Chevrolet Colorado & GMC Canyon Forum banner

21 - 40 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Just because you have more power doesn't mean you can tow more. If you can't stop it there is no point.
It's more fun to let them find out on their own when they get pushed through an intersection by the trailer. :lol:

·
Hybrid
5,842 Posts
Eh...that's what Trailer Brakes are for. :shrug:

·
Hybrid
5,842 Posts
:lol:

·
Registered
13 Posts
It can be done. We helped a shop out in Tx do a V8 6L80 swap in an '05 Colorado 4x4 earlier this year. You lose your transfer case (it's too small and weak anyhow) and use another heavier duty GM transfer case. We just had to redesign our original adapter to reclock it to the GMT355 front shaft position. Everything else is pretty much the same as any 4x4 transmission swap.

·
Premium Member
2,496 Posts
I'm thinking within the next year I'm going to give this a go. I should have posted my questions over the weekend in this thread, but more or less, it'd be an interesting swap.

TBM, I emailed you over the weekend about putting the 6L80e behind the stock LH9. I'll be in touch again.

·
Premium Member
2,496 Posts
After talking further with TBM, I'm pretty darn close to doing this swap. I still need to price out driveshafts & talk to a buddy about getting his assistance for welding, but I think I may give this a shot. However, with winter approaching, I may wait until the spring (but starting purchasing material sooner). Once I do a little more research, I'll post about what my plans are, estimated costs, etc.. so that anyone else debating this mod can think about it.

Also, a shot out to TBM for answering my plethora of questions!:thumbup2:

·
Premium Member
9,763 Posts
If you are doing a sas it isn't a problem cause you can use whatever drop case and just get a axle that drops the same side.

·
Registered
360 Posts
Really excited to see TBMS posting on here after talking to them by email a couple of months ago. I will be doing a 6l80 swap and then a turbo next year. Im excited to see what kind of efficient performance I can make.

·
Registered
'05 crew cab Canyon, swapping to 6.0 L96Vortex
29 Posts
Yes to wiring and Tcase won't bolt up at all. Need new front and rear driveshafts. Not worth the 6l90e hassle cause its a long pig.
I bought a wrecked truck with a 6.0L engine and 4wd. It had a 6l90e transmission with transfer case. First off, the transfer case on the doner truck had the front differential on the driver's side, while my Canyon had it on the passenger side. I never got to the question if there was even room for a bigger tranny and T-case in the Canyon. So I saved myself a lot of work by sticking to the 4l60e and T-case. And I am going with the CCP wiring harness.

Geoff

·
Registered
'05 crew cab Canyon, swapping to 6.0 L96Vortex
29 Posts
It can be done. We helped a shop out in Tx do a V8 6L80 swap in an '05 Colorado 4x4 earlier this year. You lose your transfer case (it's too small and weak anyhow) and use another heavier duty GM transfer case. We just had to redesign our original adapter to reclock it to the GMT355 front shaft position. Everything else is pretty much the same as any 4x4 transmission swap.
I would be interested in what transfer case and parts were needed to "redesign" the 6L80 to fit the Canyon Colorado.

·
Registered
13 Posts
can be done, has been done.

21 - 40 of 47 Posts