Chevrolet Colorado & GMC Canyon Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
470 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I want to purchase a camera and start a hobby, I want a cheap camera to start but one that I can change lenses and take really good pics with. Main goal is to take better resolution pics of the vehicles. Any help is appreciated. Thank you

·
Premium Member
5,710 Posts
Are you looking for point and shoot options that fit in a pocket conveniently, or a slightly larger camera that is a 'super zoom' or a DSLR?

That will be helpful for somebody to point you in the right directions.

·
Registered
470 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Are you looking for point and shoot options that fit in a pocket conveniently, or a slightly larger camera that is a 'super zoom' or a DSLR?

That will be helpful for somebody to point you in the right directions.
Slightly larger, I want to be able to take high quality shots of vehicles and also when I'm out and about. I know nothing about cameras. I don't want a little digital I know I want better quality

·
Premium Member
5,710 Posts
I would probably suggest shopping the retail stores first. See what feels good in your hand and at the price point you are comfortable with. A super zoom is a newer term that discusses the cameras with like 12x optical zoom and 4 or 5x digital zoom.

Optical zoom is the lens, and best quality. Digital zoom is the same as you zooming in on your computer-it pixalates and drops quality. I have a Canon P&S 12x Optical and 4 Digital I believe. It's 18mp quality. Large dimension images capable of large blownup shots. I also have a DSLR.
My suggestion is to stay away from the high digital zoom cameras. Like 3x optical and 10x digital (as example numbers). All you are doing is barely zooming in, then digitally zooming the capture shot which is reduced quality.

The P&S fits in the pack pocket of a pair of jeans as long a the pockets aren't too small. But it takes great photos. I paid about $200 I think.

So start out in your retail stores to see what looks good to you, feels good in your hand and has features you think you want with a price you are comfortable paying. Any name brand camera will take great shots. The rest is about the features.

Obviously a DSLR starts out at a few hundred bucks. Then if you want you'll be purchasing lenses to compliment your shooting style.

·
Registered
470 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I would probably suggest shopping the retail stores first. See what feels good in your hand and at the price point you are comfortable with. A super zoom is a newer term that discusses the cameras with like 12x optical zoom and 4 or 5x digital zoom.

Optical zoom is the lens, and best quality. Digital zoom is the same as you zooming in on your computer-it pixalates and drops quality. I have a Canon P&S 12x Optical and 4 Digital I believe. It's 18mp quality. Large dimension images capable of large blownup shots. I also have a DSLR.
My suggestion is to stay away from the high digital zoom cameras. Like 3x optical and 10x digital (as example numbers). All you are doing is barely zooming in, then digitally zooming the capture shot which is reduced quality.

The P&S fits in the pack pocket of a pair of jeans as long a the pockets aren't too small. But it takes great photos. I paid about $200 I think.

So start out in your retail stores to see what looks good to you, feels good in your hand and has features you think you want with a price you are comfortable paying. Any name brand camera will take great shots. The rest is about the features.

Obviously a DSLR starts out at a few hundred bucks. Then if you want you'll be purchasing lenses to compliment your shooting style.
So go to like best buy and start looking at the optical zooms and see what feels good, thank you for shedding light on this

·
Premium Member
5,710 Posts
It's a place to start. The more you start shopping around the more some of the terminology will make sense too. And you'll get a grasp for what features are available.

I haven't shopped for a P&S in almost 2 years but it seems most of them are offering optical zooms that are pretty good.

Check out the internet for reviews on the product you have interest in too to see what others are saying.
And of course, if you don't know what something means you can come back to ask opinions or for explanations. There are a few really good camera guys on here that probably know it all.

·
CHEEZEDOODLE
29,666 Posts
Yeah, all thats well and good. Tip top info and much better than what i threw out there.

But

Go find a d3100, pay for it and enjoy all its awesomeness. Imo, its the best bang for your buck dslr for people that arent trying to make money with the hobby. Even comes with a perfect middle ground lense. Very comfortable in the hand and pretty tough too.

Just trying to give an opinion to point him in a specific direction per his request.

·
Registered
470 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yeah, all thats well and good. Tip top info and much better than what i threw out there.

But

Go find a d3100, pay for it and enjoy all its awesomeness. Imo, its the best bang for your buck dslr for people that arent trying to make money with the hobby. Even comes with a perfect middle ground lense. Very comfortable in the hand and pretty tough too.

Just trying to give an opinion to point him in a specific direction per his request.
So dslr is not as good?

·
Premium Member
5,710 Posts
Image quality can be similar. The DSLR has a larger sensor than a P&S does. A DSLR allows more creativity when you learn how to use the manual settings.

Using the phrase 'not as good' isn't really being very fair. It depends on what you need it for. If you want a camera to put in your pocket then no a DSLR isn't as good (because they don't fit in a pocket). haha If you want expandability in the future with various lenses then it's probably a better fit (interchangeable lenses).

My DSLR takes some pretty amazing photos. But it's limited in creativity such as depth of field and things like that.

If you have the money and are okay with carrying around a larger camera then go for it. I've had my DSLR for almost exactly one year. I don't know if I have used my P&S since. I don't take very many snap shots though. I've planned my photo outings so I had the camera gear with me on purpose when I went shooting. I don't just grab it and toss it in the truck at random 'just in case'. Not me anyway. You can.

If you think you'll enjoy the hobby of photography then planning for the future with an expandable camera could be a better option for you. You'll get a better idea when you start shopping around I think.

Embrace the camera shopping journey....it can be fun. If you have an actual camera store in town you could step in there one day to talk to the sales folks to get their opinions after explaining what you are trying to achieve with your purchase as well.

On a side note, if you do lean towards a DSLR I'd suggest a beginner class after your purchase. Some shops offer a free class with a purchase. So look into that too. Best Buy doesn't have a camera class but your local camera supply store may. An actual camera shop can give you the one-on-on time in a class to help you understand what your new toy is capable of.

·
CHEEZEDOODLE
29,666 Posts
And to adress, the portability issue, i agree and i got a pelican case to make the camera more "grab and go."

Flat black so its not something people break into your truck for.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts