would I find something along those lines?
some companies use pipe like that for plumbing. usually high pressure shit, like steam pipes. some places you could find pipe like that would be on the highway, the poles that hold up the lights. you might be able to find that stuff at your local hardware store. i think i have some of the pipe you need laying around my shop on the ship. let me check for you tomorrow. if i do, i'll cut it for you and PM you for your addy so i can send it out to you. but that's only if i have it.

·
Registered
4,682 Posts
Just a side thing, doesn't notching automatically give the truck a salvage title? That's what I've heard because the frame has been altered and I guess I'd only matter to someone who's looking to sell the truck later on and for the buying party.

·
Registered
7,668 Posts
Just a side thing, doesn't notching automatically give the truck a salvage title? That's what I've heard because the frame has been altered and I guess I'd only matter to someone who's looking to sell the truck later on and for the buying party.
maybe in your state, but here, in VA, the only thing that will do that would be an actual crack in the frame, not a notch of any sort.

·
Premium Member
21,130 Posts
i've never heard that but again might depend on where you live

people modify frames all the time look at the msuclecar/hotrod/pro touring guys they goes nuts (not as bad as the mini-truck guys but still)

·
Registered
7,668 Posts
i've never heard that but again might depend on where you live

people modify frames all the time look at the msuclecar/hotrod/pro touring guys they goes nuts (not as bad as the mini-truck guys but still)
no one is as bad as us. not even the ricers.

·
Registered
7,668 Posts
:high5:

Josue, another idea, here's what I did with mine.

Just some 1/4" mild steel I had the shop I bought the steel cut down for me.

who did the welding for you? it looks a little, ehh, patchy??? hey how tall did you say the frame is at that point? and what is the diameter of the axle, 3"?

·
Registered
4,682 Posts
who did the welding for you? it looks a little, ehh, patchy??? hey how tall did you say the frame is at that point? and what is the diameter of the axle, 3"?
One of the guys on the board did the welding.

And I agree, the welds don't look good and it's a little patchy, but I think he got pretty good penetration and it gets the job done. lol.

I just wanna bag it................................

·
Registered
7,668 Posts
One of the guys on the board did the welding.

And I agree, the welds don't look good and it's a little patchy, but I think he got pretty good penetration and it gets the job done. lol.

I just wanna bag it................................
as long as it isn't undercut like a bitch and the surrounding metal turns blueish-orange then it should be fine. just make sure that when you go to 'bag it that you have a good welder do the job. don't need a weld in C notch cracking on you.

·
Registered
9,094 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Thanks for all the tips guys. So the question is......do I buy a premade one, or custom fab one? Or is that just up to me? And is notching the bottom of the bed like that necessary? Or just precautionary?

·
Registered
4,682 Posts
as long as it isn't undercut like a bitch and the surrounding metal turns blueish-orange then it should be fine. just make sure that when you go to 'bag it that you have a good welder do the job. don't need a weld in C notch cracking on you.
No, we definitely didn't have any discoloration.

But when it gets bagged, I'm having a shop do the work. I'm not gonna fuck with it. lol.

And about the measurements, from what I remember and my memory is complete shit, from top to the bottom, I think it was 4.25" tall and 2-something" wide.

And yes, I notched my bed brace as well.

·
Registered
9,094 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Also- when hacking a chunk out of your frame like that, will that make the frame weak enough so you have to support the very back of the frame so it doesn't bend down?

·
Registered
8,881 Posts
1 - 20 of 30 Posts