Chevrolet Colorado & GMC Canyon Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2006 GMC Canyon I just bought 7 months ago and days after I got it I was putting money into it as it things started going wrong I have thousands of dollars in repairs since then now the dealership tells me I need a new transmission I need more I love a Vortec V8 so my questions are #1 would it be easier to replace transmission if I were to pull the motor and transmission at the same time if so what V8engines and transmissions are compatible with the canyon is it possible that way I don’t have a twelve thousand dollars paper weight in my driveway and I save my truck and get the power I want HELP PLEASE

·
Registered
581 Posts
I will offer this advice . Please STOP . A V8 into a Canyon is neither easy or inexpensive . The easier and less expensive way to more power is a factory V8 Canyon or Colorado or to purchase a full size Chevy pickup with V8 power .

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I will offer this advice . Please STOP . A V8 into a Canyon is neither easy or inexpensive . The easier and less expensive way to more power is a factory V8 Canyon or Colorado or to purchase a full size Chevy pickup with V8 power .
So then should I just replace the bad transmission only? I’ve put so much into this truck I but I can’t afford to have it sitting I need it reliable and safe how much would a tranny run for my truck? Thanks for the advice

·
Registered
581 Posts
As you stated just getting the transmission fixed sounds like the best option . Sorry , but I can't help with the cost of fixing the transmission . I suggest calling shops and getting an estimate for a rebuild of your transmission or a rebuilt transmission installed into your truck . This will give you two options and perhaps a cost difference that you can factor into your decision . Good luck .

·
Registered
357 Posts
Greetings MilfieMayhem! A rebuild of the transmission will not be cheap either...

Perhaps you can try looking here for a (hopefully slightly) used auto tranny:

www.car-part.com

I will say this as a long-time stick driver, if the auto transmission gets really expensive to replace and if you can deal with rowing your own gears, manual transmissions can be found pretty stupid cheap. A clutch kit and the manual transmission together is far cheaper than an auto transmission. The gear ratio change and extra gear is also a rather dramatic change too I'd say, I've driven both auto and manual versions of my current truck. The difference in perceived power is real IMHO,(less drivetrain HP loss basically) being able to hold out that gear to the red line makes a big difference too. However, conversion from auto to manual is not an easy or simple process either.

So when you get your transmission taken care of, there are ways to get more power out of your 3.5L 5-cylinder.

Perhaps either a turbo upgrade,(maybe not quite as much involved or expensive as a V8 drop-in) maybe even a PCM tuning would be enough for you. (cheapest effective solution)

If you go the turbo route, your biggest hurdle will be getting a turbo manifold made for you as there are no aftermarket manufacturers. (well there is that one seller on ebay... haha!)

For PCM tuning, I think Supermodulation is still doing them, but there are other folks out there who do PCM tuning as well.

Hope this helps, good luck!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
As you stated just getting the transmission fixed sounds like the best option . Sorry , but I can't help with the cost of fixing the transmission . I suggest calling shops and getting an estimate for a rebuild of your transmission or a rebuilt transmission installed into your truck . This will give you two options and perhaps a cost difference that you can factor into your decision . Good luck .
Th
Greetings MilfieMayhem! A rebuild of the transmission will not be cheap either...

Perhaps you can try looking here for a (hopefully slightly) used auto tranny:

www.car-part.com

I will say this as a long-time stick driver, if the auto transmission gets really expensive to replace and if you can deal with rowing your own gears, manual transmissions can be found pretty stupid cheap. A clutch kit and the manual transmission together is far cheaper than an auto transmission. The gear ratio change and extra gear is also a rather dramatic change too I'd say, I've driven both auto and manual versions of my current truck. The difference in perceived power is real IMHO,(less drivetrain HP loss basically) being able to hold out that gear to the red line makes a big difference too. However, conversion from auto to manual is not an easy or simple process either.

So when you get your transmission taken care of, there are ways to get more power out of your 3.5L 5-cylinder.

Perhaps either a turbo upgrade,(maybe not quite as much involved or expensive as a V8 drop-in) maybe even a PCM tuning would be enough for you. (cheapest effective solution)

If you go the turbo route, your biggest hurdle will be getting a turbo manifold made for you as there are no aftermarket manufacturers. (well there is that one seller on ebay... haha!)

For PCM tuning, I think Supermodulation is still doing them, but there are other folks out there who do PCM tuning as well.

Hope this helps, good luck!
thank you so much I really appreciate the advice I will let you know what I end up doing thanks again

·
Registered
'05 crew cab Canyon, swapping to 6.0 L96Vortex
64 Posts
I have a 2005 Canyon crew cab that I am putting a 2018 6.0 Vortex engine into. The biggest problem is getting the wiring harness finished. I'm talking several months wait.

Rebuilt 4L60e for your truck are 2,000 to 2500 bucks with a 3 year warranty. Plus R+R labor.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts