Chevrolet Colorado & GMC Canyon Forum banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Been doing a lot of dreaming lately. Is it possible with a v8 swap in a 4x4 to also swap to the 6l80E? Has it ever been done, can it be done considering the stock t-case setup? have been searching this site a lot, i know a 6l80e has been put in these trucks behind different v8's but never found anything on the 6l80E on a 4x4.

·
Registered
2,710 Posts
Should work I think big thing is it will only work if the truck is an 08 and newer

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Is it a difference in the wiring harness on the 08 and newer?

·
Premium Member
9,763 Posts
Yes to wiring and Tcase won't bolt up at all. Need new front and rear driveshafts. Not worth the 6l90e hassle cause its a long pig.

·
NW Surfrider
5,351 Posts
Truthfully...I would skip the 4l80, and just get the 4l60 built up. The real advantage would be the 6l90 as it's a 6 speed. But thats a wholenother ball game.

·
NW Surfrider
5,351 Posts
I just re-read it. He put 6l80, I read 4l80. But yeah...it will still have the same issues of being too long.

·
Premium Member
9,763 Posts
Won't be running a stock tcase then :shrug: not a lot of offroad support for the 6l80e for adapting tcases.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for the info, I had an idea after lookin under the truck that the t-case would be specific to the 4l60 but thought i'd ask people who are more knowledgeable than myself to make sure :) the 4l60 can still be modified to handle more power though yes?

·
Boosted V8
1,441 Posts
absolutely it can....but what are your plans for the motor? unless your going forced induction the 4l60e will handle almost everything you throw at it.

·
Boosted V8
1,441 Posts
W/ a stock v8 that 4l60 will handle almost anything you throw at it. Unless he plans on neutral dropping everyday. I dunno about the 4x4. But i have almost double the power as my stock v8 with no torque management and my trans is doing great.

·
Registered
244 Posts
Should be doable. The TBSS guys are starting to do the 6L80E more and more. Before buying my truck I was researching swapping in a T56, but while searching came across a lot of info on the six speed auto swaps. I emailed back and forth with a guy out of Arizona who has specialized in these TBSS swaps. He seemed to think the Colorado swap would be straight forward.

I don't have the link handy, but he has done TBSSs, and a Jeep Wrangler with a 6.2 L92 and six speed auto (4x4).

Get a whole wrecked Silverado and go to town!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I have heard that the 4l60 can be modded to handle a decent amount of power. I'd love to have more power than the i5 and, myself like many others had considered going turbo but after research i don't think building a boosted i5 would really be worth it. My dream is building a 4.8L to handle a magnacharger s/c. I think that would be a badass setup in a 4x4 with 4.10s & 32s or 33s. plus I'd like to have some towing power and not sacrifice too much efficiency.

·
Premium Member
9,763 Posts
Just because you have more power doesn't mean you can tow more. If you can't stop it there is no point.

1 - 20 of 47 Posts