Chevrolet Colorado & GMC Canyon Forum banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
845 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I'm just curious to know if I could boost about 7-8 lbs. w/ just a tune and stock injectors? What if I just boost 6 lbs.?

·
Registered
296 Posts
I highly doubt you could without doing major damage. The RKSport kit is pushing like 4psi I think without a tune and some people were doing damage with just that. Suppossedly stocker was running 6psi and lost compression after a few months, WITH A TUNE. I am running 7psi with a tune (since July) and haven't had any problems yet.

·
Registered
1,433 Posts
I highly doubt you could without doing major damage. The RKSport kit is pushing like 4psi I think without a tune and some people were doing damage with just that. Suppossedly stocker was running 6psi and lost compression after a few months, WITH A TUNE. I am running 7psi with a tune (since July) and haven't had any problems yet.
so could you reveal to us what makes you so special that you can run 7 psi while others cant even run 4?

·
Premium Member
3,764 Posts
A tune with wideband will tell you what you can push. When you start to lean or get detonation thats when your gunna run into problems. It all really depends on how much more fuel you can get outta the stock injectors.

·
Registered
2,931 Posts
Justin have you ever posted up dyno numbers from your truck? I can't seem to remember if i've seen them. I know your supercharged with a tune i'd like to see your numbers and A/F ratios because so far your the only person I know of that is setup this way and is a daily driver.

I still don't know about Stocker... i still don't beleive he lost compression. Somethings not right about that whole scenerio but whatever its his truck and he upgraded to a 3.7 anyway so it wasn't a complete waste of money.

·
Registered
202 Posts
Justin I don't think you have your #'s right. I know you must have a super tune from that dipfuck of guy who did the install. Lets see your stats man!:wavey:

·
Registered
296 Posts
so could you reveal to us what makes you so special that you can run 7 psi while others cant even run 4?
Lol. I have W2W's tune with a few MINOR tweaks from Stocker. I thought everyone knew I had their tune but I guess that isn't common knowledge, or at least not as common as I thought.

EDIT: I actually did mention I had a tune, you should work on your reading comprehension.:deal: lol.

Justin have you ever posted up dyno numbers from your truck? I can't seem to remember if i've seen them. I know your supercharged with a tune i'd like to see your numbers and A/F ratios because so far your the only person I know of that is setup this way and is a daily driver.

I still don't know about Stocker... i still don't beleive he lost compression. Somethings not right about that whole scenerio but whatever its his truck and he upgraded to a 3.7 anyway so it wasn't a complete waste of money.
I don't believe Stocker lost compression either but he does have times recorded through HPTuners that he published that suggest he lost power. :shrug:

Justin I don't think you have your #'s right. I know you must have a super tune from that dipfuck of guy who did the install. Lets see your stats man!:wavey:
To Bizzy too:
I haven't posted dyno numbers and I don't really plan to. Right now I just don't feel the need to hop on a dyno. It isn't really that fun and is just to prove I have "bigger balls" than everyone (something I don't feel a particular need to do, but maybe someday haha). I do plan on running on the track though and as soon as I have numbers from that you guys will get the chance to see them. School has kept me pretty busy though.

I have to say though that XHR was great to work with over the summer. I can't vouch for how dealing with him is now though considering his circumstances. That said, if you have a problem with him I suggest you take it up with him.

If you guys want more information there is a great thread on cfans to check out. There is also a thread here but since people didn't seem as interested here I responded in the other thread more. If you guys have specific questions after reading the threads, hit me up.

EDIT: Med, did you buy the kit from XHR?

·
[MTS] Who is this guy?
3,779 Posts
LOL.... Spend 6k and not even a dyno with Air fuel readings?

You are just too advanced for life.. We all need to quit now.
this coming from CO4? wow... lol or am i just taking this all wrong?

one thing i will say is Justin is running different injectors (last i asked) and you dont have to have a dyno to tune.. you can street tune as well

·
Registered
296 Posts
LOL.... Spend 6k and not even a dyno with Air fuel readings?

You are just too advanced for life.. We all need to quit now.
Actually I do want the a/f readings. I just don't feel the need to get on a dyno to do it. I only know one person that can wideband and tune a 355. That is/was Stocker. I met with him to get this all done when he was in Houston this summer. He did not have enough time to do it while he was there. If you know anyone in CO who can do it, then yeah I will jump on it, but I don't. The only other shop I knew was Dashworks but I think they are closed down now. Even if I wanted to jump on the dyno, I don't know anyone here who can tune a boosted 355 so it is pretty much just an exercise in showing how big my balls are as I stated earlier.

BTW my truck is running fine. I am at about 4-5k miles on it too.

Still feel free to quit though.

EDIT:

one thing i will say is Justin is running different injectors (last i asked) and you dont have to have a dyno to tune.. you can street tune as well
Exactly.

Although Stocker was running the same injectors also and says that he had worse performance with the W2W injectors than he did with stock. I personally don't really believe that. Everyone who has boosted the 355 has changed the injectors. Dashworks was even running 60s. W2Ws are 45s.

·
Registered
202 Posts
Justin I did buy from that douchebag xhr. The reason I asked about the #'s are
they are not the same as what RK Sport says when I have talked to them.
I don't know what stocker was bitching about I can't see it run worse with the new injectors. I think he had a wee bit too much boost and just toasted a ring. But we will never know.lol
MD

·
Premium Member
3,849 Posts
Actually I do want the a/f readings. I just don't feel the need to get on a dyno to do it. I only know one person that can wideband and tune a 355. That is/was Stocker. I met with him to get this all done when he was in Houston this summer. He did not have enough time to do it while he was there. If you know anyone in CO who can do it, then yeah
AFR readings should have been part of the install but anyways... Each his own.
A dyno is more than just to feed an ego but anyways... Each his own.
There are probably more shops nearby to you unless you live hours away from civilization but anyways... Each his own.

:ugh:

·
Premium Member
3,849 Posts

I guess I was not very specific but I would do both, if you want my opinion. Dyno and street tune for this particular application (S/C)... For various reasons. It is a huge investment, I would respect it as such.

You can street tune? Really? Good to know. hehehehhehehe. :D :naughty: :D

·
Registered
296 Posts
AFR readings should have been part of the install but anyways... Each his own.
A dyno is more than just to feed an ego but anyways... Each his own.
There are probably more shops nearby to you unless you live hours away from civilization but anyways... Each his own.

:ugh:
I guess I was not very specific but I would do both, if you want my opinion. Dyno and street tune for this particular application (S/C)... For various reasons. It is a huge investment, I would respect it as such.

You can street tune? Really? Good to know. hehehehhehehe. :D :naughty: :D
The tune was from W2W. Why would I get afr readings from the installer? As for getting afr readings afterwards, see above.

A dyno just tells you the output of the engine when you don't get the tune. Why do I NEED to know that? Enlighten me please.

As for shops that can tune a boosted 355 near me (read as obtain afr ratios on/off dyno, and change to fix if an issue is found)... There were two. Dashworks and ColoradoSportTruck. Dashworks is now defunct (I know this from personal experience with them) and ColoradoSportTruck is not interested in working on the 355 anymore, at all as far as I can tell. I have tried to contact them numerous times without a decent response.

Now I am right in the middle of civilization and have numerous contacts in the performance modification scene in CO (my dad and two of my uncles have drag raced since before I was alive, my uncle even owned a performance modification shop, which I worked in, until it burned down and he left the business and started a new one). I know the performance scene around here and there just isn't any options that I have found for what I am looking for and what you are suggesting.

Now you seem to be knowledgeable on the subject. Would you be willing to fly out here and offer afr readings and a tune? I have doubts but I would be willing to let you try. You and Stocker are the only people I know that can really tune these trucks with positive results. You, from what I understand, have no experience with boosted applications though.

I have reasons for everything I have done and have taken every step to make sure my investment works out. Otherwise thanks for your concern and opinion.:355:

It is easy to say you should have done this and you should have done that from the outside looking in but honestly you have no idea how much time and money I have put into this project. I have even spent hours helping others work on similar projects from what knowledge I have obtained. S/C'ing was the goal from the day I bought my truck and I have spent all of that time (2+yrs) obtaining info, saving, and working on this project.

Justin I did buy from that douchebag xhr. The reason I asked about the #'s are
they are not the same as what RK Sport says when I have talked to them.
I don't know what stocker was bitching about I can't see it run worse with the new injectors. I think he had a wee bit too much boost and just toasted a ring. But we will never know.lol
MD
I think that at one point they tried a different pulley for 6psi but what you have is the 4psi pulley which is what XHR was running when he broke his rear end. Therefore your boost should be at what RK says and is designed for.

If you ask XHR about what happened to Stocker it is because he leaned out the top end trying to counteract some problem they were having. I am not sure I remember the exact reason but XHR was confident that the problem for Stocker was that he had the top end running too lean.

At this point I am trusting W2W's tune until I am SURE someone can offer a better tune. I thought Stocker could with the wide band but he didn't. I move to Houston next summer though and then I will be able to find out for sure what is up because Stocker is supposedly moving back there. Until then or I find a better option I am kind of up in the air about what to do.

I apologize for the essay here but there was a lot to be said.

·
Registered
202 Posts
Dude I don't have a pulley with what xhr sent. It was fucking bent in the box. As well as alot of other shit.

·
Premium Member
3,849 Posts
Good lord... Do what ever you want to your truck.. Do I need to apologize for my opinion? That is what I would do to my truck, if I ever bumped my head hard enough to consider supercharging it. :shrug: ha ha, joke joke... Lighten up Francis. :D

·
Registered
296 Posts
Dude I don't have a pulley with what xhr sent. It was fucking bent in the box. As well as alot of other shit.
Oh, wow. I think I'd probably be pissed too.

Can you pm me some pics of what you do have. I already heard they didn't include the tune in the deal.

If I can help you some way let me know.

Good lord... Do what ever you want to your truck.. Do I need to apologize for my opinion? That is what I would do to my truck, if I ever bumped my head hard enough to consider supercharging it. :shrug: ha ha, joke joke... Lighten up Francis. :D
No you don't need to apologize but an explanation would be good.

·
Premium Member
3,849 Posts
What I would do is a moot point right now. I will never end up supercharging my truck. I do not feel like writing a novel, either.

If I were you (happy with what you have so far), I would just verify the fueling is correct, at the bare min. Knock, timing, etc.. Get an eye in the PCM.

Then possibly get whom ever local to you to custom tune the whole thing, if that interests you. Maybe the FMU is right on and delivering full output. You will never know with the anti dyno stance. So, with that said, a full tune is probably useless also since you would never know what gains you achieved for sure.

In retrospect, to your particular goals, you are basically there already, minus verifying it is dialed in as close as it can be at a verified safe level.

·
Registered
1,091 Posts
I would atleast upgrade all your fuel system atleast the fuel pump and the injectors. Also make sure you get your truck wide band to see if your running lean and stuff like that make sure your tuner know's what he is doing. No offense intended.

·
Registered
2,435 Posts
justin, i think everybody is coming down on you so hard because you say act as though you are the only one that can keep a boosted 355 together.

in my opinion, 4k miles doesnt mean jack. my previous vehicle was a s/c'ed frontier running 13psi, non-intercooled, and i live in SC, 90+ degrees and almost promise upper 90s on the humidity. not a single problem. what im saying is the OWNER of the vehicle has nothing to do with how long it stays together (unless they are just pussyfooting and never even get into boost). parts do have a limit at some point, and i can ASSURE YOU 10psi isnt the limit of ANY of the parts in the I5 as long as the tune is correct. hell half the tuners on here have problems working the bugs out of a "basic" tune, i surely would not let anybody touch mine without a wideband.

basically, i wouldnt boast about not blowing up after only 4k miles.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts